Is Ebay RIFing Sellers?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
deserdog:

So far, I've had very good luck shipping the next day (or same day if I get paid early enough - I'm in California). I email the Buyer with the notice that the book(s) sent USPS Media Mail, and when to expect them (adding a day or two from the Post Office estimate). I do my best to manage Buyer expectations.

I am also a professional packager! Very important.

So far, so good...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

2.0: Single items I send First Class because at 13 oz. or less it's the same price or cheaper than Media Mail.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggum you could not be more correct! I have a lot more to add but if I said it all here, Im sure it would upset a few people.

I was starting to think I was the only one who thinks ebay is great, everything runs fairly smooth, and I've accepted a long time ago that there's a cost to do business. I pay ebay about as much for fees per month as what my monthly bills are, but if I didn't pay them, I wouldn't be able to pay me! (and my bills) Without Ebay I am pretty sure (extremely sure) I'd never own my own business and be able to work for myself. It's sort of the same way as my thinking on detecting has changed.... back in the day it was all about the finds, to dig the rarest most valuable biggest wow factor target, but as I get older I will admit I'm still after the big one, but the hunt, adventure, fresh air... and all that stuff not really related to the find has gained a lot of importance. I compare that to Ebay because it's easy to get caught up in trying to make the most money possible, and want this and want that, but at the end of the day the real value for me in selling on ebay is being able to do something I love, do it for myself, and allows me to work at my own schedule and pace. It took me many years to realize I'm actually doing my dream job, so I don't take it for granted, and don't make a fuss about the little things. Non paying buyers don't really bother me at all, because I know if you sell a lot, it will happen. You just deal with it and move on. There's also going to be other losses for various reasons, but guess what, that's how it goes for basically any business. If ebay shut it's doors tomorrow I'm sure many of those who complain would look back and think it wasn't so bad after all.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is RIFing?

RIF = Reduction in Force.

I stopped selling on FeeBay years ago. I just couldn't make money on the inexpensive items ($10.00 and less) that was making me good money for over a year.

Even at my price range average I had some bad buyers. (good buyer doesn't mean they paid on paypal) I had one who yelled and screamed he didn't get his item even with delivery confirmation, another who complained about the condition of an item even though everything he complained about was clearly stated in the ad and shown in pictures. Lots of buyers trying to take advantage of sellers. Those few ruin the process for many people.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Single items I send First Class because at 13 oz. or less it's the same price or cheaper than Media Mail.

My favorite postal clerk just did that for me yesterday. 1st class was 10 cents cheaper than media mail. He is always looking for ways to save me shipping money.

Almost everyone is complaining about ebay fees. They do add up (my account is around $60 for October) That seems a lot but that means I sold around $500 and I can't complain about that.

What no one has complained about are the postoffice fees. ;)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite postal clerk just did that for me yesterday. 1st class was 10 cents cheaper than media mail. He is always looking for ways to save me shipping money.

Almost everyone is complaining about ebay fees. They do add up (my account is around $60 for October) That seems a lot but that means I sold around $500 and I can't complain about that.

What no one has complained about are the postoffice fees. ;)

No one complains about the post office because they think the buyer is paying, not them!

$60? I'll take that! I literally have to make small payments in advance so I don't have the entire bill come down on me on the 15th.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dont forget people: If you are paying alot in fees then you are making money. Period.
Well...you're at least making lots of sales....doesn't have to follow that you're making lots of profit. Any fool can make lots of sales...just make the price low enough. The trick in business is to make lots of "profitable" sales...LOL EBay doesn't care of you make a profit...just sales.
Jim

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Well...you're at least making lots of sales....doesn't have to follow that you're making lots of profit. Any fool can make lots of sales...just make the price low enough. The trick in business is to make lots of "profitable" sales...LOL EBay doesn't care of you make a profit...just sales.
Jim

1. Thats up to you to make a profit.
2. Some people sell stuff on ebay just to get rid of it as an alternative to pawning it, selling it at a yard sale, throwing it away, giving it away. Not everyone is in business.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim

That's exactly right. My numbers are big enough that people from the outside who don't know the whole story probably think I'm getting rich fast... but when you take out the cost of the item and all the expenses incurred, it gets knocked down to a pretty small % of profit. For many years I didn't really do the numbers I do now, but did a fair amount, and could buy items, list for a buck, and only break even or lose maybe once or twice per 100 sales! But since I started selling more, and there being much more competition, if I did the 0.99 cent start thing for everything I would probably have a couple grand worth of sales every month that was either break even or a loss. That's easily $300+ gone, so it's very true big numbers mean very little. Just look at multi million dollar companies that go under, they still sell a huge amount of product but if all the loose ends aren't tied tight they fall apart and that's it. I think when a person finds out someone Ebays for a living, they probably think you live in poverty selling a few trinkets, when the truth is there's quite a bit involved to make it work well. It's like a real job!

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Thats up to you to make a profit.
2. Some people sell stuff on ebay just to get rid of it as an alternative to pawning it, selling it at a yard sale, throwing it away, giving it away. Not everyone is in business.
Some of us do it for fun as a hobby too. I like going to garage sales and estate sales to see what I can find for little or nothing. I sell enough to make my money back plus a small profit. Some stuff I keep for myself for display or I'll put it in a box for a rainy day. If work starts running slow, i'll pull out a box or two and start listing. By the time I sell anything that's packed away, it's all 100% profit. How? Because as I stated, I sell enough from jump street to make my original monies back, plus a small profit. So for me, it's a hobby that pays for itself and then some.
I think when a person finds out someone Ebays for a living, they probably think you live in poverty selling a few trinkets, when the truth is there's quite a bit involved to make it work well. It's like a real job!
It is a real job if you do it full time. I fear that if I had to depend on it to make my living, it would take the fun out of hunting and picking.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's exactly right. My numbers are big enough that people from the outside who don't know the whole story probably think I'm getting rich fast... but when you take out the cost of the item and all the expenses incurred, it gets knocked down to a pretty small % of profit. For many years I didn't really do the numbers I do now, but did a fair amount, and could buy items, list for a buck, and only break even or lose maybe once or twice per 100 sales! But since I started selling more, and there being much more competition, if I did the 0.99 cent start thing for everything I would probably have a couple grand worth of sales every month that was either break even or a loss. That's easily $300+ gone, so it's very true big numbers mean very little. Just look at multi million dollar companies that go under, they still sell a huge amount of product but if all the loose ends aren't tied tight they fall apart and that's it. I think when a person finds out someone Ebays for a living, they probably think you live in poverty selling a few trinkets, when the truth is there's quite a bit involved to make it work well. It's like a real job!
LOL...it is a real job. And you should be proud if you do it well, and make it work. Too many people in this country have been indoctrinated to believe businessmen are evil. We should celebrate every single person who has the guts, and determination, to make a business work. It's not easy, and most people fail at it. If you're making it work, my hat's off to you.
Jim

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of us do it for fun as a hobby too. I like going to garage sales and estate sales to see what I can find for little or nothing. I sell enough to make my money back plus a small profit. Some stuff I keep for myself for display or I'll put it in a box for a rainy day. If work starts running slow, i'll pull out a box or two and start listing. By the time I sell anything that's packed away, it's all 100% profit. How? Because as I stated, I sell enough from jump street to make my original monies back, plus a small profit. So for me, it's a hobby that pays for itself and then some.

It is a real job if you do it full time. I fear that if I had to depend on it to make my living, it would take the fun out of hunting and picking.

That's one thing I can say, it did not take the fun out of it. ebay for me is like a candy store... can't wait to get done the work side of things and go shopping... or as i call it... E-tecting!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...it is a real job. And you should be proud if you do it well, and make it work. Too many people in this country have been indoctrinated to believe businessmen are evil. We should celebrate every single person who has the guts, and determination, to make a business work. It's not easy, and most people fail at it. If you're making it work, my hat's off to you.
Jim

It is a business, but the frustration for me is the nature of how it works it's a tough thing to grow into something much bigger. But that's ok and I can live with it because I do like doing my own thing.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one thing I can say, it did not take the fun out of it. ebay for me is like a candy store... can't wait to get done the work side of things and go shopping... or as i call it... E-tecting!

Right there with you! It is amazing how much stuff gets sold on ebay for much less than it is worth! I probably make half of my money re selling things that I bought on the bay.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Right there with you! It is amazing how much stuff gets sold on ebay for much less than it is worth! I probably make half of my money re selling things that I bought on the bay.

I envy you guys. I havent been able to figure that one out yet...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There you go, something to do this winter when there are no sales. I would think it involves much time spent searching and researching on there. I would also think that it involves items maybe sitting for a little longer that some of us may be used to. Not to mention smaller profit margins compared to garage sale finds.

A candy store... nice. I feel that way sometimes at a particular sale that I may be at. I just don't know what to grab first. It's good to know that it's still fun for you. If I ever did have to fall back on it out of necessity or even desire, I see myself working 80-100 hours a week doing it, all said and done. But when you like what your doing, it really isn't work, or so they say.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can relate to that because if I was to start shopping for things I don't typically buy I'd be steamrolled. Another example is what's posted here, I don't know squat about it... but with that said I have good enough gut feelings to probably buy most if the price was cheap. It's when there's risk the game changes, and I'd be out. A friend of mine once bragged up his friend who was buying art and using a website to help get the IDs. He was pretty impressed, but I wasn't, because he was getting the paintings at small town sales and only paying low amounts which he knew just the ebay exposure would cover him. The people who really know what they're doing don't have to count on getting a steal, they can pay a bit below market and still turn a profit. That is the reason I can buy and sell every week on ebay and make money, because I don't have to count on getting things dirt cheap. That still does happen because of how much I buy, but it only accounts for a small % of my profit. I think most people who do the garage sales count on cheap prices more than they do a wealth of experience or knowledge, but that's not really a bad thing because it leans anyone can do it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can relate to that because if I was to start shopping for things I don't typically buy I'd be steamrolled. Another example is what's posted here, I don't know squat about it... but with that said I have good enough gut feelings to probably buy most if the price was cheap. It's when there's risk the game changes, and I'd be out. A friend of mine once bragged up his friend who was buying art and using a website to help get the IDs. He was pretty impressed, but I wasn't, because he was getting the paintings at small town sales and only paying low amounts which he knew just the ebay exposure would cover him. The people who really know what they're doing don't have to count on getting a steal, they can pay a bit below market and still turn a profit. That is the reason I can buy and sell every week on ebay and make money, because I don't have to count on getting things dirt cheap. That still does happen because of how much I buy, but it only accounts for a small % of my profit. I think most people who do the garage sales count on cheap prices more than they do a wealth of experience or knowledge, but that's not really a bad thing because it leans anyone can do it.
So your saying that anybody can do it and most of those that do, aren't too knowledgeable and basically rely on cheap prices and gut instincts more than anything else? I agree that there are many that think they can do it, don't know what they are doing and get lucky every now and then, but... I respectfully disagree that it can be done consistently without knowing what your looking at and what it's worth. Being knowledgeable in a multitude of areas makes a successful garage saler. Being an expert in only one field is a big disadvantage when it comes to garage sales. It limits your options drastically. Also, why should anyone resort to paying "a bit below market" when they can get it for a tiny fraction of the market price? Why should anyone resort to sitting at home in front of the computer looking for an item they can make 10-30% profit on when they can go out and find a wide variety of items to sell for 100-1000% or more mark up? Unless someone lives in an area where garage sales are few and far between then I see no sense in it. Necessity would be the only reason.

I respect what you do, please don't disrespect what we do by saying any idiot can do it, that's simply not true.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Ebay stats should be simular to the U.S. Economy (below). eBay's Business Model and Profits relies on Small Business People for their growth and profits. They may get rid of some riff-raff, but the small guy is here to stay.

Small businesses comprise what share of the U.S. economy?

Small businesses make up:
99.7 percent of U.S. employer firms,
64 percent of net new private-sector jobs,
49.2 percent of private-sector employment,
42.9 percent of private-sector payroll,
46 percent of private-sector output,
43 percent of high-tech employment,
98 percent of firms exporting goods, and
33 percent of exporting value.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, SUSB, CPS; International Trade Administration; Bureau of Labor Statistics, BED; Advocacy-funded research, Small Business GDP: Update 2002-2010

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So your saying that anybody can do it and most of those that do, aren't too knowledgeable and basically rely on cheap prices and gut instincts more than anything else? I agree that there are many that think they can do it, don't know what they are doing and get lucky every now and then, but... I respectfully disagree that it can be done consistently without knowing what your looking at and what it's worth. Being knowledgeable in a multitude of areas makes a successful garage saler. Being an expert in only one field is a big disadvantage when it comes to garage sales. It limits your options drastically. Also, why should anyone resort to paying "a bit below market" when they can get it for a tiny fraction of the market price? Why should anyone resort to sitting at home in front of the computer looking for an item they can make 10-30% profit on when they can go out and find a wide variety of items to sell for 100-1000% or more mark up? Unless someone lives in an area where garage sales are few and far between then I see no sense in it. Necessity would be the only reason.

I respect what you do, please don't disrespect what we do by saying any idiot can do it, that's simply not true.

Really not sure what you read because it certainly wasn't what I wrote. It seems you already had your answered formed and nothing really registered. I said I believe that most people who do the garage sale thing don't have a wealth of knowledge about many things and therefore rely on cheap prices to guarantee themselves a profit. How in the world that disrespects what you do I have no idea.

And about your question, I clearly said I get my share of deals that are much better percentages than 10% or 20%. I make a good part of my money from small % items, but I also do 100-300 listings a week. I can definitely make a pretty good case for not wanting to leave the computer.

Anyway, like I said I'm not sure why that entered your mind that way, and even if I called garage sale hunting down to the lowest... who cares! Heck I was called lazy in a post a few days ago, well at least it looked that way. ;) And I don't care. I am pretty good, at least now, at leaving my emotions out of this stuff in general because it costs me money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread