Is the Compadre good in highly mineralized ground?

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, gang. I have two heaping-full quart jars full of clad. I was thinking about getting a sniper coil for my M6, but I have been really chomping at the bit to try a Tesoro, and the Compadre is about the same cost. Problem is, I have super-mineralized soil where I live. Will the Compadre serve me well, or should I save for a different Tesoro machine with actual ground balance? I'd hate to spend a heap of money on a machine that I don't "click" with.

I've looked for threads regarding this matter, but they are all a bit inconclusive. Thanks for your opinions!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you'll find the Compadre will work great for you. especially with the 5.75" coil. :occasion14:

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll say this; I can use the Compadre in wet saltwater sand, without a problem.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That pretty much answers my question. Thanks, guys!

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im not sure if Tesoro will sell you a detector directly but it may be worth a try to give them a call and see if they will. If so, I bet you could send a soil sample and they would tune the Compadre to your soil for no extra cost. It might save you the trouble of having to send the machine in if your ground is to hot.

But if they can sell you one.. you will be warrantied for life and they will tune the machine at the cost of shipping it to them. For 160$ its hard to beat.

I have a modded Compadre I plan to try at the beach here in just a bit. If you have a little electronics skill you could adjust the detector yourself if you buy used (as in no warranty).. its not hard and dont let anyone tell you it super dangerous.. cause its not. I sometimes think Im watching a infomercial where the people drop stuff and pull off ridiculous blunders when I hear people rail against modding...

https://youtu.be/a1ZbwqXQZPo?t=19s

I dont know how to embed on this forum..

Im glad to hear the Compadre works in the wet sand! How much depth are you getting?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im not sure if Tesoro will sell you a detector directly but it may be worth a try to give them a call and see if they will. If so, I bet you could send a soil sample and they would tune the Compadre to your soil for no extra cost. It might save you the trouble of having to send the machine in if your ground is to hot.

But if they can sell you one.. you will be warrantied for life and they will tune the machine at the cost of shipping it to them. For 160$ its hard to beat.

I have a modded Compadre I plan to try at the beach here in just a bit. If you have a little electronics skill you could adjust the detector yourself if you buy used (as in no warranty).. its not hard and dont let anyone tell you it super dangerous.. cause its not. I sometimes think Im watching a infomercial where the people drop stuff and pull off ridiculous blunders when I hear people rail against modding...

https://youtu.be/a1ZbwqXQZPo?t=19s

I dont know how to embed on this forum..

Im glad to hear the Compadre works in the wet sand! How much depth are you getting?

I actually did a little research on the internal gb adjustment on your suggestion. I did turn up the internal threshold on my m6, and it doesn't seem like it would be much different. Nice to know that I have the option if it is necessary. I gather from the other responses that it should hopefully not be an issue. Thanks for the advice.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I didn't get much depth, but it could also be there just weren't really any targets. I pulled an earring back out at 2", about 1 foot out from where the water and sand meet. The beach I used it on was on the bay (no wave action to speak of), and isn't a heavily used beach, so that may have had something to do with the lack of targets. I did it as a just to see type of thing.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't get much depth, but it could also be there just weren't really any targets. I pulled an earring back out at 2", about 1 foot out from where the water and sand meet. The beach I used it on was on the bay (no wave action to speak of), and isn't a heavily used beach, so that may have had something to do with the lack of targets. I did it as a just to see type of thing.

Thanks for the info! I look forward to trying mine out. Gonna try a big coil and see how it handles the salt.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Here in Bama with some pretty mineralized red clay dirt even the black stuff can be pretty mineralized.
In the bad stuff my Compadre is very close to my Vaq in depth...even with a DD coil on the Vaq and that GB feature.
In much better dirt out west the Compadre got a little deeper, the Vaq got way deeper.

The new Mojave with the high low mineralization switch might make a difference here but I don't know anyone that has tried one in my specific kind of problem soil.
I just pull out the Compadre here from time to time and still seem to find some great things despite my challenges.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions