Is the cortes the one for me?

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I've been wanting a higher end machine that gives me a great idea of what is in the ground and how deep....I'm totally sold on the weight, and warranty on the Cortes but,
does it stack up against the other 'big dogs' like GTI 2500 or DFX?

Actually I should mention that I could not get the gti 2500 to be able to decide what the target was. I had this problem with the ace 250 also.

Here is some interesting reviews I found (not on the Tesoro site) http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/35-1-tesorocortes.html

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
I bought a cortez from Joe Snow (fellow tnetter) last year before Christmas. I have only used it a little as I am in Northern Indiana and the ground is just now starting to thaw. I love the light weight of the machine. With the standard coil, it is well balanced. The only issue that I had with it was that I wasnt having much luck with finding nickels. If you aint finding nickels and tabs you aint gonna find the gold. I finally called Tesoro yesterday and after some discussion and testing it was determined that the discrimination knob wasnt set properly and I was discriminating out nickels etc. With that small issue resolved I feel more secure for future hunts. The machine seems to be on target even with deep targets. I have had a few quarter signals turn out to be dimes and dimes were pennies but I think all TID detectors do that. Its easy to ground balance and pinpointing is easy either with the X pattern or using the all metal mode. It is NOT a motionless pinpoint like the ACE is but you can figure it out pretty easy. All in all I am glad I spent the money. I ended up buying a clean sweep coil (3X18) and you can cover ALOT of ground with that baby. Hope this helps. TMAN...

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
No ID machine is going to be perfect with ID. I had the DeLeon, which is the Cortes' little brother, and I really enjoyed it. I just never learned to trust the VID on any machine. The 99 reading is good, but with any VID machine, the deeper the target, the less reliable the ID is going to lock on. You will need to learn how to read the numbers on the deeper targets to learn what to watch for. My DeLeon found my US belt plate...that read 99 too :)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Thought I'd pass this along.This came from another web site but I trust the person who said it.

The Cortes is very easy to use. Set your disc just below nickel, and crank the sens all the way up. Good targets are strong and repeatable but there are some things that might help you.
Visual ID, in general, is non-reliable and by that I mean, when you get multiple targets under the coil, what you see on the screen will necessarily indicate whats in the ground. The Cortes is right on with depth and ID on clean, un-masked targets, but with multiple targets you have to be aware of what the machine is telling you. Try this test: tape a nickel and dime together and pass them under the coil with the nickel side up. See what the machine reads. Surprised? Now turn it over and face the dime towards the coil, and see what it reads. Interesting, huh? You need to realize the machine is looking at conductivity of targets so what you see on the screen can sometimes be totally different than whats in the ground.
But here is where your previous experience with the T and V will come in very handy: listen to your tagetst first, if they "sound" good, ie srong and repeatable, then glance at the coil to see whats its reading but dig the target based on the sound. If it sounds good, like you are used to on your T and V, dig it!
Gold rings can read up nearly anywhere but one tip that may help is, they area always strong and repeatable, the ID numbers and bar graph icons dont change much on each pass of the coil. Pull tabs and pop tops often jump around due to the odd shape of the targets and depending on how you coil is passing over them. Alter your stance as you sweep "pop top" range targets, sweep them from various angles and watch the ID numbers. If they dont jump around a lot, it could be a ring.
One other thing the Cortes is very good at and that is ID'ing iron. Large iron targets fool most machines, and so too with Cortes. They will sound and visually ID high like a coin. The ID numbers will be 95 and the coin icon will light, but there is one real significant thing that happens on large iron targets like this, and that is there will be a slight "sliver" on the iron bar graph. You have to remember to glance at that end of the screen because the coin bar graph is at the opposite end, but when you have a stong coin reading and see a sliver on the iron bar graph, its a chunk of iron. Dig enough of these to convince yourself and then you will be able to pass them by.
Once you master all that, there is another thing that I have seen occur on really deep targets, and this too is probably true of many machines. When you are scanning a target that is at the extreme limit of the machines capability, some times there is just not enough "oomph", not enough data for the machine to accurately read. On one pass you may see a breif "coin" signal but on the next it reads "iron". If you see that quick coin flash, stop and scrutinize this target. One thing you can do is to switch to the all metal mode. This will give you a tiny bit more depth, and maybe just enought to accurately get a reading on the target. The other thing you can do is to scrape about an inch of soil away (site permitting), which allows you to get the coil just a bit closer to the target. One of these things may allow the Cortes just enough signal strength to give you a better reading.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread