Is it really that complicated ??????

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
This morning I am at the beach strolling along at a nice slow pace, enjoying the sun and checking out the scenery, when I notice an older gentleman with a nice Whites PI unit. He is jumping all over the pace and waving his coil about 6-8" in the air. This I don't mind at all because he'll probably leave everything in the ground for me. What really got me was when he got a signal, he would take his scoop dig a hole and retrieve his target and then walk away leaving an unfilled hole in the ground. I was VERY polite and approached him to let him know that it was proper etiquette to fill your holes and he replied "Don't worry - the next tide will get it" ARE YOU KIDDING ME ???? A couple of times he obviously didn't like his target and dropped it right back in the sand !!!! Come on !!!! There are all kinds of people out there jogging and stuff that don't need to fall in your holes ..... and if you dig it you own it !!! throw it away in a barrel when leaving the beach if you don't want it, don't just drop it in the sand !!!! Your actions while detecting will often determine how other people enjoying the hobby will be perceived in the future. Play by the rules or don't play at all!!!!:BangHead:

Upvote 0

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best story on this subject I ever read was years ago in Eastern and Western Treasures Magazine...Someone was following another guy around and old park in New York and was filling in the holes and picking up the trash the other guy was leaving behind. Then the other guy gets a signal and digs and digs and looks all around very frustrated. Then he gets up and leaves another messy hole behind with what looked like a 5 dollar gold coin stuck to the back of his shovel, so he followed the other guy around until it fell off and it was indeed a gold $5 piece. He said he picked it up and kept it for the "services rendered" having to clean up after him.

I found a big hole in a park in Yuma once, with dirt scattered all about. I ran my MXT over the dirt and got a good signal. There in the discarded dirt was a beautiful Mercury dime! :hello2:

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have actually seen a couple of people with a detector in one hand and a full-sized shovel in the other, both in a public park! :dontknow:

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have actually seen a couple of people with a detector in one hand and a full-sized shovel in the other, both in a public park! :dontknow:

Just a few weeks ago I saw three people md'ng together in one of the oldest parks in my town. One had the metal detector, one had a full size shovel and the third seemed to just be watching. Needless to say, they were making a mess of the place!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread