Is there gold in rappids plaese answer

gold guy

Jan 2, 2013
Hey guys I am getting a sluice box Friday and I pan dredge etc on buffalo creek in concord Nc near reeds gold mine and I have dug a hole probaly 3 feet wide and a 1ft and a half deep in rapids I have accutaly found copper only panned once so should I stay and try my sluice or go somewhere else

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome gold guy. Kind of depends where in the rapids you are digging. Is it around boulders or in the middle of the rapids? If you're in the middle with nothing slowing down the water so the gold will drop out (boulders) then you are wasting your time. I would find inside gravel bars, exposed bedrock, large boulders in and out of the creek where they are deposited by flood waters. Gold goes deep so dig deep. If you are lucky bedrock will be shallow.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

OP
OP
gold guy

gold guy

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks and I live on the slate belt that goes across nc so bedrock is not to far and there is about 4 giant concrete slabs in the slow part of the creek right beside the rapids so much black sand around them would that be worth trying

Timmy Tom

Aug 14, 2012
It would not hurt to try the black sands or at least sample pan. Different parts and depths. I have been on the arkansas river last two days and have sampled a lot of black sands and most do not contain gold but a few do. And think small minus 30 mesh. Pan slow and easy.

TT

OP
OP
gold guy

gold guy

Jan 2, 2013
Same here lots of black sand no yellow proboly not deep enough I live on a slate belt so bedrock is shallow

Gold Guy

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Usually, the coarser stuff drops in the rapids, if there's something to slow it, and the finer stuff sifts out along the banks. I'm talking about a set of rapids that runs down a pretty straight shot of bedrock-bottomed river with drops and occasional wider spots that encourage deposition as well.

All the best,

Lanny

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen Lanny as NO rules just supposition and maybe. No 2 rapids ever the same even within 100 yards of each other. Jus' never know till ya look as rapids usually mean large boulders which catch like riffles in a sluicebox BUT maybe hahahaha---John

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rapids are not usually rapid during flooding but gold being moved along the bottom will hang up anywhere there are cracks and crevices.
May not be my first choice to look but as they say "gold is where you find it"

GG~

Hangtown

Jan 10, 2013
El dorado county
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks and I live on the slate belt that goes across nc so bedrock is not to far and there is about 4 giant concrete slabs in the slow part of the creek right beside the rapids so much black sand around them would that be worth trying
Work the shore dirt.

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember to break the surface tension so the fine flour gold don't float out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions