Is anyone else saving the found Pull Tabs for the heck of it?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
they are aluminum ( and as such by the pound worth while) * keep the valuible scrap metals that you find that can be "scrapped" --get some 5 gal buckets -- sort it dump it the the correct bucket upon returning -- over time it adds up . money is how you find it.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never saved pull tabs but I spent many hours mentally devising inhumane horrible gastly ways to murder the guy who invented them. Then I found out he was already dead and it ruined my whole pastime. Monty

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make a hatband out of them. We all thought that was pretty cool back in 69 or 70.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
whe i was a little guy back in the early 70s my aunts boyfriend made a top hat out of the pull tabs wore it to prom they booted him and i went to the prom with my aunt in my 70s stars and stripes big smith overalls and a lenny dawson kc chiefs jerseyany of you elder tneters remember lenny dawson

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I just recycle them for the fun of it.

That way I don't find them again till they have been pulled and tossed from another can.

They are purposely tossed on the ground to give us practice recognizing junk signals.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I throw em in a 5 gallon bucket an will recycle em , free gas an battery money

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I keep all items I find. Pull tabs, nail, foil, copper an metal. I have 3 buckets at home and when I get back from detecting I sort out my finds to the correct bucket and at the end of the year I take it in and sellit for scrap. Every little bit of money helps......Matt

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't, but I have had kids tagging along with me who save them, I think alot of schools collect them and cash them in to donate to charity.

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I commented about pulltabs in a thread a couple of months ago. I said that a friend with a 9-year-old grandson asked me if I would save my found pulltabs for the boy's school recycling contest. That made finding them much less aggravating. Each time I saw him I'd present him with a baggie full of tabs. He and the kid appreciated it and it made digging all signals an easier choice. :)

scrubber

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are finding pull tabs you are in the correct range to locate a gold ring.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Sandman said:
If you are finding pull tabs you are in the correct range to locate a gold ring.

Still looking for that gold ring. I must be getting close judging by the number of pull tabs I keep finding. :laughing9:

I only save them till I pass a trash can. Then I made a deposit.

Ray S

E

elle

PLEASE FELLOW DETECTORISTS...DON'T THROW AWAY THE PULL TABS!

Yes...everyone is right about pulltabs for charity!
I find mega amounts of pulltabs also and I have a solution for you.

The Ronal McDonald House Charities focuses on the critical needs of children...it wants to help the families of children who are sick and being treated in local hospitals. The Ronald McDonald House allows family members to stay there while the children are being helped...and it saves the family money from not staying in hotels.

http://rmhc.org/how-you-can-help/donate/

Please...our parish has been collecting pulltabs for ten years now and have donated great amounts of money to the Ronald McDonald House connected to the University of Chicago Hospital. It helps pay for many things as there is even a kitchen in this house. You would be helping the families of sick children...and that is GREAT!

If anyone does not have a Ronald McDonald House in their state, please SEND ME A MESSAGE and I will give you my address. I will personally take them to the recycling center and donate the $ that way.
This is a perfect way for all us detecting people to help the community with our trash, right?
Just save the pull tabs in a milk jug for one year's time like I do and then send them to me.

I truly appreciate your help...if we help donate alittle...it will go a long way...especially for the sick kids!

Laura

p.s. Or P.M. me and I will find out where the nearest Ronald McDonald House is by you and where you could send them, ok?
Please take the time to do this...because I know we could raise lots of money for this charity!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:

And that's a lot of why I've found 21 rings in the last 3 years, half of them gold.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to save them. I had a couple 5 gallon buckets worth, took several years to get that many. Gave them to my nephew. My sister moved out of state. Now I just throw them away, however if things don't get any better I may start saving all scrap metals just for the extra money. Actually I should already be doing that anyway.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Ok, here is my question. If I have a 5 gallon bucket full of pull tabs, how much will it be worth if I turn it in ( recycle it)? Anybody ever do it?
??? ??? ???
Ray S

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pour them into a large plastic bag and weigh them and then call the metal place and ask how much they are giving for a pound. Do the math. I'm sorry I hate the darn things and don't save them. Am I a bad person? Monty

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Pour them into a large plastic bag and weigh them and then call the metal place and ask how much they are giving for a pound. Do the math. I'm sorry I hate the darn things and don't save them. Am I a bad person? Monty

Nope, you're not a bad person for that. But the guy who invented the freakin' things? He should be out picking up every one of them. :angry5: They shouldn't have been made so easy to remove from the can.

scrubber

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread