Is there a reason to save Canadian coins?

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I just realized I had a whole roll of BU 1964 canadian pennies. totally forgot that I had bought them. Sweet! And I found in my so-so coins 1915 and 1920 canadian penny. I also found a 1896 penny that has a bend in it. I am wondering if I can safely fix this bend using a padded vice or if I should just leave it alone. it's a 30 degree bend near the top. Also i have a 1886 penny with a hole in the top (::growls:: ). Don't know if I should just give them away or put them into my spring yard sale. Nearby coin shops probably won't give me anything for them because they can get them cheaper elsewhere (Don't know what they mean by that but ehh ::shrugs shoulders:: )

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the last year for the silvers? I just got a boat load out of a reject tray. don't know squat about foreign coins.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's a dime, quarter, or halve, and NOT magnetic. It's silver.

1968 was the cutoff for quarters and dimes - Not ALL 1968s are silver. Magnet check.

Plus, they look, feel, and sound different.

coinflation.com <-- click canada at the top for more details.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks coinfetcher! I should have thought of that.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a cat named smokey - it's the least I do for yah!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Sag, appreciate the update. I got to start writing all this down. as for having a lot of canadian money just take rolls of it to a store when you go shopping. ask to switch out for cash. If its anything smaller than a quarter there's no reason why a store or a bank can't take it. I have had no problems whatsoever getting rid of my non-silver canada coinage. Now if you have loonies and toonies ( 1 & 2 dollar coins) that's an entirely different beast. Those you would have to go to a foreign currency exchange.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Canadian is not used on par with US here in Maryland, that only applies to border states.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I also found a 1896 penny that has a bend in it. I am wondering if I can safely fix this bend using a padded vice or if I should just leave it alone. it's a 30 degree bend near the top.

The 1896 cent is worth just a few dollars, so a wooden vice would be okay (even if there would be some damage, it is common.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say I would trade canadian for american to those CRHers in the southern states but that is a big no-no for TN obviously. I can spend them just as easily as regular moola.

Hey! FYI just for a 1967 bicentenial canadian proof set in my "so-so" coins. That is definitely going into my silver stash. happy, happy happy joy!!

Smiles,
Garoulady

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say I would trade canadian for american to those CRHers in the southern states but that is a big no-no for TN obviously. I can spend them just as easily as regular moola.

Hey! FYI just for a 1967 bicentenial canadian proof set in my "so-so" coins. That is definitely going into my silver stash. happy, happy happy joy!!

Smiles,
Garoulady

The set is centennial, not BIcentennial

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread