Is it worth crushing all quartz found in a rich gold district?

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a hint of the gold fever and thought I'd give a quick hunt a try. I probably should have studied up a lot more before beginning this, but as I do ... im into it and don't know what I'm doing lol

I made my way around Waverley, Nova Scotia (a known gold town around here -70,000oz pulled out of the area over the years) for a hunt for gold bearing quartz.

I found a few large stones and a few smaller ones I believe may have gold / silver inside of them and trace amounts on. (Small round flakes found on surface / jammed in surface cracks)

A few quartz stones are light and a few are much heavier than I would have expected.

Wondering if its worth exploring into the stones or if the gold would be on the exterior of the rocks only if it were to have existed. Should I gather the soils from the areas I found the stones instead of smacking the rock with a mallet until it pops?

Anyone want to post the typical link for newbies on how to begin processing samples for viability?

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Area where quartz spills over bedrock. (looks like it was blasted off to make access road, found smooth small bore hole in fragment where explosives were lowered) Really soft clay like marterial with debris mixed inside. Was recently raining. Has since become crusty again. Mineral rich quartz at bottom right.
View attachment 1493494

Sounds like you have it all figured out and have a source for mineral rich material. Good luck to you on that aspect.
Some interesting quartz you have there....and interesting spillage/seepage...Looks like you don't have to go far to get it either, maybe nearly in your back yard.

I think your trolling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have it all figured out and have a source for mineral rich material. Good luck to you on that aspect.
Some interesting quartz you have there....and interesting spillage/seepage...Looks like you don't have to go far to get it either, maybe nearly in your back yard.

I think your trolling.

Trolling from urban dictionary:
Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.

That does not seem to be the case on my end.

I would very quickly refer to this forum and the kindness of those who reply. You (this community) are my sole source of obtaining info in real time or running dialog.

And while not my house, this is my land yes. Having curiosity about geology and history of ones property and community is far from an offence or breach of conduct I'd hope

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Looks like you will have the time to sample now. May not hurt to sample crush some of the clay as well.

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
Looks like you will have the time to sample now. May not hurt to sample crush some of the clay as well.

Yea, now I have centralized my efforts i plan to sample out what I have before "digging deeper" ... was thinking of collecting some of the clay as well ... found a nice chunk of brittle coral which adds to my puzzle. I see referance to a 2nd lake level on the oldest maps I can find which I imagine refers to hundreds of thousands of years ago . It's scenic (me and wife into photography) so im torn to rip it all up for treasure hunting.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trolling from urban dictionary:
Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.

That does not seem to be the case on my end.

I would very quickly refer to this forum and the kindness of those who reply. You (this community) are my sole source of obtaining info in real time or running dialog.

And while not my house, this is my land yes. Having curiosity about geology and history of ones property and community is far from an offence or breach of conduct I'd hope

Definitely was not calling you a prick.

For example you posted up a picture of this "interesting sample"

rock.jpg

What do you find interesting (from a prospecting aspect) in this photo?
Is it the lichen covered rock or the green spray paint looking stuff?
Help us understand.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see moss and lichen. Other people see clay that should be crushed up and panned.
Clipboard01.jpg
Oh well - I'm probably the one that is confused.
Carry on - and good luck to you in finding all the gold that you seek.

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely was not calling you a prick.

For example you posted up a picture of this "interesting sample"

View attachment 1493529

What do you find interesting (from a prospecting aspect) in this photo?
Is it the lichen covered rock or the green spray paint looking stuff?
Help us understand.

What my eyes are seeing is a bleeding of color between the stone and thank you for identifying lichen. ... I thought the green lichen may be the same clay like substance leeching from the ground as it appears in white in previous post... it having the bluish / greenish tint made me think what was "bleeding on the stone" may be effecting this material as well.

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see moss and lichen. Other people see clay that should be crushed up and panned.
View attachment 1493539
Oh well - I'm probably the one that is confused.
Carry on - and good luck to you in finding all the gold that you seek.

I do not see much value in crushing the materials inside the white clay like material (lichen) as the fragments are fairly small, cleaning them perhaps. I would agree the inferance of this not being viable source material ... simply an interesting sign of the immediate environment.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might help you if you had some examples of what you should be looking for.

Here is some nice copper ore for reference...
Copper.jpg

Then some gold ore (the stuff your after)..
gold lichen.jpg

;)

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might help you if you had some examples of what you should be looking for.

Here is some nice copper ore for reference...
View attachment 1493542

Then some gold ore (the stuff your after)..
View attachment 1493546

;)

Thank you. If I open a fresh cut and see this I'll have something to talk about for sure. Right now heavily oxidized on exteriors and no obvious hits on the few stones I did crack.

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just up on a plateau from the first bedrock shot was the location of a larger red quartz rock (20 lbs). Cleaned it up a bit ... there is heavily oxidized metal coming out of the center ... if you look at 8 o'clock away from center and zoom in you can see a flicker.

20170912_192826.jpg

Opinion?

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just up on a plateau from the first bedrock shot was the location of a larger red quartz rock. Cleaned it up a bit ... there is heavily oxidized metal coming out of the center ... if you look at 8 o'clock away from center and zoom in you can see a flicker.

View attachment 1493605
Opinion?
Crush and pan if you can. Then test the out come material.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imaudigger is messing with you, photos of plant organisms.
He is right, in, around and below these outcropping's sample the dirt and clay by panning
find colors, mark them in a grid to follow them to the gold deposit, if there is no free gold move on.
forget about all the rocks just sample and pan till you strike gold...
:occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, got the feeling I had irritated imaudigger. The old guys at the panning demonstration told me the local ore was richest inside the thin white quartz veins. But they crushed all the quartz and found value to doing so. Now that I have collected most of the loose stuff that interests me I am going to pan down the stream over the fall. The stream has shingled stones through it, so I plan to use a turkey baster to suck sediment up deep off the floor of the stream between the cracks. (As soon as I can justify the purchase of a gold detector that will happen for sweeping the landscape for nuggets)

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry man. No hard feelings OK?

I'm all good and still here lol, regardless of your sense of humor I still find value to your existance and opinions :p ... make me think or research, life isn't easy, I know this lol

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the same elevation as large red quartz stone on the left side of the bedrock is this location:
20170904_185045.jpg
The middle one with the thin white quartz vein is anchored in ... I removed the 2 on either side for sampling / crushing. The hope is that this is the "intrusion point" for a future dig. Have to explore center stone further to know for sure.

I am unsure of terminology but this is the obvious base foundation of the larger quartz outcrop above. Must be 70 feet in elevation from this point to the top of the outcrop

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions