Is this 1966 40% worth having graded?

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 40% half a few weeks ago CRH, and I have never seen a 40% in this good of condition. Especially the luster, the pics don't exactly do it justice, this thing is blinding. When I saw it in the roll I figured 90% proof at first. I'll admit I don't know a ton about coins, but I thought maybe somebody on here could let me know if this thing is worth much over spot?

Attachments

• Obverse1.jpg
    Obverse1.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 730
  • reverse1.jpg
    reverse1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 798
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like SMS(Special mint set) to me, i don't think it's worth being graded.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a similar looking coin last Dec I think. Mine is a '66 as well and has a glossy finish and is probably from a SMS - though my coin isn't quite as nice as yours.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Not worth it, as others have pointed out it was from a special mint set. In 1965-1967, the Mint waged a war against collectors which included the suspension of mintmarks on all coins and the ending of the annual proof set. As a compromise, the mint created "special mint sets" which were better quality than the usual uncirculated mint sets, but nowhere near proof quality. The Mint still uses the same process on some of their uncirculated coin sets to give them a better finish than usual business strike quality coins.

Because it usually comes in a case (cellophane like the older proof sets for 1965 and plastic for 1966 and 1967) there are many available and many in brilliant uncirculated condition. For the price of grading that one you have, you could go out and get an uncirculated set. They are common and don't sell for much more than the scrap value of the 40%er they have in them.

Dekay

Dec 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure is a purdy thing though!

HH Dave

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Gimme a cruddy-looking 40% half, and after I dip it for 20 seconds, it will look as good, or better. Just sayin.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I do agree that it is from a SMS from that year. In my opinion I would grade that coin all day if I felt like it was MS 65 + or better. So if it were me, and I had that coin and thought it was MS, I would take it a coin dealer in my area, and see what they thought. So the point is.... You can check pricing for those on PCGS.com, or NGC.com, redbook and several other places. Then you can take it to a coin dealer or 5, and see what they all say it would grade to determine if its worth grading to you.

So there you go, let me know if you do have it graded, or what the dealers say its worth... Maybe I would make you an offer.

Chris.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread