badchihuahua

Greenie
Nov 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TexasRelics.jpg I am thinking of purchasing this Civil War Texas buckle for my husband. Can anyone tell me if it looks to be real. Also, how much would something like this be worth?

Thank you!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know but some one on here does, but they may have to see the back of it too.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Great Piece...I would def wait to hear from someone on here thou...Seems to be popular on the Repros!..ive seen Repros for 30 bucks or so

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look good to me, but we need to see the back. The star seems to have more relief than the originals and it looks too small. An original is worth in the several thousands of dollars range or more so if it is offered for less than a grand watch out!!

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Everything mentioned above is great advice!

With Texas Civil War Plates, Buttons, and Hat Pins, it is much safer to assume EVERYTHING is fake.

For example, If you saw how many dealers/shops/online stores have an "authentic" Texas belt plate listed as being "from a soldier in Hood's Brigade"... You'd quickly realize that Hood must have commanded 500,000 soldiers, each one wearing 6 belts! Haha!!

And if it's a reproduction, don't pay more than a $20 bill!

The 1850 pattern (such as this one) is the most widely reproduced of the TX plates. I'm guessing it's because when people want a CW belt plate they think of an oval buckle marked with either a "US" or "CS"... This plate bearing the closest similarity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

badchihuahua

Greenie
Nov 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so much for your help. I asked the dealer for a picture of the back and he never got back to me. Also, it is only $300, so I guess that answers my question! I am assuming it is fake and I won't be wasting my money.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stay Away !!!! Dont touch it !

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Becareful. Last weekend I met a guy metal detecting that wanted to show me and my friend his shop. He had CSA repro's he was making out of sterling silver and selling them. I warned of the dangers of ebay on my friend who spent 25 bucks on civil war bullets from Gettysburg that are fake and newly made. The guy making repro buckles and selling them really irritated me because people will spend the money on a fake. Try to get more information on it if you can. Either way I am sure he will love it! Nice badchihuahua :) Welcome to Tnet!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You can email--- [email protected]. He runs Fort Tumbleweed out of Liberty Hill near Austin. He should be able to help you. He has a website too and sells authentic old west/civil war/historical everything. His place is amazing...

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Do you happen to know offhand, what his website is called?
Thanks...
Baggins

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you happen to know offhand, what his website is called? Thanks... Baggins

I'm familiar with this site/dealer:

http://www.forttumbleweed.com

Figured I'd post the link since I was already here reading the thread.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and you'll see his sale listings by theme.

I have a house a few minutes north of Liberty Hill.
I've never done any business with them, but I have heard his name mentioned in the Texana artifact/relic community a time or two.

Last edited:

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This post has taken an interesting turn. The person you guys are talking about, Len Kubiak, is the one trying to sell this buckle to me. He will not send me a picture of the back. Is it even possible to buy a buckle like this for $300.00? I asked him if it was guaranteed authentic, but he just told me I could return it if I didn't like it. Thanks again for your help!

Private Message sent.

No ma'am, an AUTHENTIC Texas belt plate would start at drastically more!!!

You could get an authentic federal belt plate for $300... But something tells me If you were wanting a Tx one, your probably NOT wanting a Yankee plate haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread