Is it worth it?

Bowen89

Apr 3, 2012
South Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy crh as much as the next but im starting to wonder after gas and time and lugging these boxes... does it honestly pay off. Ive done 8 boxes with nothing. Now i do hit the bank on the way to work but spending 5 hours a week looking through coins and finding nothing just makes you think. Ive started pennies just so when i find a wheatie i feel great haha

Upvote 0

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
Yes in my opinion it is worth it, you have to be persistent though. Don't worry about the collars, we all wear them from time to time. In due time the Silver will flow. Good Luck. Dennis.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bowen89 said:
I enjoy crh as much as the next but im starting to wonder after gas and time and lugging these boxes... does it honestly pay off. Ive done 8 boxes with nothing. Now i do hit the bank on the way to work but spending 5 hours a week looking through coins and finding nothing just makes you think. Ive started pennies just so when i find a wheatie i feel great haha

I think for the most part it's only worth it as an enjoyable hobby. You gain a pile of silver and old coins, but when you figure in gas and time it's probably more cost effective to buy junk silver at LCS. Still I get a thrill when I find something and the potential is always there for a big score. HH

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people PAY money to enjoy a hobby. With a little luck, persistence, and business sense, we can enjoy a fun hobby and actually MAKE a little money at it. If it gets to the point where you aren't having fun or making any $, maybe it's time to move on. I am fortunate enough to live in a pretty good area to hunt. I have searched over 400 boxes of halves and average 2.4 silvers/box. I don't do it to get rich - I make $1/minute at my day job - if it was all about the money, I'd work more overtime. But I love the thrill of the hunt, the challenge of foiling tellers, and the satisfaction of plucking a silver coin from circulation for face value! Plus, I found a way to do something I get a kick out of & get a lil extra $ to put toward a vacay and trade up some silver for some coins for my collection without dipping into my paycheck.

HH all, and may the odds of finding a dream box be always in your favor!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Been doing this steadily for five years, making $ has never been a concern, and that's a good thing!

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
baddbluff said:
Most people PAY money to enjoy a hobby. With a little luck, persistence, and business sense, we can enjoy a fun hobby and actually MAKE a little money at it. If it gets to the point where you aren't having fun or making any $, maybe it's time to move on. I am fortunate enough to live in a pretty good area to hunt. I have searched over 400 boxes of halves and average 2.4 silvers/box. I don't do it to get rich - I make $1/minute at my day job - if it was all about the money, I'd work more overtime. But I love the thrill of the hunt, the challenge of foiling tellers, and the satisfaction of plucking a silver coin from circulation for face value! Plus, I found a way to do something I get a kick out of & get a lil extra $ to put toward a vacay and trade up some silver for some coins for my collection without dipping into my paycheck.

HH all, and may the odds of finding a dream box be always in your favor!

A buck a minute is good money! What are you a pharmacist or something awesome like that??

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buck a minute is good money! What are you a pharmacist or something awesome like that??

Most retail pharmacists hate their jobs. Just FYI. :)

If you're already whining after 8 boxes, please just quit.

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
bigscores said:
Most retail pharmacists hate their jobs. Just FYI. :)

Only when they work at a high-volume store and can't troll TreasureNet on their iPads!

Mr E SECRET

Aug 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobbies cost you money, this one puts thousands in your pocket a year. One car repair from all the starting and traveling will of course eat that away, but that's why I drive a Boss 302. Anyways, if you are looking to make money...get a job. If you are a student still under mom and dad's tit, retired, or just a bored family man...then this is the hobby for you.

If you are skunked on 8 boxes of halves, that same investment could get you 16 boxes of dimes. At an average of 1.18 dimes per box, that's 18-20 dimes per week, 80-90 month. At $2.25 per dime, that's $180-$200/month. $2000-$2400 per year in silver, and only rising.

Last edited:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last month I went through 43 skunk boxes. The ones that were not skunks put out about 16 OZT of silver. I spent about 20 hours and 10 gallons of gas on it. So, about $23/hour, which is a little less than 1 OZT/hour I average. I make about 3x better money at my regular job (which I love) but I find CRHing relaxing and a good family activity.

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
It's all about the thrill of the hunt for me... Having full tubes of silver is just a perk.

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
namster said:
Last month I went through 43 skunk boxes. The ones that were not skunks put out about 16 OZT of silver. I spent about 20 hours and 10 gallons of gas on it. So, about $23/hour, which is a little less than 1 OZT/hour I average. I make about 3x better money at my regular job (which I love) but I find CRHing relaxing and a good family activity.

I'm vamping up my volume and now have about 4k in halves to dump. What is the most a high volume guy like yourself will dump at a time?

OP
OP
B

Bowen89

Apr 3, 2012
South Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscores said:

Just asking opinions. No need to be a dick.

Moving on. You guys make good points that i didnt consider it the way you do... and when you look at it... if you dont find anything you really didnt lose anything in the long run. Thanks guys!

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm vamping up my volume and now have about 4k in halves to dump. What is the most a high volume guy like yourself will dump at a time?

Unless you really know the tellers, I would say 1K or so. I have one bank that I will occasionally dump 3K at, most of the time I do 1K-2K on a dump.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt for the long term, so in the end ( 20+ yrs from now) the invested time effort and gas money spent will pay off. We are all hoping for that magic number of 100 an once ( or close to it in the future) so that is why we stack now. HH, Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
So what you're saying is that you are always broke...I hear ya brutha, I drive a ford myself.

Ford ='s fix or repair daily, lol. Jk, look at the "Explain your Avatar and username thread and you'll see I'm a Ford man too. HH, Maverick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread