• image-891352130.png
    image-891352130.png
    376.8 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 6

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver will come just hang in there I didn't think I would ever find my first silver but when your least expecting it WOW there it is finally hang in there :BangHead:

OP
OP
Millerthebugkiller

Millerthebugkiller

Sep 19, 2013
Southern IL perry co.
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2......upgraded to
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm up to 49 silver since sept but just seem to always pull up a 65 hell I got one in change the other day! Lol

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the '65 reproduce underground. like jackrabbits!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a huge mintage of 1965 quarters to replace the silver quarters that were disappearing from circulation.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not a coin guy by any means, I hunt some pretty extreme terrain for artifacts and relics. Once in a blue moon though I want to do a "casual" hunt and take my AT PRO to a nearby local park that I pull a fair amount of jewelry out of...

For some reason, It seems that one of every two or three targets is a 1975 Lincoln penny. I'm talking like the majority of my modern clad finds are these darn things.

I'd swear that someone stole brand new rolls of that year and just busted em open in that park to annoy me!

I actually prefer to find the pull tabs, no joke.

I know that may sound crazy, but I never find them when I do my primary hunting out rural. Makes me feel like I'm "paying my dues" haha.

I always leave all the little toys and the clad I find in a neat stack on a picnic table on the edge the playground that's enroute back to my truck... I figure some kid would enjoy it more I guess.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought it was just me! Lol! I guess we're in the "65 barrier" club! I can't count all the near misses on the silver threshold 1964, always a year shy! I believe we are all on to something, it's a conspiracy !
I do like finding quarters, better than pennies. Guess I will just have to try for the silver jewelry to compensate! Teases, that is a nice thing to do leaving some treasure for the kids!
HH to all and may we break this barrier before winter moves in! Good luck fellow TH'ers!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a special category for 1965 quarters and dimes in my collection. I want to see how many I get in one year.

OP
OP
Millerthebugkiller

Millerthebugkiller

Sep 19, 2013
Southern IL perry co.
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2......upgraded to
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a coin guy by any means, I hunt some pretty extreme terrain for artifacts and relics. Once in a blue moon though I want to do a "casual" hunt and take my AT PRO to a nearby local park that I pull a fair amount of jewelry out of... For some reason, It seems that one of every two or three targets is a 1975 Lincoln penny. I'm talking like the majority of my modern clad finds are these darn things. I'd swear that someone stole brand new rolls of that year and just busted em open in that park to annoy me! I actually prefer to find the pull tabs, no joke. I know that may sound crazy, but I never find them when I do my primary hunting out rural. Makes me feel like I'm "paying my dues" haha. I always leave all the little toys and the clad I find in a neat stack on a picnic table on the edge the playground that's enroute back to my truck... I figure some kid would enjoy it more I guess.

That's awesome idea! I leave it if it's a newer toy....very ice of you!

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL consider yourself LUCKY I detected over 3 years and not close to 49 silvers Lucky you..:) congrats

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mintage figures for the '65 quarter exceeded the previous year by over 1 billion and 1 million. no doubt the mint knew people would hoard all silver coins when silver production ceased so they upped mintage to prevent a shortage of circulating coinage

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed that there seems to be an idea that when we find a 65 quarter that we've just missed finding silver by some number of months ,
this is really just an illusion - since the 65's are circulating in massive hoards in our pocket change daily , we have missed finding a silver quarter
by closer to 45 - 50 years !

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have noticed that there seems to be an idea that when we find a 65 quarter that we've just missed finding silver by some number of months ,
this is really just an illusion - since the 65's are circulating in massive hoards in our pocket change daily , we have missed finding a silver quarter
by closer to 45 - 50 years !

Even though what you say is true, It's nice to think you are getting close and dream of silver.

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II & Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a lot of them all the time... more than 66' to 69' quarters.. I think to myself "so close" every time... :-)

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mintage figures for the '65 quarter exceeded the previous year by over 1 billion and 1 million. no doubt the mint knew people would hoard all silver coins when silver production ceased so they upped mintage to prevent a shortage of circulating coinage

This logic is so obvious that I'm ashamed I never realized that.

Great info, it all makes sense now!

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
I feel the same way but keep the 1965 ones because they are worth $1 minimum according to cointrackers.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel the same way but keep the 1965 ones because they are worth $1 minimum according to cointrackers.

That is really strange. 1966 quarters are worth 25 cents and there was a billion less of them made. I wonder if that's a misprint on cointrackers? Anyone have any info on this? No one in their right mind would give you a dollar for a dug 65 quarter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread