Is a volcano big enough to cause an ice age really about to blow its top?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most potentially destructive volcano on earth, the Yellowstone Caldera in Wyoming (see map), has recently begun experiencing an unusually strong and persistent earthquake swarm that has scientist concerned because it might indicate an impending eruption (see Today's Seismogram Display). Yellowstone is labeled a super volcano, because the pool of magma under the ground is a stunning 34 miles x 45 miles in size. Large enough that an eruption is expected to eject sufficient material to plunge the entire planet into a new ice age. The ridge shown in the photo is the rim of the huge caldera from the last eruption. Ash recovered from sediment over wide areas of North America shows that Yellowstone has had previous super volcanic eruptions 2.1 million, 1.3 million and 640,000 years ago.

http://breakthroughalert.com/2008/12/is-volcano-big-enough-to-cause-ice-age.html

P

pippinwhitepaws

http://www.yellowstonenationalpark.com/calderas.htm

"Ash blasted into the stratosphere circled the earth several times causing unusually beautiful sunsets in London early that summer. In 1816, mean temperatures in the northern hemisphere dropped by half to more than 1° E Farmers in Europe and America called this the year without a summer."

this caldera is wandering to the north east.
national geographic did a fine program on this caldera.

global warming is a lay term invented to help explain the dramatic change in the climate.

most of arizona's natural lakes are dry. most of the man made reservoirs are at all time lows. almost a decade of drought conditions in most of the west.

oh yea, and the northwest passage, once thought to be a mythical, is now open for business.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it will Melt My snow

P

pippinwhitepaws

another tiny earthquake just occurred in Yellowstone...i have the USGS earthquake site on my favorites...the earth is sure busy rearranging.

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
i guess its possible if you look at the timelines between eruptions they are getting closer by ruffly half each time (2.1 million yrs,1.3 million yrs,640 yrs ) maybe its over due..scary thought

Purrdee

Dec 9, 2008
Davis Co. Utah
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
pippinwhitepaws said:
another tiny earthquake just occurred in Yellowstone...i have the USGS earthquake site on my favorites...the earth is sure busy rearranging.

Will you please share that link....I've been everywhere trying to find it....guess not the right spot, though.

P

pippinwhitepaws

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/index.php

the frightening thing about this caldera historically, it is moving northwest..oh, the way i understand the topic, the closer to the surface of the earth, the more destructive the quake.
todays quake, while small, was close to the surface.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I've seen the show on the discover channel about Yellowstone, if it blows, most of the western 2/3rds of the US will be unihabitable within 2 weeks

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF it happened, we'll be running south/south west, in a hurry.

The local authorities think its nothing - but they are all watching intently. The more major authorities are a tad concerned.

I figure - I don't think I can change it, so...................................

B

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my Attitude

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are we talking a major extinction event? From what I understand all of North America would be uninhabitable and the whole planet would plunge into a major ice age.
That is if enough smaller eruptions begin and the whole caldera becomes one giant eruption! 2012 only 3 years away!

K

Kentucky Kache

I'd be more worried about California slipping into the ocean. That's GONNA happen.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a sunset in Wisconsin 5-days after St. Helen blew. . . all the ash in the upper atmosphere refracting the light.

Door-1.jpg

Attachments

• Door-1.jpg
    Door-1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 320

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I've seen the show on the discover channel about Yellowstone, if it blows, most of the western 2/3rds of the US will be unihabitable within 2 weeks.
=========================================================================
I saw one program where it said if Yellowstone would erupt it would set off seismic activity that would
cause the west coast to disappear into the Pacific & also split the country in half along the Mississippi
River along the fault lines there. Besides the tragedy here, imagine the size of the tsunami that would
be racing west across the Pacific.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think there will be any place safe if either an eruption or major quake happens everyplace will be effected in someway with the growing season, soil content or from gang members that survive relocating to a smaller area your area! Then of course you have weapons all over that when an earthquake happens ... what happenes to them?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread