Is my 11" DD coil Bad? AGAIN!!!! - Final Update

Bigggrick

Feb 26, 2011
Is my 11" DD coil Bad? AGAIN!!!! - Final Update

See the update at the bottom of this post.

I am new to Metal detecting. Bought a new Gold Bug Pro in April 2011, got it with both the 5" and 11 " coils. I have been using only the 5" for nugget Hunting in the desert until this week. I am at the beach for a week. Using the 11" coil for about 5 hours in the dry sand all worked fine. Put it into the surf at about 6" depth and within 5 minutes the battery showed no bars and the "overload" was Flashing on the display. With the coil disconnected all looks good on the display. Dried the coil in the sun for a few hours and it was working again. This morning, alittle damp out and it is back in overload. The coil has little time on it , not even a scratch, no visable cracks anywhere. The wire going into the coil looks in good condition.

I do not have my small coil with me on vacation so I am stuck, at the beach without a working detector!!!!

Any Ideas?

Update: Back from vacation and have contacted Fisher. They admitted to having similar problems with the coil. They must have had a bunch that had bad sonic welds that let the saltwater get into the connection area, killing the coil. After 5 days the coil is still dead. Fisher said that I need to send it in and they will replace it. However, vacation is over and that beach wil need to wait until next year.

Thanks for your input.

Next UPdate : Sept 10 th Back at the beach for 12 days. After 6 hours of hunting in the dry sand I decided to that the replacement coil and try it in the water. Bad idea, failed just like the original = overload!!!! Being it is Saturday I will need to wait till Monday, and then see if they will send a replacement before they get the bad one back. On vacation camping, need to find a place to ship from and ship to so I can save a few days at the beach hunting. I am very disapoointed in what i was told was a great company for this type of equipment.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Re: Is my 11" DD coil Bad?

Find a local shop and see if they can check it out with both the 10" and 11" coils. Man that would drive me crazy.

OP
OP
B

Bigggrick

Feb 26, 2011
Re: Is my 11" DD coil Bad? AGAIN!!!!

So the final update I hope, is this. I contacted Fisher on Monday (did not have the use of the unit over the weekend) and had a discussion with their customer service department (Felix). Felix could not have been more helpful and understanding. The result was that Fisher sent me a replacement coil Fedex overnight at their expense. Because of my remote location Fedex took a day and a half to get it to me, but Fisher did everything right. I ran the new coil for the rest of my vacation in the dry areas just incase they had not fixed the issue. The last day I was at the beach I did test the coil in the salt water for about 15 minutes with no issues. The previous failures happened with in the first few minutes, so I am confident they have fixed the issue.

Once again I can not say enough good things about their customer service, truly it adds to the value of their products.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Is my 11" DD coil Bad? AGAIN!!!!

Bigggrick said:
So the final update I hope, is this. I contacted Fisher on Monday (did not have the use of the unit over the weekend) and had a discussion with their customer service department (Felix). Felix could not have been more helpful and understanding. The result was that Fisher sent me a replacement coil Fedex overnight at their expense. Because of my remote location Fedex took a day and a half to get it to me, but Fisher did everything right. I ran the new coil for the rest of my vacation in the dry areas just incase they had not fixed the issue. The last day I was at the beach I did test the coil in the salt water for about 15 minutes with no issues. The previous failures happened with in the first few minutes, so I am confident they have fixed the issue.

Once again I can not say enough good things about their customer service, truly it adds to the value of their products.
Good to hear that Fisher is on the ball......... Thats what we want for our detecors good and fast service.....................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread