Is Ebay RIFing Sellers?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting back to RIFing, I think the guy is doing some subtle selling. I watched it all the way through, and he's pushing his Hustler University, and although he didn't give an address or price, he's a writer, and wants people to join him to make big bucks with his scheme that doesn't necessarily involve Amazon or Ebay. That's just my take. I think he is creating a supposed problem that only he is going to be able to fix.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The people who really know what they're doing don't have to count on getting a steal, they can pay a bit below market and still turn a profit. I think most people who do the garage sales count on cheap prices more than they do a wealth of experience or knowledge, but that's not really a bad thing because it leans anyone can do it.

Really not sure what you read because it certainly wasn't what I wrote. It seems you already had your answered formed and nothing really registered. I said I believe that most people who do the garage sale thing don't have a wealth of knowledge about many things and therefore rely on cheap prices to guarantee themselves a profit. How in the world that disrespects what you do I have no idea.

Basically what you said (the way I read it) is that most people who buy for resale at garage sales don't have a clue what they are doing, so they have to rely on cheap prices versus having any actual knowledge of the item/s they are buying to turn a profit. Unlike those people (you included yourself in this) who really know what they are doing, that can pay a little under market value and still turn a profit. It's sounds like you're putting those people (including yourself) on a pedestal and the rest of us at your feet. Basically what your saying is, what you do takes actual skill and knowledge and what we do is just dumb blind luck based on a cheap price. Give a monkey a $20 bill and watch him go to garage sales, anybody can do it, no experience necessary. It reeks of arrogance and egoism. If I am wrong I apologize but that's the way I read it.

As far as already having my answer formed, I don't know why you would say that. Not to mention saying that nothing registered with me. Nothing flew over my head, quite the contrary. It may have flew over most others on here, but not me. I understood completely what you wrote and it's underlying implications. All I am saying is...
Not everybody can do it, and those that do it successfully have to have knowledge in multiple areas of collecting or they will lose their ass, garage sales or not.

Now as far as the op's original intent of this thread. Don't pay attention to some idiot on Youtube. I've seen several of his videos in the past dealing with auctions, garage sales, etc. The guy is good at one thing, blowing hot air in front of a camera.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically what you said (the way I read it) is that most people who buy for resale at garage sales don't have a clue what they are doing, so they have to rely on cheap prices versus having any actual knowledge of the item/s they are buying to turn a profit. Unlike those people (you included yourself in this) who really know what they are doing, that can pay a little under market value and still turn a profit. It's sounds like you're putting those people (including yourself) on a pedestal and the rest of us at your feet. Basically what your saying is, what you do takes actual skill and knowledge and what we do is just dumb blind luck based on a cheap price. Give a monkey a $20 bill and watch him go to garage sales, anybody can do it, no experience necessary. It reeks of arrogance and egoism. If I am wrong I apologize but that's the way I read it.

As far as already having my answer formed, I don't know why you would say that. Not to mention saying that nothing registered with me. Nothing flew over my head, quite the contrary. It may have flew over most others on here, but not me. I understood completely what you wrote and it's underlying implications. All I am saying is...
Not everybody can do it, and those that do it successfully have to have knowledge in multiple areas of collecting or they will lose their ass, garage sales or not.

Now as far as the op's original intent of this thread. Don't pay attention to some idiot on Youtube. I've seen several of his videos in the past dealing with auctions, garage sales, etc. The guy is good at one thing, blowing hot air in front of a camera.

I don't believe I said most people at yard sales don't have a clue, so that would be putting words in my mouth I didn't say. I said that I think most rely on cheap prices, because most people who do it probably have a job and this is only a hobby... and they might not have the knowledge or experience. I didn't say all who buy, plus it's not like ebay where there is an endless supply of stuff, and easily found with a quick search. At a sale in person you're limited to what's there and either you know it or not. Also my opinion is just my opinion so it's ridiculous for you to argue I disrespected what you do, and I would not feel the same way know matter what you thought about what I do. And as for what I do, and who I bid against, it is quite a different thing than showing up to a sale and shopping for items with price tags on them. It's not any better or worse, just different. I've also spent over a decade doing this, and only this so I would hope I have a decent idea what's going on, but still to this day about once a week I'll get blown out on a bid by someone who probably knows a whole lot more than I do.

Anyway, this is really pointless. My post was not meant to offend anyone, and part of the reason I post on this forum being the Ebay buying black sheep is that I would also like to do this on some level, but from what I see pretty sure I couldn't.... unless I shopped for super deals as most others do regardless of how much they know.

....damn no time to proof read this... going detecting!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe I said most people at yard sales don't have a clue, so that would be putting words in my mouth I didn't say. I said that I think most rely on cheap prices, because most people who do it probably have a job and this is only a hobby... and they might not have the knowledge or experience. I didn't say all who buy, plus it's not like ebay where there is an endless supply of stuff, and easily found with a quick search. At a sale in person you're limited to what's there and either you know it or not. Also my opinion is just my opinion so it's ridiculous for you to argue I disrespected what you do, and I would not feel the same way know matter what you thought about what I do. And as for what I do, and who I bid against, it is quite a different thing than showing up to a sale and shopping for items with price tags on them. It's not any better or worse, just different. I've also spent over a decade doing this, and only this so I would hope I have a decent idea what's going on, but still to this day about once a week I'll get blown out on a bid by someone who probably knows a whole lot more than I do.

Anyway, this is really pointless. My post was not meant to offend anyone, and part of the reason I post on this forum being the Ebay buying black sheep is that I would also like to do this on some level, but from what I see pretty sure I couldn't.... unless I shopped for super deals as most others do regardless of how much they know.

....damn no time to proof read this... going detecting!
I apologize for misinterpreting your post. I've got a lot going on right now and I guess I read too much into something that wasn't there. Once again my apologies. Good luck detecting, hope you found a nice old colonial copper.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread