Is it worth it?

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone!
I own a Fisher F2 and have a couple years worth of experience with land/dry sand hunting. Now I'm starting to think about the benefits of getting a saltwater machine (Tesoro Sand Shark) that I could use on the beaches this summer. However, to keep myself from shelling out $575 on a piece of wall art, I have a couple questions.

1. If I can go to the beach 1-2 times per week for ~6 hours a time during the summer months (8 weeks), is it worth investing in a dedicated saltwater detector?

2. I'm aware that the Sand Shark (and other pi's) cannot discriminate. Will I drive myself insane with digging junk and save up for an Excalibur? Is it really worth more than 2x the $$$?

Thanks,
Crazy4coins

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If time is limited you would be better of with a MD that can null out on the unwanted targets, otherwise you will be spending valuable time digging junk.
Good Luck SS

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some swear by their PI machines as fervently as I swear by my Excal, so it depends on who you ask. Those opinions are theirs alone. The choice however is yours alone. What do you envision yourself doing with that piece of equipment? Detectors are tools....take time and choose the right tool for the job you want it to perform.

Since 99.9% of my hunting is on the beach and shallow water, I like the discriminating capability of the Excal and by hunting in Pinpoint mode, I get similar characteristics of a PI but can easily switch to Disc to check for iron. As for depth, I can go pretty darn deep in PP with a 12x15 SEF coil on that Excal...and quite frankly, being 67 years of age, it goes as deep as I want to dig in the Florida sun anyway!

Just the view from my personal foxhole....

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this was one of my better years

2-3 times a week - 3-4 hrs an outing
can it be worth it? - yes ...yes it can
Ive heard of 3 rings this year being found in the water at over $10,000 a piece
you can pay for a machine with one find or with a small handful of finds
60.gif

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
I started with a Sand Shark(new) and now own an Excal 1000(pre-owned) also. The SS tracks very deep and is great if your beaches are relatively clean of junk targets. It's also very light weight, easy to set up/use, is built like a tank and includes the Lifetime warranty. The Excal tracks very deep as well in Pinpoint Mode and the Null feature in the Disc Mode eliminates digging trash. The Shaft Balancer's I manufacture and sell also make the Excal with the "S" shafts a breeze to swing for hours. Each has it's own advantages/disadvantages, however, I love both machines and would never give them up. If your beaches are relatively clean of trash, I would start with a SS. Try it out and see if it fits your needs/style. You can always sell it as they hold their value if taken care of. Keep an eye out on the forums/websites as you can always find deals on pre-owned Sharks and Excals also. GL and HH

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
1. Yes

2. Yes, but possibly No.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beaches I hunt have way too many iron targets for me to use a PI...you can get a good used CZ 21 or Excal for $800 or less...the machine will pay for itself if you water hunt at the beach...water is where the gold is.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like you said, penzfan, I was going to start out with the SS, but I have absolutely NO IDEA how trashy the beaches I would hunt are. I wish I could try one out for a day.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking about getting a used cz-20. It seems like a good unit with disc capabilities. How does it perform on smaller gold (ie. Chains)? Should I be concerned about the leaking issue?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The life time gauarantee for the Sand Shark manufactured by Tesoro is a two edged sword.
Great, when you buy the SS new, and keep.
not so great if you buy the SS used or want to sell
a SS you own as the warantee cannot be transferred.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
some swear by theirs---while--- others swear at them...

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely, the amount of grey matter retrieved would pay for your detectors, even if you
never found any jewlery.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Only being able to speak on behalf of my excalibur, I couldn't imagine having a PI at any of MY local beaches. It's hard enough flipping back and forth from PP to Discrim and I have a Remote toggle. Beaches here are littered heavily. That's how you know there's potential. Stupid people drop trash, stupid people lose things. With a PI I'd be digging EVERY tab, piece of foil wrapper..etc... I can't comprehend that. My arm kills enough as it is.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
I'm thinking about getting a used cz-20. It seems like a good unit with disc capabilities. How does it perform on smaller gold (ie. Chains)? Should I be concerned about the leaking issue?
Speaking for myself, you wouldn't go wrong with the CZ20 as long as you get it for a good price and in great working condition. I've never had any problem with leakage and small gold has never been a problem (at least that I am aware of!) I hunt in auto tune and switch over to 0 to hear the audio tone. Low tone is ALWAYS iron.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only being able to speak on behalf of my excalibur, I couldn't imagine having a PI at any of MY local beaches. It's hard enough flipping back and forth from PP to Discrim and I have a Remote toggle. Beaches here are littered heavily. That's how you know there's potential. Stupid people drop trash, stupid people lose things. With a PI I'd be digging EVERY tab, piece of foil wrapper..etc... I can't comprehend that. My arm kills enough as it is.
Which tabs are you able to leave and know they aren't gold?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I been using a CZ20 or CZ21s since 2006 - before that PI Pro whites
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-1/
done pretty good with both - I
but many others can show similar with their brands too
started out in 1975 with an all metal machine - so not afraid to dig the trash / used to digging it all (or almost all)
you try to take everything out - and hopefully you'll take everything out - have gotten many goodies over the yrs under or with trash in many spots hammered by others that passed it by

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I been using a CZ20 or CZ21s since 2006 - before that PI Pro whites
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-1/
done pretty good with both - I
but many others can show similar with their brands too
started out in 1975 with an all metal machine - so not afraid to dig the trash / used to digging it all (or almost all)
you try to take everything out - and hopefully you'll take everything out - have gotten many goodies over the yrs under or with trash in many spots hammered by others that passed it by

It's nice to hear from someone with you're level of experience (true with many others here on Tnet). I think I'll keep my eyes open for a used cz-21. Looks like it will fit my needs as a saltwater detector and just fine in the freshwater ponds as well.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
A lot has to do with the beaches and water (salt or fresh) you are going to detect.
At heavy mineralized BLACK sand beached, not many in the southern states, I go with a PI detector.
PI, VLF, different manufacturer's machines are more suited for one type of beach over another. That is why I have 11 detectors.
In the south I use my Excal, in the north an ATX or Infinium in in salt water and in fresh water I use an ATPro. The Infinium and ATPro offer the advantage of changing coils. In the summer I use the biggest coil I have for fresh drops and in the winter, the smallest coil for "seeing" around rocks.
Both the ATX and Infinium have, sort of, a discrimination of high-low and low-high tones - based on the targets conductivity.
I have no experience with a Sand Shark, sorry.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Do you want craftsmen or snap on? Most jobs can be done with either.
I would go INSANE with a PI here in San Diego. Yesterday I was flip flopping between PP and discrim with my toggle that my thumb started hurting. No joke.. lots of aluminum and iron and general trash here. People are pigs.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread