39.1 KB · Views: 233
  • P1000578.JPG
    P1000578.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 209

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I cannot see from your photo's any pyrite (cubic yellow crystals).
Are they micro-sized ?
It would be extremly rare as the oxidization of iron would render the pyrite to sulpher dioxide gas.

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

Coprolites are fossilized feces, or animal dung. They form an important class of objects studied in the field of paleontology.

The name is derived from the Greek words kopros meaning "dung" and lithos meaning "stone".

Coprolites are also trace fossils and vary in size from the small fecal pellets of a sea-snail to the large droppings of crocodiles, dinosaurs, or mammals. Typical sizes vary from less than 5 mm (0.2") to 5 cm (2"), although they may exceed 30 cm (12") in length. There is a large variety of shapes: cigar-shaped, lens-shaped, kidney-shaped, cone-shaped, round, oval, cylindrical, or spiral-shaped, depending upon the type of animal which produced them, although as with other trace fossils, the specific animal is usually not known.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
I know the cube is hard to see. You can see the square folds pushed upwards at the top of cube at southern end of piece. Ive seen this type of rock before in a book but without something pertruding out. Dont believe its dung. Im still looking for my first dung piece. Is dung a common find for texas?

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

irbaddadjoe said:
I know the cube is hard to see. You can see the square folds pushed upwards at the top of cube at southern end of piece. Ive seen this type of rock before in a book but without something pertruding out. Dont believe its dung. Im still looking for my first dung piece. Is dung a common find for texas?

Is dung a common find for texas?

Does the phrase cattle drive or ex-president's legacy ring a bell???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
BillyBudd007 said:
irbaddadjoe said:

I guess you could say I stepped into that one!! :tongue3:

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

irbaddadjoe said:
BillyBudd007 said:
irbaddadjoe said:

I guess you could say I stepped into that one!! :tongue3:

I couldn't help myself..but I enjoy getting ribbed etc as much as I give it.
I hope you find some good stuff whatever it might be.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread