Is there a beach cleaner at Cocoa Beach?

rons1947

Jul 12, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was detecting at Cocoa Beach last Saturday and noticed that they seem to be using a beach cleaner.The county tried one of these beach cleaners out at Cocoa Beach a few years ago,but only for a short time.I have hunted after these things have been used and find nothing,but trash.They seem to leave behind a lot of trash,but pick up any good items.I hope that the beach cleaner is not there to stay,or we will have fewer finds in the dry sand. >:(

Upvote 0

wecandigit

Feb 8, 2011
They use these in Destin and Ft Walton Beach. The operator in Ft Walton tries to get as close to the water line as possible. He will ride the upper and lowerparts of cuts. Not so much in Destin. I mostly hunt in water/wet sand and cleaners thankfully cant go there. But there are things left behind by them at 4 or 5 inches. They are not 100% perfect and are mostly interested in cigarette butts, cans , bottles, beach trash etc.

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI
I was hunting behind Ron Jon there at Cocoa just this past Friday. I was not finding any targets at all, not even a bottle cap, and I thought that was odd for this paticular area, so I started my way to the pier. After I had walked just a few feet up the beach, I saw it, there it was, tracks in the sand from the cleaner than had combed the beach just a day or two prior. When I made it to the pier beach area the tracks stopped at the south side of the guarded area. I hunted around there for a while and still didn't find much so I made my way back working at the surf line. All in all I hunted for 3 hours and found a piece of a junk pendent and less then a dollar in change. But the trip wasn't a total bust. Since my beach trip was cut short the wife wanted to go shopping at the local Goodwill, she found 5 designer named suits in great condition for $60. One of them being a Neiman Marcus.

HH
Digger

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much a cleaner leaves behind is based on what type it is. If it has the rotating tines, it would leave the coins and most rings behind. Ig you are unlucky enough to have one of those scooping-conveyor belt cleaners, you're pretty much hosed if you aren't getting in just before they clean.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have never seen a beach cleaning machine anywere on cocoa beach, however the obvious/most popular spots that get pounded/cleaned by detectorist daily!!!!!!!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
From my 2007 entry:
It really depends on the type of beach cleaner. A beach rake has stainless steel tinges that sweep the trash onto a conveyor belt into a hopper. Pull tabs, cigarette butts and coins and rings are left behind. BUT if its a Sand Sifter then it actually picks up the sand from 1 inch to 6 inches, runs it over a stainless steel mesh sifting everything dime size and up and dumping it into a hopper and the deeper targets remain. If you can find the area where they dump the contents of the hopper, it could be very profitable for the TH'er.

Here are some websites that you can check out:

http://www.cleanbeach.com/beachking.htm

http://www.beach-trotters.com/ing/productos/

http://www.hbarber.com/

Good luck TH'ing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread