is it possible....you decide (pic hvy)

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Here is a ring I found last weekend at my wifes' old family place. By old family place, I mean great grandparents back to 1860's. They all are long lived. Her Grannie Long was born in 1895 and lived to the ripe old age of 103.

This is what it looked like when pulled out from under 8" of dirt.
DSC01030.jpg

I was trying to clean this with silver polish at a suggestion from Ray in Ca. It didn't do a thing. I will give him much credit for suggesting that there was nothing lost by trying to clean this mess. I thought I could discern the slightest look of some kind of color with a jewelers' magnifying glass. So I got out the heavy equipment. (dremel tool and associated equipment my DIL had)

DSC01046.jpg

WTH? I kept at it, looked like something was indeed transpiring...

DSC01049.jpg

The more work, the better it was looking...by this time I am shaking my head...

DSC01052.jpg

I wrapped the outside with tape so I could hold it and work the inside...

DSC01054.jpg

leaned up against a block of jewelers rouge...

Still polishing...

DSC01056.jpg

work in progress...

DSC01058.jpg

My lovely wifes' new occupation as a hand model. Ring is on index finger.

DSC01059.jpg

Next thing is trip to jewelers' for verification. No markings of any kind on ring. This would be a first for me. (If it is AU) I thought it rang up as silver on the SE, but may have confused it with another object I dug that day.
Thanks for bearing with me, but I am pumped.

BW

Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dank said:
would gold tarnish like that? i only found 3 pieces of gold (last week) and all of them were shiney and just dirty when removed from the ground, but then again, all my gold pieces were recently droped (assuming so caz they were all under 2.5 inches).
maby brass?

I've never seen gold come out of the ground looking like that ??? Sorry as not to hurt your feelings or anything but gold always keeps it's lust no matter how long in the ground ::)

Lazy J

Greenie
Oct 2, 2009
Washington the state
Detector(s) used
Whites V3
Great find and provinance. In days gone by it was common for wedding bands to be gold plated brass. Our forefathers worked very hard for less money than us. I have found a number of them until an old timer told me what they were. Now I treasure them for what they are. I love the story part of history. HH!

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Jason in TN said:
10K gold will turn i think it is gold let us know. Have had some gold at the beach turn out tarnished like that.

Jason

I hope it is 10k. Nice find!

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! I cant believe you got it that clean! thats incredible!! CONRGATS! :hello2:

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the patina it had and the appearance as it was in the cleaning process I would say it is yellow brass rather than gold but either way it is true treasure and a stellar find :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Looks like brass. Polished brass that is. You could do the same thing with pretty much anything you dig made of brass.

sorry, have to agree

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
Looks like brass. Polished brass that is. You could do the same thing with pretty much anything you dig made of brass.

sorry, have to agree

Yes, I am sorry also, but have to agree, it is probably brass, a friend of mine calls a ring like this Rose Gold, but what ever it is, it is a keep sake from your wife's family. Just think you are holding part of your wife's family history. That is the important thing to remember. Years ago, I detected my Great,Great, Grandfathers farm and I too found a ring, it was brass, but I didn't care, I was holding part of my family history.

Fantastic find, Congratulations!

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

I have too agree ;D brass will tarnish and when cleaned can look like gold but cool story and find and great pictures :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread