ft lauderdale golden mile is a bust anyone know why ?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
wow a treasure hunters paradice.

all the big name hotels are here. these people seem to be dripping with jewelry.

ritz carlton. hilton . shulas. etc.

not hardly a damn coin on the beach, much less any jewelry.

3 hrs got a nickel and 3 pennies. fish lure ,hairclip.

the sand here is coarse weird brown.

is this stuff trucked in recently ?

are they big on beach cleaning machines here ?

what gives? ive dreamed of huntin here.

didnt venture into the water... after last year none of the rough water on the e coast

produced any good. got what good stuff i did find on the beach.dry sand.

then i see dew gurus stuff from november. guess im gonn get out there n tough it at least one day.

Upvote 0

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: ft lauderdale golden mile is a bust

Good luck on the next hunt, ScroungerD

Lorraine

Sandpiper

Jan 16, 2005
Here they use screening cleaners on our beaches, nothing escapes - but maybe a stud earring. Some beaches use a rake cleaner which is much different. Also people do read the internet about finds posted, and not just M-detect people, everyone is being educated what not to do while on the beach!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in my opinion the lack of finds that everyone is posting about is due to ........

1. sand build up and lack of erosion. back in october/november we had some storms here on the east coast that gave us some great erosion. since then it has just been building up and getting deeper and deeper. any of 2011s gold drops that were not found then have been covered by all the sand buildup.
2. lack of depositors. people are not getting in the water much and not slathering on the suntan lotion, both of which cause lost items.

put both of the above statements together and it spells bleak hunting.

good luck on the rest of your hunts, hope you get some yellow!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, lets face it, people aren't wearing jewelry like they used to.

It's still out there, but not in the same quantities.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year people were complaing that there was no gold being found and saying people were not wearing gold anymore. When the water warmed up the finds started rolling in. I just started water hunting last year and the people at the beaches were coverd in gold jewelery.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree with seeker 41, the beaches are getting sanded in. When a beach gets eroded away, that is when the pickings are good. It takes a lot of traveling around, and a lot of local knowledge on what a beach looks like all the time, and watching the weather, waves, and tides, to find one that is eroding. You have to be there when the tides are right and when it is eroding. You cant just go to a beach and expect to find gold. It is a lot of work and research, plus being local helps..

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lookindown said:
Last year people were complaing that there was no gold being found and saying people were not wearing gold anymore. When the water warmed up the finds started rolling in. I just started water hunting last year and the people at the beaches were coverd in gold jewelery.

And which beach was that again? ;D

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
speak of the devil......while i sit here and type....the big beach screening machine came by.

yesterday also the water was pretty calm so i ventured in.

i got right back out. you could see the brown sand forming in riffle patterns on the natural bottom.

which is much whiter saND.

ill bet this beach hasnt been here more than a week.

these municipalities suck.

they got all this excess income where they can spend on crap.

and they get it from us thru high motel surcharges.

parking fees and photo controlled traffic devices..

BLEEEEECH

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theres more in the water there - got a handful of friends that hunt down there
they are not getting a ton of gold but they still are getting some
you got to know where to go - got to learn a beach
if you cant - you are just going on luck
my first few blind trips to Fla. - I got a lot of junk - some coins and a few pieces of
silver
since - I got about 50 pieces of gold and 100 pieces of silver
jewelry in last 10 trips in last 7 yrs down there

this is from one of my last trips down there

Attachments

• another4 in flo.jpg
    another4 in flo.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 492
  • another4inflo sil.jpg
    another4inflo sil.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 487
OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
them are some fine lookin scores there casper. i am scoring a little just not here.

i dont know this specific area. so im driving a couple hours each day to a beach i know better.

you dont move around some u aint gonna learn any new areas.

and aside from detecting that what a vaca is supposed to be

did i say aside from detecting :BangHead: obv theres nothing else :laughing9:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you will notice "on any beach" is that there are certain areas that see a lot more use then other areas of the beach, and for a variety of reasons. This is true of small county lake beaches in the northlands and the long never ending stretches of ocean beaches along the coast. This isn't to say that good items won't be found at any point along a beach, it's just that some areas of beach experience a whole lot more traffic throughout the year/season. With everything else being equal, these are the areas I always try to locate first.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Casper needs to give gold locating instruction to the Hoffmans :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still se tons of people with gold jewelry on...the problem is as said in above posts, our beaches are s-a-n-d-e-d i-n bad...... Gold is there, it is just covered in sand. If we get a good storm that removes some of the sand you will see we are correct as there will be lots of finds....... Florida has not had a good storm in several eyars, I mean any storm that hits at the right angle to the shore line, i mean a storm, even a nor'eastern....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to hear guys say - dont hit the soft sand - dont hit the sand bars
dont know if it is because they are finding gold there and they dont want to share
or because they personally have not done good in those spots
when in Fla. - first thing I look for are good cuts
that is usually where you got a chance if you get in there first - you gonna get some yellow

if there are no cuts - I try hitting the troughs
where a lot of stuff gets deposited too - once again - luck and being at the right place at the right time
helps
another tip - I hunt in all metal - used to use a PI a lot and dig it all
I have found gold down there under junk that others passed up
I have dug down deep and pulled up large iron and rechecked and found rings and have pulled out
old aluminum cans that others passed up or threw back and found gold under them too

now - all things being equal - if you have a beach that get 1000 people daily
and you have a smaller beach that gets 100 people daily
all would agree - your best chance would be the one withthe greater number
of people - that being said
the beach with the greater number - would probably attract more TH'ers too
but the possibility exists that the busier beach may go a week without anyone
losing a piece of gold - and the possibility exists that the same week some one
lost a piece of gold each day at that smaller beach - you never know

I have a handful of fresh water beaches within a 10 mile drive from my house
one is a good size and on a hot day you could see anywhere from 100 - 500
people there - I have another one that used to be more popular long ago
but has limited parking and they charge now and it is real small and will get 15-20 people
- there are like 5 regulars that hit that larger beach - this smaller one
guys might stop by if they are bored - but there is not much ever there
I average about $1.00 in change and will get a ring or earring now and then
one summer it was hot and that large beach was packed
guys were in there everyday and I jumped in there a few times
I got a few thin gold rings there - none of the other guys were getting much
a few silvers some change
well they had shut down other beaches in the area and that small beach got
more than its usual handful of people - I decided to hit there one morning instead
of the larger one - within 15 mins I had a 1 carat mens diamond pinky ring and an
small diamond engagement ring - so you never know

at another beach in R.I. - most of the people stay in the middle
surfer claim the right and very few - most locals go to the far left
Th'ers hammer the middle - they may drift to the right or left but always come back to the middle
they dont get much down at either end
I went down the left one day cause there were already some guys hitting the congested spot
- it was slim pickins for targets but got one of the largest class rings I ever got - down about 2 feet down with my Pi
and got a couple of other deep gold - so hunting the area less traveled paid off
you never know

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
lookindown said:

And which beach was that again? ;D
The one on the West coast...guess I could narrow it down a little...between Pensacola and Naples...hope I havent said too much. ;D

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The unemployment rate for Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, Florida was 9.6% in December 2011 which equals 280,000 people. If just one percent (.01) buy a metal detector for something to do while waiting for their next unemployment check equals 2800 people. Of that 700 get up at the crack of dawn to sweep the beaches while the other 2100 show up at other hours to finish what the early birders didn't get. Vacationing TH'ers come to the beach to escape the cold of the North and find the beaches stripped of clad coins and jewelry. :angry5: It's not just these beaches, its all the beaches on both coasts, they are hunted to death. :BangHead:
Finds are abundant IF you know where to LOOK. You'll have to dig a whole bunch of trash but you'll score. :blob7: Research, Research and more Research is the key. Go to the library of any city and check its history from the founding of the city to the present. Take a notebook and write down anything that smells like TREASURE. When you pop that first silver dime or gold ring then you will know what to do in the future when times get tougher.
Good Luck! :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread