Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

"Joe - I would respectfully disagree with you on that statement about 'wasting your time looking for the lost Dutchman mine' - for I don't see that as any kind of wasted time. I would say that spending a lifetime working at a factory somewhere, putting a widget on another widget day after day just for the dollars to keep alive to keep putting more widgets on widgets would be the true waste of our time. Just the opinion of a prospector of course, which profession was once viewed as an honorable calling."

As I wrote, I never wasted my time looking for the LDM. Glad you agree.:occasion14:

Take care,

Joe

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So horses and mules could be led or even ridden right up to the pit mine itself.
That's a fact which seems to have also been known since at least 1882, if not as far back as 1875.
Does that make it a plus or a minus on the balance sheet ??
Didn't Waltz also say something about HIS mine being in a very rough place ? I would take that as meaning too rough for draft animals.

Herman Mountain ?
Someone named a mountain after Herman Petrache ?
They named a mesa after Coronado.
And another mountain after Geronimo....and a cave as well.

And that "no miner" thing....well what a crazy thing to say when he must have known about all the silver claims along that ridge.
But then again, if he didn't know what silver ore looked like....he could say that I guess. And didn't realize that his mine was actually a played-out silver mine, or if he did....just forgot to mention it to anyone.

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Roy,

"Joe - I would respectfully disagree with you on that statement about 'wasting your time looking for the lost Dutchman mine' - for I don't see that as any kind of wasted time. I would say that spending a lifetime working at a factory somewhere, putting a widget on another widget day after day just for the dollars to keep alive to keep putting more widgets on widgets would be the true waste of our time. Just the opinion of a prospector of course, which profession was once viewed as an honorable calling."

As I wrote, I never wasted my time looking for the LDM. Glad you agree.:occasion14:

Take care,

Joe

i would say that if someone is in the mountains looking for the ldm ...he is on a fools errand..but definitely not wasting his time...like roy said...beats laying around indoors ....many a man has spent their lives in the mountains...chuck crawford...bob ward...al morrow..chuck aylors... and countless others..none of them got rich but they had a blast doing what they wanted to do with their lives...thats more than most of us can say

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
No doubt Wayne. I am sure there are holes in what I believe and much information that could broaden my knowledge. I don't claim to know it all, just some small pieces in which I have great confidence. My quest from the get-go was to affirm, where possible, what exists in the public record and obtainable in off-record sources. That I have done on this subject and others.

Now as to the rendezvous.......Had I visited, I feel fairly confident I could have, by my appearance alone, cleared up any misconception in the minds of dirty old men that I'm some kind of rich cougar praying on young men as toys. A conversation enjoyed by many, including you. How laughable on many levels, and how incredibly small and evil minded in the perpetuators of such rubbish.

I hope that you will attend the annual rendezvous, I am certain that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Coffee anyone?

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope that you will attend the annual rendezvous, I am certain that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Coffee anyone?

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Old

There goes my whole plan down the Drain, Tiger

The whole thing was taken out of context, It was'nt about you!

Unless your real name is Ryan!

Wrmickel1. Whooooooooo

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://superstitionmountainhikes.com/assets/USBM_MLA_136-82.pdf

Another report which was available many years before the diggers went up to the mine.
The map on Pg. 20 shows some of the mines/tailing dumps that were tested during the survey.
I suspect a few would have been interested in what the report and maps might have offered as leads into where to begin a search for lost or forgotten mines.

wilderness survey map.jpg

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1882 report.jpg Title page 1982 assesment.jpg

100 years apart......kinda interesting, trivia wise.
Also that the SWA was closed to mineral entry (exploration and extraction) in 1984, the year before that cowboy showed the two other men where the pit mine was.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to bust the fantasy bubble Mick. Contrary to popular belief I'm neither rich nor interested in an expanded social life <g>. The fact that I at this late stage in life get up every morning and go to work and don't jet off to the Mediterranean should have been a clue. Drat; them facts get in the way of some of the best campfire stories. Is that the best they can come up with to explain away their concerns of any interest I may have in the hills of Arizona? Pretty lame theory.

But; on the good side; if those stores that are EASILY disproved bear weight in some circles, the LDM is safe from their discovery. Don't think they'd recognize it if they fell in it. Some detectives, hey?

Think I'll pass on that invitation Roy. I don't need to travel 2500 miles to find that kind of .........thought process. Yeah, that's a good word. Thought process.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hate to bust the fantasy bubble Mick. Contrary to popular belief I'm neither rich nor interested in an expanded social life <g>. The fact that I at this late stage in life get up every morning and go to work and don't jet off to the Mediterranean should have been a clue. Drat; them facts get in the way of some of the best campfire stories. Is that the best they can come up with to explain away their concerns of any interest I may have in the hills of Arizona? Pretty lame theory.

But; on the good side; if those stores that are EASILY disproved bear weight in some circles, the LDM is safe from their discovery. Don't think they'd recognize it if they fell in it. Some detectives, hey?

Think I'll pass on that invitation Roy. I don't need to travel 2500 miles to find that kind of .........thought process. Yeah, that's a good word. Thought process.

I don't understand on what ground you feel justified being derogatory towards people you've never met in person, never mind the bizarre "thought process" description you conjured up in a previous post.

If you actually met Wayne (somehiker) in person, you'd find him a cordial fella, pretty sharp, very knowledgeable and conversational on just about any subject. Absolutely the furthest you can get from lewdness.

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
i would say that if someone is in the mountains looking for the ldm ...he is on a fools errand..but definitely not wasting his time...like roy said...beats laying around indoors ....many a man has spent their lives in the mountains...chuck crawford...bob ward...al morrow..chuck aylors... and countless others..none of them got rich but they had a blast doing what they wanted to do with their lives...thats more than most of us can say

Had (and having) the greatest adventure of my life in these mountains. I'd never trade it for anything else.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave

If the search for the LDM , which has a lot of clues , is on a fools errand , then , what would means the search for the Lost Ship silver mine which has about 2 clues ( Travis carving and Cayce hypnosis reading ) .

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
marius...come out to arizona and spend a couple weeks in the mountain and you will see what i mean...the first time i ever went into the mountains i figured i'd locate the ldm by lunchtime....by about 10 a.m. i realized i was wrong....it is far worse than you can imagine or describe..you just have to experience it...you could be within 10 foot of the mine and never know it

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I don't understand on what ground you feel justified being derogatory towards people you've never met in person, never mind the bizarre "thought process" description you conjured up in a previous post.

If you actually met Wayne (somehiker) in person, you'd find him a cordial fella, pretty sharp, very knowledgeable and conversational on just about any subject. Absolutely the furthest you can get from lewdness.

I have to agree here 100%. Having met Wayne several times over the years I can say that he has never been anything but a perfect gentleman. In fact I still owe him for a kindness he did for me. It is hardly fair to pre-judge people one has never met. The annual rendezvous is a friendly get together and in fact the standing rule has been that all conflicts are left outside the gate. Old it appears that you have some misunderstandings about the rendezvous, which would evaporate if you would simply attend one. I hope you will make the trip some day.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
marius...come out to arizona and spend a couple weeks in the mountain and you will see what i mean...the first time i ever went into the mountains i figured i'd locate the ldm by lunchtime....by about 10 a.m. i realized i was wrong....it is far worse than you can imagine or describe..you just have to experience it...you could be within 10 foot of the mine and never know it

Dave

For sure i will come . Is just a matter of time . Some things should be resolved and get cleared out .
As i wrote hundred times , nobody will find it if will don't know where exactly is . So you are right on this detail .

Happy New Year

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the upticks gentlemen.
As I said, I've never heard anyone mention Lynda in any conversation but one, which was at the Rendezvous but completely professional in nature. My only telephone conversation with her was the same. But I've always felt that people were entitled to have and hold their own ideas, even when they run contrary to my own, so if she wants to believe in the pit mine=LDM theories, or that those in the LDM community see her as some kind of latter-day Mata Hari, then so be it.
For those of you which have a copy of the Jack Carlson/Elizabeth Stewart "Superstition Trails East", on pg. 274 there is a copy of a map showing the multitude of claims along that ridge. It is also dated 1882, and the author was Augustus Cox....perhaps he was related to Quenton (Ted) Cox ?
Anyone know ?
Jack's book also gives the history of those mines, and provides instructions plus a map of the easiest trail up to and along the ridgeline.

Last edited:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other

Consider Duelly Noted Old, Bubble Busted,

but to level the field and ease the desire, Perhapes post a pic of yourself.
I'll start, let's see who all does it.

wrmickel1

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the things I came across while rummaging through my files.....

LDM files 1892 LDM article.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread