Is there a "Safe" way to clean War Nickels?...Full Steps?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just curious if there is a safe way to Clean a war Nickel.

I recently found a couple War Nickels Dectecting...Both the same year, same Mint mark.

But I noticed one of them was in really good shape.

I have heard of "Full Steps" on nickels.....would this Qualify?

Im only asking because Ive never found a War nick in this good of shape.

Attachments

• Back of war Nick.jpg
    Back of war Nick.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 247

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The full steps designation is important in uncirculated coins but doesn't mean much on lesser grades. I'd use some hot soapy water to remove any dirt/grime first and then reevaluate it before doing anything more.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The full steps designation is important in uncirculated coins but doesn't mean much on lesser grades. I'd use some hot soapy water to remove any dirt/grime first and then reevaluate it before doing anything more.

Thanks Cuda!...Im far from an Expert on coins...which is why I bug everone here..lol
I just didnt want to scew somethign up that could have been worth more than melt vaule

i usally take a scour pad to these things and scratch the hell out of them...but this is the best shaped one i own.

thanks!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin!

Out of all the silver War Nickels I've ever found in the ground (several dozen) there hasn't been
ONE that didn't have some degree of soil condition damage. With that said, I just use
Baking Soda + water to make a paste then GENTLY rub the nickel until it looks "pretty" :icon_sunny:

No matter how careful a person is in cleaning (or not cleaning) a dug coin, professional scrutiny is generally
not in your favor. If you're not planning to sell them, I wouldn't worry. . . maybe clean the lesser grade
nickel and see how you like the results.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Diggin-N-Dumps,

While the "Full Steps" designation is highly sought after in Uncirculated Jefferson Nickels and makes them more valuable than any that do not have Full Steps, I really can't agree that it doesn't mean much on lower grade coins. Any Expert and/or serious Collector of Jefferson Nickels will tell you that it is not very easy to find (in bags, rolls or hoards) or even purchase a true "Full Steps" Jefferson Nickel at an MS-63 grade or below. It seems that with Jefferson Nickels, besides the hair over and above Jefferson's ear, the steps on Monticello are the first ones to show wear and/or damage!

I am sorry to say that your' War Nickel does not have Full Steps! To get the "Full Steps" designation, the steps on the Monticello have to be totally unbroken by wear, dents, smudging from grease (i.e. struck thru grease) or damaged/obliterated details due to poor repairs to a Die (i.e. grinding and/or polishing) by a Mint worker.

Frank

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is never a proper way to clean a coin.
Even the baking soda + salt + hot water solution for removing toning and dull color on silver coins leaves small scratches on the surface of the coin.

WheatWaffle

Bronze Member
Oct 30, 2013
My personal opinion, normally, the condition is everything, but when it comes to silver, who cares? Silver is silver, regardless of condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread