Is anyone else having job troubles?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Hey guys! I just got back from picking up my paycheck today. My last $100 paycheck :( I only get 5.5 hours next week. At least I get paid $9.50 an hour, but still. Is anyone else feeling the push on the economy really hard? I mean I can't believe that I only get 5.5 hours next week. I am a good employee and yeah I make stupid mistakes sometimes, but who doesn't? I mean really. I am just venting. At least I will have more time to Metal detect and CRH! :) Glad I bought my Minelab SE before the economy crashed :D

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
You are not alone. I've been 'retired' since mid January. The job prospects are Zero, but I still look and send out the resumes. I just hope the IRS doesn't find out about that little jar of coins I have.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still lookin for a job here and they are getting more and more scarce I've been jobless sincs Oct. just subbing in the schools right now but I need more hours. SIL got laid off his job 2 weeks ago. Unless your an OTR or an RN LPN CNA ect. there is nothing Conoco moving 250 jobs away if you still want to work for them and nother 700 by 2011 but not the refinery workers. We have lost 2 clothing stores this year and are opening 2 new places to eat but I cant speak Spanish.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2nd lay-off for me this year...could be a long one this time....
Things are bad here too...no job listings in the papers anymore...at least none for me.

Counted the ads in yesterdays paper....15 help wanted ads...for how many tens of thousands out of work in this area?

Notch up the belt...gonna be a wild ride.

Al

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been out of work since Nov. Got severance, etc. that helped a lot. Got enough $ for a while, but really don't want to spend it.

70% of jobs are gotten by knowing someone...not posted in the newspaper or online. I would suggest getting involved in some networking groups in your area. I've had one interview, but don't know the outcome yet. Have another recruiter that wants to see me about a position available (6-month contract, $43/hr)...it's downtown which sucks, but I'd take it without hesitation.

Keep sending out the resumes and follow-up...call everyone you know. Print out business cards and give them to everyone you talk to.

Hopefully I will be employed before I have to live off clad..."will detect for food".

Beep

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I got cut the week before Christmas. :(

Bran <><

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Sorry that everyone is laid off and out of work.

I thank God everyday that my hubby still has a full time job, money isn't that great, but it is better than nothing.

Sue

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Taco Bell by my house, just remember I don't like the tomatos on my crunchies.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Even the fast food places are not hiring around here. Unemployment is in double digits. A convenience mart/gas station put on their sign they were hiring the other day at minimum wage and part time.....they had to turn applicants away after their 80 applications they had printed were gone. Pretty scary! I am so very blessed to have the job I have!

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
I'm on my third layoff since 22 december and the days I do work is for
a $1.50 pay cut from before the layoffs. I'm one of the lucky 900 that
get some work from the 3000 we had last year before the politicians
talked the economy into the ground. I expect less than nothing from
the democrat spending of $1.5 trillion of our money. I also expect that
GM and Chrysler will either grow a set or go under with all the federal
help they are getting. Ford is still standing and holding its own and will
not be forced to follow the new government regs. Maybe you could get
on as a security guard / night watchman at all the shuttered factories.
Son is on indefinite layoff from the same plant. I expect he will be off
work until at least late April. Wife went back to work Monday after
unpaid medical leave for surgery and is getting two 8 hour days and
one 4 hour day per week at a major grocery store. Try late night
retail or cleaning crew. siegfried schlagrule

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out this morning (I just got home from work a couple of hours ago), that we might be shutting down part of our store - and there will be some more "let go".

Not exactly sure what their plan is yet - I suspect we are going to stop being open 24/7. (that's a least 4 people) Should know by next week where the axe is going to fall.

B

OP
OP
Detectingfreak

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Yeah it sucks that the job market is in such trouble. I just found out on last wednessday that we are changing our hours. So we close at 9 instead of 10 on weeknights. :(

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
I feel bad even replying to this thread...I'm lucky in the sense that we currently have more work than we can handle for the foreseeable future....But the circumstances are unique compared to most others in my line of work...Even so...given the current economic conditions...I'm not naive enough to think everything couldn't change in a heartbeat...So though I could spend...I'm not...which is probably what many folks with "secure" employment are doing...Unfortunately...as more and more people adapt this bunker down mentality...it only adds fuel to the fire... and probably is going to eventually lead to employment problems hitting closer to home for all of us...Quite the dilemma...I can only offer sympathy to those out of work or being cut back...and hope that we are all resourceful enough to get through the tough times that lay ahead..

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Detectingfreak said:
Yeah it sucks that the job market is in such trouble. I just found out on last wednessday that we are changing our hours. So we close at 9 instead of 10 on weeknights. :(

What do you do for work?

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I still have a job right now but I have had to do the task of laying off 12 people under me :-\ I have also had to take a 10% pay cut.

If things dont pick up soon my job will be gone also......

VPR

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The retail store Lil' Lowbatts works at is closing, she's done there next month, they are opening two new ones along the Randall Road strips, but are not offering any of the jobs there to existing employees except those in management.

But it's all good with Mrs. Lowbatts and me, we'd just as soon she stick with school until she gets that done.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it be bad out there i got in 4.5 hrs last week >:(

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Maybe we should have a resume' section here... no comments, just posted resumes'... It can be called: TreasureNet Job Hunters

Times is tough... some of us might be able to help in someway.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
good idea Zesty! I was thinking earlier it would be nice to know what kinds of work folks were trained for in case another tnetter knew of work in their field.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Cynangyl said:
good idea Zesty! I was thinking earlier it would be nice to know what kinds of work folks were trained for in case another tnetter knew of work in their field.

I'll post the suggestion... thanks cyn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread