Is there Possibly Gold in this Quartz?

RockDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new at this, but I recently found some yellowish golden colored quartz. I thought the outside may just be stained so I broke it open, and there's a light golden color all through it. There are no obvious specks or flakes of gold, so I'm thinking it's probably just some sort of staining. But I also read that in gold ore there is often not chunks/specs of gold. Within the very small veins/cracks the Is it possible gold could be so finely dispersed within the quartz that it would have that color, or is that just iron or manganese or something?

There are also small pockets of what looks like a yellow substance mixed with dirt, but is hard and will not break off. It looks more like some of the pictures I've seen of gold ore. This is probably just wishful thinking, but I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Attachments

• Quartz1a.JPG
    Quartz1a.JPG
    548.5 KB · Views: 4,303
  • Quartz4.JPG
    Quartz4.JPG
    573.5 KB · Views: 2,090
  • Quartz5.JPG
    Quartz5.JPG
    485.5 KB · Views: 3,473
Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the quartz you have there is part of a large area of quartz cobbles, or near a vein, go ahead and crush it and maybe ten or so other samples, and pan it.
If its a random rock you picked up, I'd say you've gone far enough, aside from inspecting it with magnifier.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much gonna have to crush and pan like Fullpan said.Species rock with VISIBLE gold can be worth more....rocks that you cant see the gold in not so much until you get it out

OP
OP
R

RockDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both for your replies. I guess what I'm asking is does this look like it may even contain gold, or is that yellow color from some obvious well known mineral source that some of you with a lot of experience recognize right away? Does it even look worth crushing and panning? Can you even pan gold that is divinely dispersed (if that' s what it is)?

Is there a test to see if it is gold?

OP
OP
R

RockDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meant to say "that finely dispersed" in the above post. Not "divinely dispersed". Must have been auto-correct on my wife's kindle. I guess if God wanted it dispersed....

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no spelling or grammatical judges here - if there were, we'd be driving our wives insane with this stuff. Your last post was good for a chuckle though:laughing7: No, I don't recognize the yellow color staining as a distinct mineral - have heard of lemon quartz in rockhound circles, but your specimen doesn't fit. In the end, you
are looking for valuable "deposits" unless you have easily seen visible gold, or a LOT more samples you can crush and pan, you're kinda spinning your wheels.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what the color in your pieces are,they may be iron oxide rust stains which can be a association of gold.Only fella I personally could look at a piece of quartz and tell ya if it had gold in it or not,has been gone now for over 30 years.His name was Ollie O'connor,worked in the mines his entire life.I was just a pup much of the time spent with him unfortuatly!Dave Wiseman is pretty sharp at that too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread