Best place to move for gold abundance?

Barry-Goodknight

Sep 4, 2012
Black Hawk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I just talked my girlfriend into moving anywhere out west that I want soon as our lease is up.

I want to choose the best state/county that I can for gold abundance.

Anyone know of some really good areas?

I was thinking of Arizona because the cost of living seems to be really low. I sort of want to stay away from Cali because of their stupid taxes and ridiculous housing costs.

Alaska would also be great, but that's a long way away. I haven't checked cost of living but I feel like Alaska would probably be very expensive too.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No gold left in Arizona! :dontknow: Please move to Idaho. :laughing7:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
North-Western, Western, and South-Western states. Do some research on gold production for the various Western oriented states and then decide. Are you after coarse gold or find gold? Be sure to factor that in as well.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
B

Barry-Goodknight

Sep 4, 2012
Black Hawk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coarse, ideally.

I am in Colorado now, I have access to all the coarse gold I can handle. A whole day running the sluice will net me a pile of powder gold that weighs about 0.00000001 grams.

I'm sure there are "hot" areas here, but from what I read online AZ, CA, and NV are the best states.

Ca has too high taxes, my girlfriend will move to NV but it can't be anywhere near Vegas as she thinks I will magically develop a hooker and meth addiction. So AZ seems to be the best option. It's cheap and has good gold. I was looking at the Sierra Vista area, looks nice.

North-Western, Western, and South-Western states. Do some research on gold production for the various Western oriented states and then decide. Are you after coarse gold or find gold? Be sure to factor that in as well.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
B

Barry-Goodknight

Sep 4, 2012
Black Hawk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No gold left in Arizona! :dontknow: Please move to Idaho. :laughing7:

I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bisbee, AZ.
Awesome hippee mining town untouched by time. Go there. Live.

OP
OP
B

Barry-Goodknight

Sep 4, 2012
Black Hawk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea? I was looking at the area about an hour ago.

I checked criagslist to get an idea of housing prices, google maps, and other stuff. Seems like a pretty solid area.

Bisbee, AZ.
Awesome hippee mining town untouched by time. Go there. Live.

OP
OP
B

Barry-Goodknight

Sep 4, 2012
Black Hawk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This area also looks promising..

YAVAPAI COUNTY, ARIZONA

In central Arizona, Yavapai County ranks first among the gold producing counties, having produced over 3,500,000 ounces of lode gold and over 300,000 ounces of placer gold.

In the Bagdad area which is located 42 mile west of Prescott, there are many area mines in southwest part of the Eureka district. This area had a total production of around 60,000 ounces., 1887-1951, mainly from production at the Hillside Mine which was a major lode gold mine in the area.

In the Black Canyon City district, in the southeast part of county, located between east foothills of the Bradshaw mountains and the Aqua Fria River, there was a total production of around 50,000 ounces of gold. There are many area mines, especially the Howard mine, and 1 mile below there were some productive placers gold deposits. In all regional watercourse and slope wash gravels in this district you can find placer gold. Along Black Canyon at several places, in gravel deposits, placer gold is reported. Near Turkey, there are some small placers worked annually. Between mouth of Arrastra creek and Cleator and in American and Mexican gulches, there were some productive placers. For 20 miles along Humbug, French, and Cow creeks, you will find the famous Humbug placers. In the upper gravels to 20 feet deep in the Humbug placers you can find flake and flour gold at or near bedrock you can find some very coarse gold.

At Bumblebee, which is north of Black Canyon City, you will find the Bumblebee and Bland Hill mines which were productive lode gold mine. South of Bumblebee you will find the ****** Brown, Blanchiana, and Gillespie mines which were also major lode gold mines. If you go south 3 miles, a gravel bar in Black Canyon Creek, is said to have produced very rich placer ground. If you go east of Bumblebee by 4 miles, on west bank of Aqua Fria Canyon, you will find the Richinbar Mine which produced lode gold and silver.

In the south part of the county at Castle Hot Springs, near upper Castle Creek, you will find the Castle Creek district. The major mines in this district are the Golden Aster, Swallow, Whipsaw, Jones, and Copperopolis, all of which produced lode gold. In the Wickenburg mountains 1 mile north of the Castle Hot Springs road and 10 miles east of Morristown, you will find the Golden Slipper lode gold mine.

North of Cherry 1.5 miles, you will find the Bunker Mine, the Federal and the Leghorn mines, which were all intermittently worked for there lode gold content. If you go West by Northwest of Cherry by 2 miles, you will fin the Gold Bullion Mine which was a lode gold mine with minor copper production. If you go southwest of cherry by 2 miles, you will find the Logan Mine which produced some lode gold.

Near Cleator, west on road. along old railroad grade, in area of several square miles north of Crown King and east of Towers Mountain, you will be in the Pine Grove district, site of the Crown King Group of mines, which were very rich, site of 300 ton flotation mill operated in 1934 for lode gold, silver and minor copper, zinc. Northeast of the Crown King, the Philadelphia Mine and the Nelson Mine (Just east) which were also major lode gold and silver mines. If you go north of Cleator by 2 miles, you will find the Fairview Tunnel at an elevation of 7,200 feet, this is said to be an extension of the Nelson Mine vein, produced a large quantify of lode gold. There are also many other lode gold mines in this area, around 200 or more. South of the Pine Grove district, on the Humbug side of the divide, the Tiger district, on south slopes of Wasson Peak, you will find the Oro Belle and Gray Eagle mines and mill, they were principal producers from 1907-1909 of lode gold, silver, and copper.

East of Congress by a little more than 2 miles, to old mining camp of Stanton, there are many area mines that produce lode gold. The LDMA has there patented property in this area. If you go northwest of Congress by 3 miles, in southeast part of the Date Creek mountains, you will find the Congress Mine which had a total production between 1887-1959, of around 400,000 ounces of lode gold. .5 miles west the Congress Extension produced major lode gold. In northwest several mile, at southwest margin of the Date Creek mountains, the Martinez district, numerous old mines produced lode gold. If you go southeast 4.5 miles, you will find the old camp of Octave, just above camp and on flat topped mountain above adjoining Stanton, the Weaver-Rich Hill district, area mines and placers you can find huge nuggets in surface debris of Rich Hill. Along southwest front of the Weaver mountains, lode mines produced 100’s of thousands of ounces of gold.

At Constellation, which is 15 miles northeast of Wickenburg, you will find the Gold Bar Mine which was a major lode gold producer. Other area mines of the Black Rock district produced some rich lode gold deposits as well. About 4.5 miles north of Wickenburg, the Oro Grande Mine, was a major producer of lode gold. If you go east 7 miles from Constellation, near the head of Amazon Gulch, or 16 miles northeast of Wickenburg, you will find the Groom Mine and 30-ton ball mill. This was a major lode gold producer. Northwest of the Groom Mine, is the Arizona Copper Belt Mining Company Mine, which produced lode gold and copper.

At Cordes, which is north of Phoenix , at Poland Junction, west past power station, take left or lower dirt road, and in stream gravels along road you can find placer gold. If you go southwest of Cordes, to south foothills of the Bradshaw mountains, which is about 45 mile north by northwest of Phoenix, you will find the Tiptop Mine (and district), which was a producer of about 10,000 ounces lode gold, 1875-1959.

Out of Denvey by 16 miles, in south part of the Black Hills on headwaters of Cherry Creek, the Cherry Creek district at east foot of the Black Hills, you will find the Monarch Mine (and several others nearby) that were major lode gold mines. South of the Monarch, the Etta, Gold Ring, and Conger mines also produced some lode gold.

North of Hillside Station by 8.5 miles and about .75 miles of the Santa Maria River, you will find the Mammoth Mine which produced some lode gold deposits. About 13 miles from Hillside Station and 3.5 miles west of the Bagdad Highway, in sections 4 and 9 of township 13N and range 8W, you will find the Crosby Mine which was a major lode gold producer. If you go northwest of Hillside Station by 18 miles, you will find the Eureka placers along Burro Creek, principal producers were in all area gulches, bench gravels you can find placer gold. If you take the Bagdad highway from Hillside Station for about 20 miles, take a road west 1 mile, you will see the Cowboy Mine which produced lode gold, with lead. Out the Kingman on highway 28 miles, then 4.5 mile south to the south part of Grayback Mountain, is the location of Southern Cross Mine, it consisted of shallow workings for lode gold, minor copper. 32 miles from Hillside Station in a deep canyon on east side of Boulder Creel, in sections 16 and 21 of township 12N and range 9W, is the location of the Hillside Mine, this mine has 2 miles of underground of tunnels.

In Jerome, in the Verde district, on east slope of the Black Hills just west of the Verde River, mammoth copper district abandoned around 1950), had a total production of by product gold through 1959 of 1,571,000 ounces.

If you go south by southeast of Kirkland by 9 miles, in Placerita, French, and Cherry gulches, many productive placers that were extensively worked in 1930s can be found. Also at Blind Indian Creek and Mill Creek drainage’s placer gold can be found.

In Peeples Valley to the west along Model Creek, there were some productive placers.

In Poland, at north foot of Big Bug Mesa, accessible from the Black Canyon highway, you can find the Poland-Walker Tunnel, look on dumps for gold. .25 mile west of tunnel and mesa from rd. branching northeast from the Senator highway, about 1/8 mile south of the Hassayampa bridge, is the location of the Money Metals Mine was a productive lode gold mine. West 1 mile and about .5 mile north of Big Bug Creek, the Hennetta Mine and mill produced lode gold, with silver, lead, copper. On the south of mesa, in area of Turkey Creek is The Turkey Creek district which was a noted early day producer of gold and silver. 1 mile north of Pine Flat, the Cumberland Mine and mill was a noted producer. All area watercourse and slope wash gravels of area contain placer gold.

Prescott Arizona was originally settled by placer miners, becoming territorial capital in 1864. In the Columbia district, all area creeks produce placer gold. South along upper reaches and main course of Granite Creek is the location of the Granite Creek placers, which was discovered in the 1860s, South to headwaters of the Hassayampa River, along entire course of river to county line 2 mile north of Wickenburg there are many lode mines and placers along all regional watercourse beds, benches, terraces, and hillsides. If you go east of Prescott by 4 miles and just south of the Dewey road, is the location of the Bullwhacker Mine which produced high grade, coarse gold nuggets. If you go south of Prescott by approximately 5 miles in New England Gulch, which is a tributary of Granite Creek), rich early placers existed here. In all regional creek and watercourse beds, benches, and slope-wash gravels you can find placer gold. If you go south 5 miles, area of upper Groom Creek, the Groom Creek district, you can find many mines, e.g., Midnight Test, Empire, King-Kelly-Monte Cristo, Victor, and Home Run that produced rich lode gold deposits. If you go south 6 miles, on west slope of the Bradshaw mountains, the Hassayampa-Groom district, along the Hassayampa River, many placers that produced thousands of ounce of gold.

At Rock Springs which is 46 miles north of PHOENIX, at Mile Post 246 turnoff to the Maggle Mine and find some rich placer ground.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure what kind of prospecting you are used to but I used to live in prescott an my brother had a claim around cordes junction and I've spent alot of time on lynx. Just remember everything always look good on paper. It took me a while to adjust to the different type of prospecting. I hope you have a job or at least plan on looking for one..Becouse it seems hella silly to uproot to a place that you never even set foot on becouse you read a book or two maybe saw a tv show that say there be gold there!!! I never understood the" GRASS IS GREENER SOMEWHERE ELSE"

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly... I mean Arizona? Yea it has gold, & heat & no water mostly as it is desert. Running a dry washer there can be really fun when it hits 130° & if your not from the area, it can be really dangerous also. There are viruses in the desert that you will not find anywhere else like "Valley Fever" . Look it up. There are plenty of states with great economies and good gold. Right now North Dakota is booming and it has gold. California is basically out of the running with the legislation that somehow continues to be reelected but currently it is surrounded by great states to live in.

OP
OP
B

Barry-Goodknight

Sep 4, 2012
Black Hawk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what kind of prospecting you are used to but I used to live in prescott an my brother had a claim around cordes junction and I've spent alot of time on lynx. Just remember everything always look good on paper. It took me a while to adjust to the different type of prospecting. I hope you have a job or at least plan on looking for one..Becouse it seems hella silly to uproot to a place that you never even set foot on becouse you read a book or two maybe saw a tv show that say there be gold there!!! I never understood the" GRASS IS GREENER SOMEWHERE ELSE"

At work from home for myself, I usually move every year anyway either in state or out of state. I've been in Colorado for two years now so it's about that time anyway :P

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a girlfriend in Arizona once. She told me that Arizona has more boats per capita than Florida did. Took me to a series of lakes and we rented a boat on Apache Lake and putted around. Hell of a lot of water in those rivers and lakes for a desert. But it was barren, hotter than Hades and very unfriendly with creepy crawlers at night. I spent some time there, off and on, loved Scotsdale and the mountain golf courses, found my old friend's sheelite mine(Superstitions), saw the canyon where the LDM is supposed to be(so he said) and had a pretty good time. Played in the snow in Flagstaff, learned from some Apache teens how to find water on the desert(follow birds at sunset or late afternoon, they will be heading for water) Tried it, it worked. Never saw a snake, but did see a lizard on a rock that was about three feet long and scared the crap out of me. Scorpions, black widows, hmmm. Good luck if you go for it. There is gold, but I think most of the gold areas have filed mining claims on them. Maybe you'll get lucky. My friend wouldn't leave Chandler(she taught in Mesa), I wouldn't leave San Antonio. But by all means, give it a try. Just don't expect paradise unless you live in a big city with great stores, restaurants and housing...

Last edited:

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:censored: I love California but after this post now I want to move to Arizona.
Nice try there Terry, now everybody is going to want to move to Arizona.

Last edited by a moderator:

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
what kind of mining are you wanting to do?

Arizona is a beautiful state with a lot to do and see.
i have been mining and detecting all over the Bradshaw's, have been to most all the areas you listed above.
many have been hit hard but there is still good gold to be found, if you hunt for it.
hook up with one of the local gold clubs, road runners is best in my opinion and you can get on some good ground.
as far as Valley Fever goes, yes it is real and very nasty fungus that lives in the dirt. anyone who has lived in the valley for more then a year
has likely had Valley Fever and never even knew it.
here's a link about it.
Coccidioidomycosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
thank god for the summer heat because if it didn't get hot, there would be way to many people living here.
nice weather 8 months of the year.
yes there are rattle snakes, Scorpions, black widows and cactus here, these are the things that help keep the city folks in the city.
i love the solitude of the desert.
as far as Arizona goes, some see the beauty of the desert and some don't.
if you like trees, cooler weather and greenery Prescott lynx area is nice and good for gold too.
I'm 10 miles south of lake pleasant, its a nice area here. i can be in many good gold areas within 20 to 40 minutes of leaving the house.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to leave a perfectly good gold state, then be my guest. The gold is fine here in Colorado, but not like your talking about. I know people in Metro Denver who get at least a gram per trip, and that's right in town by their house. If you use a classifying sluice like a Bazooka Gold Trap, you can maximize your time and shovel right into the sluice and run 3 or 4 times more material than a sluice with Hungarian riffles. Sluicing in Colorado is all about running a lot of material to make that fine gold add up.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..she thinks I will magically develop a hooker and meth addiction..

Arizona - Where the men are men, and the sheep are nervous! We have lots of meth addicted hookers in Yavapai County (some of them are even women), and we gamble at the Legion Post in Yarnell. You have been warned!

Attachments

• TesoroGold.jpg
    TesoroGold.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 325
  • z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 180
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,436

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Having spent a little time there I too would recomend the Prescott area in AZ. If I were to pick up & move for the gold mining hobby that is likely where I would start.
Alaska has a good reputation for gold, but as one who lives here (almost 25 yrs) I can tell you that most road accessible areas that arent park,National Wildlife Refuge, or native land are hit pretty hard. There is recreational prospecting & small scale mining to be had on the road system, but I sure wouldn't move here for it. AZ & some western states probably have more & better.
If you have the money to buy a bush plane & get remote it can be a different story.... Just takes MONEY & time, & the saeson is short (4ish months). Also expensive place to live. I think your GF made a wise call.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread