Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jim

I believe Luke and Kirkland were the second team , with the Julia's to be the first . At last , they were not searching only for the fame .
The LDM is not where you can hike holding your coffee in one hand and your mobile phone in the other . Nor where you can run a metal detector or shot a video legally .

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ought to take some serious time and read up on the other, much older forum. There's a tremendous wealth of information left there by the giants of LDM researchers that have since passed on or left. Well worth your time.

Some REALLY good stuff was on another LDM forum that had a glitch quite awhile ago, was never brought back up and only exists in a few formats tucked away in people files.

Of course it's pretty likely none of that stuff ever helped anyone find a mine either :)

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, yesterday I posted the 3 PC Bicknell LDM articles...priming the pump, so to speak....

It may not be a coincidence that Bicknell took off to search for the Doc Thorne (nice touch, he was actually searching for Waltz's mine) in November of 1894...especially with Frank Kirkland, and Kirkland's mining partner, Frank Luke...

Frank Luke and Frank Kirkland were mining men, partners in some rich mines, and were other things such as saloon operators...they also knew Gus Hirschfield....

Along about August of 1894, Gus Hirschfield gets a bond on the Bulldog in Goldfield...on the 19th of August, the AZ Republic reports Hirschfield leaves Phoenix for the mine...with Frank Kirkland...

Less than 3 months later, 09 November of 1894, Kirkland is searching for the LDM...

WHY? Perhaps while up in Goldfield, Kirkland was admiring Hirschfield's nice little matchbox, and a neat story ensued?

Kirkland takes with him his good friend and mining partner, Frank Luke...and some guy named P.C. Bicknell...a good prospector in his own right...who by the way has no doubt interviewed Juila Thomas, Rhinehart Petrash, and a probably very uncooperative Dick Holmes, about the LDM...Hmmm...could they be the first "Legends" Team? :icon_scratch:

View attachment 1645174

Nice job digging into all that stuff - new information to me I believe. Quite a few "coincidences" there!!

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jim

I believe Luke and Kirkland were the second team , with the Julia's to be the first . At last , they were not searching only for the fame .
The LDM is not where you can hike holding your coffee in one hand and your mobile phone in the other . Nor where you can run a metal detector or shot a video legally .

You are right about Julia's being the first...as far as coffee and cell phones, I don't know about that...I think the current Legends Team is a bit more hard-bitten than that, has left footprints and dug gold in some out of the way places...now if you're talking about me, you're pretty much right:

View attachment 1645556

Here I am processing concentrates in the God-forsaken wilds of the back porch...note the cell phone...I'm sure there's a cup of coffee and a metal detector around there somewhere:tongue3: Take care, Amigo...Jim

Last edited:

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right about Julia's being the first...as far as coffee and cell phones, I don't know about that...I think the current Legends Team is a bit more hard-bitten than that, has left footprints and dug gold in some out of the way places...now if you're talking about me, you're pretty much right:

View attachment 1645556

Here I am processing concentrates in the God-forsaken wilds of the back porch...note the cell phone...I'm sure there's a cup of coffee and a metal detector around there somewhere:tongue3: Take care, Amigo...Jim

That looks like fun man. Just got to Mesa. Before I left I was reading this:, or more commonly the Reed letters. Who else thinks they are little free with the times of travel involved? I mean the guy went from North Dakota to Canada and to the LDM at least three times right? Back in the day that would have been some seriously treacherous travel. They also supposedly kept robbing Walz at the mine. Makes no sense what so ever to me. I dunno. It's been a long day. Hope everyone's dreams are full of your own personal LDM fellas. Have a good one!

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like fun man. Just got to Mesa. Before I left I was reading this:, or more commonly the Reed letters. Who else thinks they are little free with the times of travel involved? I mean the guy went from North Dakota to Canada and to the LDM at least three times right? Back in the day that would have been some seriously treacherous travel. They also supposedly kept robbing Walz at the mine. Makes no sense what so ever to me. I dunno. It's been a long day. Hope everyone's dreams are full of your own personal LDM fellas. Have a good one!

You come all the way out here from Tennessee just to kill yourself hiking the Sups looking for old Jacob's roost?

Now that's dedication!

I try and stay as far away from the Superstitions and that old Julia Thomas / Dutchman tale as I can get. I have enough to hunt down here near Tucson for two lifetimes. The Mine with the Iron Door, Lost Robbery Loot, Lost City or Ciru, Treasures of Tumacacori, Molina Redotero Treasure Doc, Lost Mission's, it's busy down here so there's no time for the Superstition range.

But hey, free food & booze complete with imaginary tall tales are always a magnet for the soul. Maybe someone will solve them damn fake stone maps and make a buck?

That'll be the day!

Enjoy your stay in AZ.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You come all the way out here from Tennessee just to kill yourself hiking the Sups looking for old Jacob's roost?

Now that's dedication!

I try and stay as far away from the Superstitions and that old Julia Thomas / Dutchman tale as I can get. I have enough to hunt down here near Tucson for two lifetimes. The Mine with the Iron Door, Lost Robbery Loot, Lost City or Ciru, Treasures of Tumacacori, Molina Redotero Treasure Doc, Lost Mission's, it's busy down here so there's no time for the Superstition range.

But hey, free food & booze complete with imaginary tall tales are always a magnet for the soul. Maybe someone will solve them damn fake stone maps and make a buck?

That'll be the day!

Enjoy your stay in AZ.

I don't know about making a buck but I have solved the damn stones...lol...I really don't care IF anyone believes me or not...As I have said before...I don't believe I need to prove my claims...hahaha...

Have I failed to mention...The stones have nothing to do with the LDM or Arizona for that matter...hehehe

Ed T:)

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From looking for the LDM, I have a hard time believing where he tells the location is where the ldm, All other clues tell me its somewhere else. Do love the story just not the location.

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that's dedication!

That'll be the day!

Enjoy your stay in AZ.[/QUOTE]

Does remind me of this spot though that Reed explains. View attachment 1645962

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
From looking for the LDM, I have a hard time believing where he tells the location is where the ldm, All other clues tell me its somewhere else. Do love the story just not the location.

I place zero faith in the Reed letters

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I don't know about making a buck but I have solved the damn stones...lol...I really don't care IF anyone believes me or not...As I have said before...I don't believe I need to prove my claims...hahaha...

Have I failed to mention...The stones have nothing to do with the LDM or Arizona for that matter...hehehe

Good for you........:laughing7:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I place zero faith in the Reed letters

I agree with you . The only accurate clue in Reed's letters about the LDM place is the four acres area . Of course in his letters , he was describing the LDM inclined shaft region and not the tunnel with the outcrop above .
For the lovers of GE images , i post a GE image of the LDM inclined shaft spot . Don't dismiss it . It's worth but you don't know it yet .

View attachment 1645963

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you........:laughing7:

IF you can convince a certain person on this site, who now claims to be an analytical chemist, to clue you in on a sample of a certain ore that I sent him...You may be enlightened a bit alan...

I still claim that said ore came from a certain real de minas that the Spanish worked, which Antonio Ulloa presented platinum unto some many years ago...Wouldn't that be some provenance IF such a claim could be confirmed???Oh well...

I could just be another nut making some extravagant claims...

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
IF you can convince a certain person on this site, who now claims to be an analytical chemist, to clue you in on a sample of a certain ore that I sent him...You may be enlightened a bit alan...

I still claim that said ore came from a certain real de minas that the Spanish worked, which Antonio Ulloa presented platinum unto some many years ago...Wouldn't that be some provenance IF such a claim could be confirmed???Oh well...

What does this have to do with your solution to the stone tablets?

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

this seems to be directed at me so i will answer...i have done ore testing for people for many years and most of them bring me a few pounds...you gave paul 2 little pebbles smaller than a garden pea ..in turn he was supposed to give them to me to test..which he did..he handed them to me and we looked at each other and laughed....i tossed them as they were to small to do anything with...talk is cheap but if you'd like to step up to the plate and put your money where your mouth is...i will bring a handheld xrf analyzer to the rendezvous and test your ore....unless you fear your ore will be proved worthless ..i'll bet everything i own against everything you own that i show up at the rendezvous with an xrf ready to test your ore...lets see once and for all which one of us is full of doo-doo....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread