Is anyone else having job troubles?

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Montana Jim, I posted this on your link but I will post it here also...In my area, north central Texas, alot of companies are looking for saltwater haulers...If you have a CDL and a tanker endorsement you can apply at about 20 companies just in a 40 mile radius of my home...One drawback is that you work 12 hour days on a rotating schedule, usually 4 on 2 off...Another is that most of them want you to start working nights...

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, you are right maybe a different way of posting such as :icon_scratch: Looking for work as .....
or in my area a company is looking for a experienced ..... insead of much personal info.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Mental Granny said:
Jim, you are right maybe a different way of posting such as :icon_scratch: Looking for work as .....
or in my area a company is looking for a experienced ..... insead of much personal info.

Yea... no personal information...

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Detectingfreak said:
Hey guys! I just got back from picking up my paycheck today. My last $100 paycheck :( I only get 5.5 hours next week. At least I get paid $9.50 an hour, but still. Is anyone else feeling the push on the economy really hard? I mean I can't believe that I only get 5.5 hours next week. I am a good employee and yeah I make stupid mistakes sometimes, but who doesn't? I mean really. I am just venting. At least I will have more time to Metal detect and CRH! :) Glad I bought my Minelab SE before the economy crashed :D

Hang in there and keep the faith.

The job problem is on purpose and once they have most of the real estate and the masses are mostly renters--jobs (if you can call them that) will return.

The plan is to make a world full of slaves who think they're free.

Every American ought to be thinking--who are we, where did we come from, and where are we going? But alas, the few would rather we not think.

Badger

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MB you are probably right but, to rent a decent house any around here you have to have a high paying job to have the money to pay rent. People here are use to Conoco $ It has always had $ for this town, and landlords are use to getting it, the only ones that will be able to afford a nice home will be the drug dealers.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MB you are probably right but, to rent a decent house any around here you have to have a high paying job to have the money to pay rent. People here are use to Conoco $ It has always had $ for this town, and landlords are use to getting it, the only ones that will be able to afford a nice home will be the drug dealers.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Evy as more people are out of work and Conoco is no longer paying anyone what they need to pay those rents many of those landlords will also be hurting badly...they have big mortgages on those homes and will not be able to find people that can afford the rent to live in them at the price they have been charging and once they lower rents to what it costs them to have the house they can't afford to lower the rent any further and still make the payment on the house....many of those homes will end up forclosed as well.....then the banks (or the governments that may own those banks by then) will have a lot more property.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be nice we have a lot of NICE houses that are sitting empty have been for a couple of years people dont want the blue collar workers in those ares of town so they just sit empty it is a shame alot of those houses Cononco owns, see when people moved here and opened to areas to build the people in these nice areas alot worked for the company now and over the last few years they are being moved but, alot of them Conoco bought the houses from them those are the ones Dr.'s and other bigger $ people have been buying but the ones that Conoco did not buy the people put alot of their own $ in and they want their investment back. And as it is right now they are not gonna get it! I hope things change for the better.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Mental Granny said:

I'm a "landlord" myself with waterfront type property and I'm to the point where I'm extremely overjoyed if someone offers to rent. I have one place that's worth $1200 a month easy and I can't get $700 for it. It's a good thing it's paid for! Like you say--people don't have the money.

But this is the whole point. See, the real estate wanted by the mega rich includes those condominiums now owned my the moderately wealthy or disappearing middle class.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Mental Granny said:
That would be nice we have a lot of NICE houses that are sitting empty have been for a couple of years people dont want the blue collar workers in those ares of town so they just sit empty it is a shame alot of those houses Cononco owns, see when people moved here and opened to areas to build the people in these nice areas alot worked for the company now and over the last few years they are being moved but, alot of them Conoco bought the houses from them those are the ones Dr.'s and other bigger $ people have been buying but the ones that Conoco did not buy the people put alot of their own $ in and they want their investment back. And as it is right now they are not gonna get it! I hope things change for the better.

Evy as more people are out of work and Conoco is no longer paying anyone what they need to pay those rents many of those landlords will also be hurting badly...they have big mortgages on those homes and will not be able to find people that can afford the rent to live in them at the price they have been charging and once they lower rents to what it costs them to have the house they can't afford to lower the rent any further and still make the payment on the house....many of those homes will end up forclosed as well.....then the banks (or the governments that may own those banks by then) will have a lot more property.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan Badger said:
Detectingfreak said:
Hey guys! I just got back from picking up my paycheck today. My last $100 paycheck :( I only get 5.5 hours next week. At least I get paid $9.50 an hour, but still. Is anyone else feeling the push on the economy really hard? I mean I can't believe that I only get 5.5 hours next week. I am a good employee and yeah I make stupid mistakes sometimes, but who doesn't? I mean really. I am just venting. At least I will have more time to Metal detect and CRH! :) Glad I bought my Minelab SE before the economy crashed :D

Hang in there and keep the faith.

The job problem is on purpose and once they have most of the real estate and the masses are mostly renters--jobs (if you can call them that) will return.

The plan is to make a world full of slaves who think they're free.

Every American ought to be thinking--who are we, where did we come from, and where are we going? But alas, the few would rather we not think.

Badger

:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

mishawakian

Feb 16, 2009
Mishawaka,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizum IV
I have not worked since the day after the Superbowl and that was only for 6 hours.

I already have filed,received,spent my tax return.I set aside money to purchase my detector.

I am a divorced father of 2 children.

When the work was good and the money was coming in,everything was good.We would go on short trips and shows.
Now it has gotten hard to face my children, when I have to tell them no,sorry,I can't.
They listen but I feel that they don't understand.
I know it's not just me,but it's a hundred,a thousand,maybe a million, other people through out the world like me.
My philosophy is, instead of the job coming to me, I should go get the job.Where?

My detecting has really put my mind at ease.
While out, its just me and my machine.Alone in a park searching for something that is lost.Maybe just maybe someone will find me.....

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Hang in there....I was a single parent of two as well and I know how it hurts to say no so much! My philosophy for parenting was always "do your best and pray the rest" but it sure was challenging at times. Thankfully we always managed to get by even when it made no logical sense how. That prayin works! :wink: I will be praying for those on here who are trying so hard and needing work.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was off work all of last year so I went on vacation all summer long; severance pay.
When I started looking for a new gig in the fall every thing went into the crapper. I finally landed employment through a skilled trades employment agency. I tried all the resume stuff with out any luck. Went on my first interview through the employment agency and was hired the same day and in my field to.

My advice is; make landing that new position you new full time job

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I had permission to go on a weeks vacation in Dec 2007 and on the 3rd day, my boss called me and asked where I was. I told him that he agreed that I could take a vacation. He said he forgot and I was needed at work.I told him I had made previous plans for the week, and he said OK.

He fired me for taking the vacation that he said I could take. So I have been looking since Jan 2008 and haven't found anything. I am getting unemplyment, but it is due to end in a few more weeks.

Some of you people are lucky you only been out of work a short time.

Glad I had some money saved up. Looks like it won't get better for a while. :( :(

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn.... I really feel bad for you guys. My heart goes out to you, all. Luckily and I mean luckily, I managed to make it to retirement because if I was working today, I have no doubt that I'd be laid off. I retired from IBM and they have been laying off left and right over the last few years.

Hang tough, hopefully all this economic BS will settle down soon.

GeorgiaFlutterby

Aug 6, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I work at a prison and we have had massive buyouts and layoffs are on the way. I am praying but jobs are becoming more and more scarce around here. My prayers are with those who have lost jobs and for those in danger of losing their jobs.

Georgiaflutterby

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
GeorgiaFlutterby said:
I work at a prison and we have had massive buyouts and layoffs are on the way. I am praying but jobs are becoming more and more scarce around here. My prayers are with those who have lost jobs and for those in danger of losing their jobs.

Georgiaflutterby

Now that's a scary notion! Can't say enough good about you folks doing that work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread