Is that a....no way........is it? $@%# it is a coin purse!

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Greetings all,
I happen to come across this today while at work of all places. Part of my job is checking vacant units during the winter to make sure the heat is on, no broken pipes, etc. Well, since I'm there and nothing else really going on I decided I better start searching these units as well. Never would I have thought to stumble upon a coin purse just sitting on an empy closet shelf, but just goes to show treasure really is everywhere! As I reached for it and picked it up, my heart was racing hoping for old silver or gold coins of course. As I picked it up, it was heavy, too heavy for a small coin purse as you will see in the pics. I slowly opened it up, and seen what seemed like a silver glow shining outward, but then noticed the sun was shining through the window. I was thinking no F'n way this is real! Sure enough, it was stocked full of coins......but none of them which I recognized as they were all foreign coins......damn! Figured it was too good to be true, but doing some basic research, it looks like one of the small ones is 80% silver which is a ten cent piece from Hong Kong dated 1891! Well hot damn, maybe I am onto something! A few of them look like silver, feel like silver, and even sound like silver, but something is holding me back to believe they are silver. I'll post a list followed by some pics, and if anyone out there knows about these coins please let me know....or add a good link where I could find out more about them. Tanks fer lookin'!

Republique Francaise (1/2 Franc) 1972, 1965, 1976
Republique Francaise (1 Franc) 1970
Polynesie Francaise (10 Franc) 1973, 1967
New Pence (50) 1969

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,850
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,795
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,757
Upvote 0
Cool you just never know what's going to be left in a house when people move out

Nice find. Hope they turn out to be silver for you.....Matt

Oops, accidently hit the 'post' button.....here's the rest!!

Polynesie Francaise (20 Franc) 1970, 1969, 1970, 1970, 1970
Republique Francaise (5 Francs) 1978
Polynesie Francaise (50 Franc) 1975
Republique Francaise (5 Franc) 1952, 1965, 1965, 1965 ......These feel like plastic and are VERY light, but make a metallic sound
Gold and Silver, looks like a Euro. (10 Franc) 1989
Republique Francaise (10 Francs) 1984
Republique Francaise (20 Centimes) 1989, 1963
Republique Francaise (10 Centimes) 1968, 1987, 1974
Republica De Costa Rica (5 centimos) 1936
Hong Kong (10 cents) 1891

HH
DB

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 1,722
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,627
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,599
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,654
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,632
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,678
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,708
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,580
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,577
These are most likely somebody's small coin collection.

My sister is an elementary school teacher and several years ago she found
a bunch of 1980's European coins in a retired teacher's desk.

:)

nice job on finding all those foreign coins.. just goes to show treasure is where you find it..maybe next time it will be full of gold coins. thanks for sharing and hh

I moved into a new house, and was giving it the once-over, before I let my kids go. Looked above the bathroom cabinet......WOW!!! A big package. Brought the package down, and there was the largest hand gun I had ever seen.....and I was in the military and had shot and qualified with a few. I put it back, after making sure it wasn't loaded. Several days later
a man showed up at the door, i.d.ed himself as the former occupant, and told me he had left something behind. I asked him where, and he told me above the bathroom cabinet. I told him I had found it and had put it back. Went and got it for him, and never saw him, or the gun, again........ thankfully.
I am sure that whomever left it sometime after they left, thought of the coin purse, and rued that day.
Makes a nice starter coin collection for someone's young'uns. Good find. :thumbsup:

Hong Kong dime is .800 silver and worth a couple of bucks in fine. The rest is too new for my book but I would figure current exchange value.
It must have been a rush to find that purse! Maybe the next one will be gold and silver!
WTG.
Dave.

will you try and find the person that left that stuff behind?

During my renting days, I would do this when leaving/moving. I would always put a note with the treasure to indicate that it was a "Pay It Forward" tithe and figured it was good karma.

In answer to the question, you have already identified the only silver in the collection :icon_thumright:

Thanks for the comps guys. Nothing too much for monetary value, but still a treasure and a good find by my book. (I think any coin over 100 yrs old is a dandy!)

Kelly, I did go to the housing office to ask about the latest occupants. They said the unit has been vacant for almost a year, and they don't keep records past 4 months after the people process off the base.

Cookiemonster, thanks for the website!

HH
DB

discovery_bound said:
Thanks for the comps guys. Nothing too much for monetary value, but still a treasure and a good find by my book. (I think any coin over 100 yrs old is a dandy!)

Kelly, I did go to the housing office to ask about the latest occupants. They said the unit has been vacant for almost a year, and they don't keep records past 4 months after the people process off the base.

Cookiemonster, thanks for the website!

HH
DB

well its really nice of you to try and find them... thanks... i like that! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Cool finds. I welcome any foreign coins to add to my collection. Of course silver (or gold) would be better, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back