Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Yesterday I went out with Rodeo Recon, Digger Girl, and Bonzaibrandi (Recon's Girl--and a new Tnet member now!). We were on the trail of an ooooold house site in Indiana. I told them that I wanted to try out my research skills by walking (with the detectors off!) out in the field and getting to where I thought the site had been, and then turning them on. (Rather than our usual procedure of walking out through the fields metal detecting
toward the site, and gradually getting ourselves centered directly on top of it.) Well, we tried it--and no iron graced our ears :-\ But as it turns out, I was only about 30 feet from the edge of the iron patch :thumbsup: Wandering slightly up and over from our initial spot, I got a few choppy iron signals and then BAM! Upon seeing the first piece of the pot-bellied stove come out of the hole, I waved it over my head and yelled "We got a house site!" Ladies and Gentlemen, as soon as I hit that first piece of housesite iron in the cornfield, we were all business! We set up the "base camp"--with plenty of water for a long hot day in the dusty fields, and set to work.

Base Camp R.jpg

Then we started concentrate our mental energy and detecting skills on figuring out the perimeters of the iron patch and artifacts. This took a while, since they were spread over a larger than usual area. We started pounding the cornfields--carefully gridding off rows since there was the benefit of some corn stubble left. Right off I got a pewter button--domed on one side and flat on the other, with an iron stain on the back from the long-ago broken shank. Unfortunately this was one of my few keepers from the hunt. I had the skunk coming eventually--and with as much as Lady Luck has smiled on what I have walked across in the past week, I can't complain :P Besides, I have to talk with great excitement about what the other talented members of the team found. Here’s some photos of our professionals: Rodeo Recon, DG, and BBrandi. I like the shot of the girls taking a short break. Special thanks to Rodeo for some of these awesome photos!

Rodeo R.jpg

DG Hunting R.jpg

The girls resting R.jpg

Just a short time into the hunt, DG got a Beautiful piece of a pewter spoon. I motioned for the others to come over and said "We've got an ooooold site here!" I was thrilled with the prospect of some old coppers and early buttons being recovered. We kept hitting the corn rows with the renewed excitement of older finds coming up.

Then--as I knew they would in a site where pewter was found--the flat buttons started turning up. Rodeo Recon was the Flat Button King on this hunt--and every single one (with the exception of my pewter button) made their way into his collecting pouch. There were several brass flats, a Beautiful larger Tombac button, and a great smaller flat button with a floral motif. :) Then I saw DG staring at something for a while and wondered what in the heck she had. She said "Is this a...." and I saw the copper disk and completed the sentence for her--"LARGE CENT!" Well let me tell you, fellow Tnetters, we've had some Large Copper Imposters here recently--the French Franc that I was so *certain* was a LC that I carried it around in my pocket for hours before discovering the truth :P , the Hard Times Token that gave our pulses a jolt, and now this...so I carefully cleaned it just enough to see some detail. "This is not a LC" I said. It is actually a fantastic piece of local history--a souvenir medallion from the Southern Exposition in Louisville in 1884. Here's a photo of the obverse of the token:

Southern Expo Obverse R.jpg

I was actually able to locate the engraving of the Expo building used in cutting the dies for the token. Here it is, along with the reverse of the dug token:

Southern Expo Reverse R.jpg

Southern Exposition 1884 Engraving.jpg

And a portion of the wikipedia article on the Southern Expo. (The grounds were once where "Old Louisville" sits--and are now covered with blocks and blocks of Victorian mansions.)

The Southern Exposition was a five-year series of World's Fairs held in the city of Louisville, Kentucky from 1883 to 1887 in what is now Louisville's Old Louisville neighborhood. The exposition, held for 100 days each year on 45 acres immediately south of Central Park, which is now the St. James-Belgravia Historic District, was essentially an industrial and mercantile show. At the time, the exposition was larger than any previous American exhibition with the exception of the Centennial Exposition held in Philadelphia in 1876. U.S. President Chester A. Arthur opened the first annual exposition on August 1, 1883.

One highlight of the show was the largest to-date installation of incandescent light bulbs, having been recently invented by Thomas Edison (a resident of Louisville sixteen years before), to bring light to the exposition in the nighttime. 4,600 lamps, more than all the lamps installed in New York City at that time, were used.

For me, the most amazing part of this find is thinking about where the token was found...I won't reveal the location of this particular house site, but I will say that it was a good 45 minute drive by car from Louisville. And that's 45 minutes of travel at 55 or 60 mph. The person who left their house headed for this mercantile show was traveling by horse--and it would've taken most of a whole day to get there. After the long journey to the Ohio River, they would've crossed the river at one of the ferries--arriving either close to 2nd street from the New Albany side, or they might’ve come into Louisville by way of the Portland neighborhood. And then the long trek--block after block--through the city to where Central Park now stands. I would imagine that whoever lived in this house had never seen Louisville before--and I'm sure that such an incredible convention, big buildings, and horse-drawn street cars would've made a lasting impression. This is probably why the token was saved and cherished (notice the fact that it is holed for wearing).

Now back to the hunt... The finds continued--including a hulking brass wedding band for Bonzaibrandi and a beautiful little brass cross for Rodeo. (This is actually one of my favorite finds from the hunt). Unfortunately (and all too soon) it was getting dark. I was still detecting like a man with a fever until the sun was almost down:

Buckles Sunset R.jpg

Sunset Pond R.jpg

Pretty soon, DG had done it again. (She's a force to be reckoned with!). She found a little token which she gave little thought to--thinking it was a brass washer--until we got home for the cleaning party... Here's a photo of our cleaning party, complete with Beer, Pizza, and Hearty Congratulations:

cleaning party R.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As she cleaned it, she realized it said "Abraham Lincoln" on one side, with a date of 1860! Turning it over, you can make out the word "Hannibal"--the first name of Lincoln's running-mate Hannibal Hamlin. This token was a campaign token from Lincoln's bid for the presidency--and it originally contained a thumbnail-sized ferrotype portrait of the two men. Here's a beautiful mint-condition example from the following site, along with photos of the dug token.

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?AuctionItemID=30082

Lincoln R.jpg

lincoln non-dug.jpg

Lincoln Reverse R.jpg

hamlin non-dug.jpg

Obviously the ferrotype itself is long gone due to yearly plowing and fertilizers, but I still consider this one Heck of a find.

Here are photos of all of our keepers from the hunt:

All FindsR.jpg

All Finds Close Up R.jpg

This is history, folks. And this is why I've fallen in love with housesite hunting. Putting together bits and pieces of peoples' lives who are now long gone. I can tell you which way the houses faced from what we recovered on our last three housesite hunts, as well as what types of people lived there (A CW veteran from Thursday's hunt, a Train Pullman from Sunday's hunt, and an intelligent Farmer from Tuesday's hunt--who was religious, politically minded, and took an interest in new inventions in science and agriculture.) Recovering bits of these long-forgotten folks' lives is what it's all about for me. I get to hold the bricks that formed their dwelling, touch the pottery and china that they ate from, and get a sense of what life was like back then. In metal detecting, the experience of digging an old coin is a great one--and don’t get me wrong, I love it!--but it is a thrill that pales in comparison to hunts when such personal items that are found. And in our own desire to be remembered after we're gone, I'm happy that I can give something similar to those vanished faces. Although these people are gone, they live on--and are not forgotten. It is a humbling experience--the realization of how transient life is--and it makes me so incredibly thankful--for them, and for us.

Regards,

Buckleboy

dave in iowa

Jan 29, 2008
iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Track, Minelab S.E. , and a Whites Prizm 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool find and great pictures,

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool BB---That token is top knotch :thumbsup: :thumbsup:---Good pics

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the token, and nice field pics, thanks for sharing!

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like you had a great time and found some awsome items. WTG :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another Great day for your group there Will. That token is the shhizzznit!!! We will get together this coming summer or next fall my friend :wink: :wink:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Another Great day for your group there Will.  That token is the shhizzznit!!!  We will get together this coming summer or next fall my friend :wink: :wink:

You know there ain't nothin to be found in ole Kentucky.  :wink: ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
Great post & pictures. Love the story. You guys & gals for some very cool things. That Abe token is such a neat find as is the medallion too. :thumbsup: Another very productive hunt. Congrats to all of you.
-MM-
P.S. You're right, that ring looks huge!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
It is amazing how some rookie detecting women can become pros in no time. :D Keep the posts coming! :thumbsup:

Bucky, you are on a roll!

Kirk :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post Will, again a nice mixture of finds. I have seen a couple of those Lincoln campaign tokens posted over the years, and my friend from NY found one where the photos were still there but I believe totally unrecognizable. (I think). Your last paragraph on the post about holding history, says it all.
:thumbsup:
Don

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial KirkPA said:
It is amazing how some rookie detecting women can become pros in no time. :D Keep the posts coming! :thumbsup:

Bucky, you are on a roll!

Kirk :thumbsup:

It's the Iron Brigade Training Program. (Formerly known as Buckleboy Boot Camp) :wink: They've all been through it--with the exception of KFB. He was a pro when I met him. :P It's also location. Put 'em on a site where there are goodies. Not too many folks can miss a CW plate 4 inches deep... But in all seriousness, these ladies are Pros. And the types of tiny items found in an uneven, plowed, corn-stubbly field bears that out.

Regards,

Buckleboy

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Relics...Memories shared with friends are worth more than anything. Glad you guys had fun, Cool Pictures. HH

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Buckleboy,
What is the item I have circled here. I have dug several up and probably thrown them away. :-[

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

Baldingboy

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOVE the site pics! Those girls are finding some AWESOME stuff!! :thumbsup: You go girls!

Enjoyed the story, BB. GREAT research!

Fantastic finds!! Congrats! Nana :)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent digs, nice pics/story,

HH

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202
Great post! Love to see the research you put behind all your finds. Ky. has such a rich history and its great to see it firsthand through the eyes of the folks that lived it. Always looks different than the "dry" version you so often find in history books. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread