Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Victor,

While it's true that horses were here much earlier, they were not of sufficient size to ride. It's unknown why they became extinct, but they were probably hunted out. Being the size of a large dog probably made them a good addition to pre-historic meals.

The pre-historic natives did all of their hunting on foot.

Take care,

Joe
cactusjumper,
It's almost too incredible to believe that early people in the Americas never harnessed the horse.
I am glad that you have your voice back.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, picture a Dakota Sioux Indian on a Great Dane riding at full gallop chasing a Buffalo.

Mike

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Oro-
Lots of drama around the Pitt Mine it seems. What was the general consensus regarding it being the Lost Dutchman? The location seems to be removed from many of the surviving stories?

I still can't understand why Feldman would brag about 400 million being removed illegally. And why his "friends" would perpetuate the story here on TNet. Who needs that kind of friend? Then there is the statement from the Forest Service. "Nothing" was found. They simply excavated an old horizontal well from the 1880's. That seems to be the final word. But it's not. There is a strange book, constant finger pointing, an allegedly corrupt Forest Official, gossip about expensive cars and dangerous men. It honestly feels like BS legend building. Perhaps it's not. Perhaps it true and only the people in Franks magic circle know what really happened.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Oro-
Lots of drama around the Pitt Mine it seems. What was the general consensus regarding it being the Lost Dutchman? The location seems to be removed from many of the surviving stories?

I still can't understand why Feldman would brag about 400 million being removed illegally. And why his "friends" would perpetuate the story here on TNet. Who needs that kind of friend? Then there is the statement from the Forest Service. "Nothing" was found. They simply excavated an old horizontal well from the 1880's. That seems to be the final word. But it's not. There is a strange book, constant finger pointing, an allegedly corrupt Forest Official, gossip about expensive cars and dangerous men. It honestly feels like BS legend building. Perhaps it's not. Perhaps it true and only the people in Franks magic circle know what really happened.

Victor,

Do you have a credible source for the highlighted portion above? That's a pretty bold statement for someone who professes to be outside the loop on this story. What's your proof that such a claim was ever made?

Take care,

Joe

Ponchosportal

Nov 19, 2004
Primary Interest:
Other
Victor,

Do you have a credible source for the highlighted portion above? That's a pretty bold statement for someone who professes to be outside the loop on this story. What's your proof that such a claim was ever made?

Take care,

Joe

There is an individual who participated in the Pit Mine exploitation who is talking with a number of people; seems he is not happy with the way he was treated by the other participants. He is saying a lot of things.

Have a good day,
Poncho

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Victor,

Take care,

Joe
Credible? Well, since I came to that conclusion after reading many, many posts, including the ones that you wrote, and talking with people privately, I would say that the sources repeating the story are credible, including yourself, but not the actual story. I don't believe that anyone could get away with it and since I don't know Feldman, I have not ask him directly. I will if I ever meet him. But people in the "loop", you being one of them according to Frank, seem to believe that something shady happened at the Pitt. You as much said so in your comment about Jesse Feldman. I also remember a post about buying mines to cover up a theft? I thought that you posted that years back. I could be wrong.

So, yes my sources are credible but, the story is nothing more than a good story. Unless you want to share something special from the magic circle?

I don't profess to be outside the loop. I was told that's where I am and that you enjoy watching me fumbling around out here. But that came from Frank. If it's true, laughter is the best medicine.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
There is an individual who participated in the Pit Mine exploitation who is talking with a number of people; seems he is not happy with the way he was treated by the other participants. He is saying a lot of things.

Have a good day,
Poncho
I would ask to see some real, undeniable proof before getting behind anyone with that story. No disrespect intended to you or your source. Seeing people falsely accused is a scary idea. But being used to build local mythology doesn't sit well either.

Ponchosportal

Nov 19, 2004
Primary Interest:
Other
Additional Pit Mine reading for those interested:

(Link Removed by mod for rule violation)

@ moderator: Won't happen again; I apologize for breaking the rules.

Additional Pit Mine information can be found on other websites by searching for: "Pit Mine, illegal, LDM, etc." that information is still available for those interested in reading it.

Or, simply going to that other well known Website commonly referred to here on TN and searching there. Many of the posts there were written by an individual who commonly posts here.

Or send me a PM and I will provide you the link.

Have a nice day,
Poncho

Last edited:

Ponchosportal

Nov 19, 2004
Primary Interest:
Other
I would ask to see some real, undeniable proof before getting behind anyone with that story. No disrespect intended to you or your source. Seeing people falsely accused is a scary idea. But being used to build local mythology doesn't sit well either.

I'm thinking the guy can say anything he wants weather or not it is true is a different matter. That is why his accusations are not being repeated by me on TN. But they are a good story at this point; much like many of the other stories which have been posted here.

Have a good day,
Poncho

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I'm thinking the guy can say anything he wants weather or not it is true is a different matter. That is why his accusations are not being repeated by me on TN. But they are a good story at this point; much like many of the other stories which have been posted here.

Have a good day,
Poncho

You are correct. When one reads the link you shared, it's almost amazing that cactusjumper would even ask me that question.

I wish your "guy" would post something here that would put the whole Pitt Mine thing to rest, one way or another. That would be a story worth reading.

"Mike,

Good theory! Here's some more:

What if they found a NEW vein in an existing mine that they owned? What if they sold the gold to a private buyer.....no paperwork or income reports to the IRS?

The prospectors in the AJ area are a fairly close knit society. They meet on a regular basis for breakfast......say once a week or so. Newcomers may find them to be too closely knit for them to get their foot in the door. I am outside that little club, but do know about it.

I have heard that there were a number of private buyers and meetings prior to 1976.

Take care,

Joe"

From Ponco's link.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Additional Pit Mine reading for those interested:

(Link Removed by mod for rule violation)
Sorry, we do not allow links to other treasure forums...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem ....

@ moderator: Won't happen again; I apologize for breaking the rules.

I have edited the post above ... hope its not a problem

Have a great day,
Poncho
Your fine Poncho..👍

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get raked up in a pile about whether or not there were untoward activities involved. Wouldn't be the first time and probably won't be the last time.

I do have some interest in whether or not the dig site can be confirmed to be the LDM. If it is ....good for them. Regardless, my feeling are there is more just like it in that area, yet to find.

What DOES frost my chops is ............. the lack of information.

The Forest Service and the BLM, both of which were involved, are funded by me and you and everyone else that made a donation yesterday (tax day).

I don't care if Mr. Feldman and company were charged for the services they used, it still should be public information. We aren't running a private for hire organization out there. Its public business and should be public information.

For instance........there were required archeologist on site. Where's their report?

Samples of the timber uncovered were removed and carbon dated (or whatever newer method).

Where are the results? For historic reasons that information should be public. What time period do they point to? Department of Interior under Historic preservation SHOULD have that information and SHOULD have made it publically available including retaining samples for further testing as methods are updated. Where are they? Do they date to pre Columbian, Spanish or later? That would go a long way in settling a lot of the unknowns.

If that information is "out there" I haven't found it and I'm usually pretty good at searching for information. If it there, I humbly apologize for not being able to find it. If its in Mr. Feldman's book nobody has talked about it. And I shouldn't and you shouldn't have to buy a book to know the answer. That's why the danged Government was involved in the first place. For the benefit of "We the People".

Rant over.........

Lynda

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you would say, Matt..... <g> Must be something in the wind ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions