Is it hard to tell the difference between targets?

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've watched a youtube video where a bottle cap read 95, it seems to me like good targets start between 60-99; so it seems like the range is too narrow to tell the difference between targets.

On most machines I could easily tell the difference between a dime and a bottle cap; so is this the weakness of the Deus?

Is it primarily an iron infestation hunting machine?

I'm very very interesting in this machine because the videos I've seen have been impressive, but this is my only legit question.

Does anyone who own this own a CTX also? If so explain when you'd rather use which machine.

I don't really care about weight or comfort though, so that will not have a factor in my decision.

Thanks.

Last edited:

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to the Deus, but I get what you mean... There are things you can do to figure out if theyre caps or not, but from what people say, youll know by tone eventually. I still dont know the diff.... I took someone's advice and have two identical programs side by side. The second in 4 kHz. I'll drop it to that, if tid or tone goes lower, I dig. If it remains high, bottle cap....

I kept my Etrac and plan on using them in tandem. If I need to go deep, the option is still there. Parks and pasture...Etrac. When I get tired of carrying the etrac or when I encounter the iron patch, the 9" Deus will come out. It will be great for the woods too, nice and light, no wires to get tangled in. The freedom of hunting hard to reach places.

I'd like to hear some of the deus park advantages. There must be some by lowering frequency, and using the notch etc. :)

That's how I plan to use it.... Hence the 9" coil.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both..The ctx is much more reliable with vdi numbers on deep targets. ..And it sees through the iron well...The deus will not give a number on deep targets. ..and you have to lower the reactivity to go deep so that means you have to swing as slow...So to answer your question you can not go by any numbers its not reliable. ..Dont get me wrong the deus is a great detector. ..But by having both u dont leave much for the other guy!!!!! All my friends with the atpro can tell you.....lol..
George

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
If you ain't digging trash, you ain't digging cash. I used to pass over the 50's in 4 kHz even if they sounded good. One day I decided to dig them. That day turned up my first and second gold rings, both 14K. The larger one with the diamonds rang in as 50 on the dot, with the smaller at around 35 or so.

That's the day that I made up my mind. If it's a good tone and (especially) the X-Y trace shows me what I like to see, I'm digging it. I don't care what the numbers say at that point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread