Is 30 pieces of silver on Good Friday bad luck?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Picked up two boxes of halves each from two banks today. First two don't appear to be anything special. Second two...

First roll had silver! Second roll had silver! Third roll had 3 silver, including a '64!!! The first 12 rolls had at least one, and I've got at least two enders that I'm saving for later. I stopped after 14 rolls, with 18 40%'ers and the one 90%.

:hello2:

So am I superstitious for wanting to open the rest on Saturday? Going to Good Friday services tonight, and don't want to jinx myself...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of curiosity what do you do with the remaining 1/2s that were not keepers? Take back to same bank and get your cash back? Coinstars?

Take them back to a different bank and get your money back. Coinstar charges 9.8%, so it is a bad option.

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, some call us clad lovers, but sometimes clad can be worth way more than silver! Is it possible for you to share with us a photo of the 1982 "no FG" Half dollar?
hh
buff
I can't just hunt for silver; I'd go crazy. That's not to say I look at every coin for errors, but sometimes I get lucky.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I agree, some call us clad lovers, but sometimes clad can be worth way more than silver! Is it possible for you to share with us a photo of the 1982 "no FG" Half dollar?
hh
buff

Will do so in a new thread. I'd like feedback on it anyway, as well as the others I've found.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
FT! That almost triples my best box, congrats on an awesome find!
hh
buff

Thanks! It about doubles my previous best box, which was also from this same bank. Interestingly enough, when this happened previously, the following week I got what must have been the box next to the good one, as it also had a ton of silver. Hoping for the same results this week!

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting, yes, but I seriously doubt if God gives a rip about coincidences.
Open the enders and get another silver or 2, and then you'll have no worries.

BTW, Judas threw the silver back on the steps of the temple, and then
hanged himself for being such a putz.

Actually Judas was murdered by cainites. In another part of the bible it talks about how he was disemboweled then hanged. Kinda hard to hang yourself with ya guts all over the place.

But i would still open the rolls up. the suspense would be driving me crazy.

Hugs, Garoulady

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
Interesting story. Actually yes it was 30 pieces of silver. If you study this out that was the price of a bride back in the Old Testament. So, if you think about Christ bought His Bride "The Church" for 30 pieces of silver. I've often thought about this thought though. Judas wanted and coveted them pieces of silver and once he got them he realized he didn't want them. He tried to take them back and they didn't want them back either. They took the money and bought the field of blood! Good story and glad God had a master plan in mind!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually Judas was murdered by Canaanites. In another part of the bible it talks
about how he was disemboweled then hanged. Kinda hard to hang yourself with ya guts all over the place.

But i would still open the rolls up. the suspense would be driving me crazy.

Hugs, Garoulady

The Canaanites aren't mentioned anywhere in the NT. Are you are confusing Judas Iscariot and Judas the brother of James?
(Matt 18:6 and Acts 1:13, 15:22)

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry but what is the no FG?

There is no initial "FG" for Frank Gasparro, the designer of the Ken half, on the no FG coins. This is a result of over-polished dies. The FG is to the right of the Eagle feathers.

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the "no fg" apply to all Kennedy halves or pertain to certain year and mints?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread