Is deeper better?

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last weekend I found a pretty good spot for gold. It was on a river behind a really large boulder, the boulder was about 5'x4'x4', I know large rocks can be hot spots but I was wondering if it pays to try to get deeper on the back side of the boulder? I was able to get a couple shovel fulls out and it is tough digging going deeper but I want to try it. No matter what the response is I'll probably try but I am trying to understand how gold placement works. Could there be more gold from older deposits deeper or did I probably get the majority of it because it was stopped from sinking any further by the layer of boot sized rocks and gravel?? Like I said I'll give anything a shot but I am really trying to figure this whole thing out. Thanks!!! If I give it a try I'll let you know how it goes!

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Double check the rules before you go digging into the bank. I'm not at all familiar with what mining laws/rules are in our state, but I know many areas strictly forbid digging into the bank.

As far as moving the boulder, I'm thinking the easiest way would be for you to sample around and find the direction you would LEAST want to be working for gold. Let's assume that is heading into the water. Simply dig a hole up to the rock and even under it about 18"-24". Then get behind it with an 8' 2x4, place a log or rock for a fulcrum and use the board to tilt the boulder into the hole and farther from where you want to get material. If you need to move it more, then dig repeat the process going a little deeper. That's a lot of rock to be trying to move by hand.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess what I didn't do was take a picture of the backside of the rock where I was digging. The current flow is going towards the tree roots so my digging was on the side of the rock you can't see, I was assuming the rock would have broken the current causing gold to drop off behind it in high water conditions.
KCM-I'm not too concerned about moving the boulder, I was more asking what area of the boulder deserves my time and if it was worth it to go deeper. I did go quite deep behind that boulder and found some gold but nothing earth shattering, I don't think it was any more than I found near the surface. I would almost think if I were to roll some of the smaller rocks out of the way it could be good because with that amount of flow disruption the gold may be falling in the crevices between the rocks.
Goldenmojo-There really isn't a distinct gravel bar and I am in almost a cove on the river, technically it's an outside bend but the river on the opposite side of where I am is straight, it's basically a straight run with the little cove I'm in. I love that spot though, some of the bigger gold(for Mn) has come from there. It's amazing how much it takes to add up though! My little vile doesn't even have the bottom covered yet!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a flock of turkeys near Featherville Id.They had beards so long , for a minute I thought I was at a ZZ Top concert

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw a flock of turkeys near Featherville Id.They had beards so long , for a minute I thought I was at a ZZ Top concert

Ha awesome! I was just happy to get a tom. I had two jakes strutting and gobbling within range but I didn't have a clear shot with the bow, they were afraid to come out to my tom decoy, the tom I shot ran right up to my decoy to fight him, then I drilled him.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! Not at all Jeff. In Id in the Winter time, you'd better grow one.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You know, we've (I've) been talking so long about moving that dang rock that I didn't even remember what this thread was about! :tard: ....Just went back to see who got this on the boulder-moving idea anyhow; the Jerk!! :angry5: .....Oh, it was 'me'. :wave:

Got home last night - I was BEAT! But kept trying to understand (in my exhaustion) just WHY you wanted that dang rock moved! ....Tell you what, you go dig deeper so I can come stick my head in the hole and leave it there. :occasion14: ...All that good thinkin', shot to heck! :protest:

...Save a drumstick for me. :laughing9:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the pic it gives a little to work with. I suggest you work on this side of the boulder (as pictured) also. Dig that hump of cobble behind the watermelon sized rock clear into the bank where the boulder has the little shadow. Dig down deep and sample pan as you go counting the colors per pan. The boulder looks stable but if you dig three or four feet down be careful not to undercut it to much and roll it over. Learning to clear a pan in a couple of minutes while keeping the gold is the best skill you can have. I would suggest working that cutout down by the leaning tree also and just general sampling the whole area of small boulders. Across the river from this spot is there a cobble bar or behind where you are taking a picture is there a cobble bar or does the cobble just hug the bank? It looks to be an outside sweep you are working. As always gold is where you find it so every pan becomes a sample pan. If you find more color in one place than another look at the river and conditions carefully and try to imagine what caused the gold to drop in that particular spot and you will be a little closer to finding gold on a regular basis. Good luck. Send more pics.

Excellent advice as usual GM. Once the above is done, I would dig straight down on the right side to clear a path for the boulder to go in the river. That's a big sum b***** and it's throwing over 1/2 it's weight to bank side. Sample as you go of course and then switch over to the opposite (bank side) and repeat. Now grab your 8 foot pry bar and use that watermelon size rock for a fulcrum. You should be able to move it some. When it does move up, support it with rocks (or what's available) to keep your progress. When it binds up (it will) it's likely to be on the water side. You may have to give up some progress to find and remove the bind before proceeding.

Now...I've done that with smaller rocks but not one as big as yours and your's looks to be a two man job. Not only so one can pry while the other chocks but because you're new at this so safety first. BTW, it's likely if you do flip the rock, the water will divert into your hole, if it hasn't already seeped in by then.

There is some good info right here in this forum, especially one that that has an older video. Try a search of "moving boulders".
Here's one thread that will keep you busy...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...big-rocks-boulders-making-bouldering-kit.html

Here is what I began learning and using. there are a series of them on YouTube (Thanks again RotGrub)...

Good luck!

Earlier this month I went into a coin shop and the owner said the largest nugget he had bought recently came out from under a rock much like yours. After they moved it, they almost had given up but scoured the bedrock and found a 2.8 oz nugget

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I did not read the other post, just figured I would say what I know. Follow the gold, test as you go, if it increases then follow it, if it decreases then sort a new plan. Take every last gram in the area and leave no rock unturned.

Just makes rue what ever you do, that you are safe about it leave the area safe for whom or whatever may visit later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread