Is this a Copper Awl ?

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this detecting a few weeks ago. Thought it was a square nail but it rang up on the detector in the copper range not iron. So a few days ago looking at it further I realized it is copper. That's a iron square nail on the right. 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are called sewing needles,not sure where your from but mine was found on a very late 17th early 18th century colonial port site.And one like mine would have been used to sow sails or bags of cargo mabe even fish nets as well.They are kinda rare to find detecting I would say as this is the only one I've found after many hours & years detecting colonial sites.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• DSCN0019.JPG
    DSCN0019.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • DSCN0021.JPG
    DSCN0021.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can see some like them in the pic below which was dug at colonial Jametown VA.
Another from the ship wreck Queen Anne's Revenge (Though sails were obviously a large part of the ship, this one large brass needle represents the only tool associated with sail maintenance recovered.)

Attachments

• 060s[1].jpg
    060s[1].jpg
    25 KB · Views: 86
  • 7938550378_532ec3b76c[1].jpg
    7938550378_532ec3b76c[1].jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have a archaic copper awl. It is in the range of 6-10,000 years old. Nice find!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see why you say maybe a awl as I was only looking at the pic. he posted that looked like a V notch.After looking at the others it don't appear.Now how do you tell a awl from broken colonial copper nails?What's the give away if you will? Besides where he may have found it.Just trying to learn something.

Attachments

• DSCN0023 (2).JPG
    DSCN0023 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • DSCN0024 (2).JPG
    DSCN0024 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 82

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This would be a copper culture awl i came across.
There would not be a V notch in a awl. it can split over time and seem this way. I believe Helix has a copper culture awl from the look of it. It seems irregular in width through out which would be indicative of something hand made. I believe it is more possible that your piece is colonial. If you look close it seems machined, the width does not change.
awl copper.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be bronze as was commonly used in maritime applications.. Something like that may have tacked together a small chest or something... Or even as a perforator

ForumRunner_20141217_091954.png

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator look like you have a few hand made bronze nails/spikes in the back ground.I save all the copper/bronze hand made nails/spikes myself.You won't find nails & such now & days the would last that long.They were prized back then as they would burn structures just to get them back.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always keep them
Heck.. I only find them on good sites

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find copper or copper alloy square nails fairly regularly and I believe Helix merely has a broken copper nail. Also most of the copper nails I find are not colonial, they have been used for centuries in boat building and barrel making.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off thanks for all the info everyone. I found it in northern Il. witch is in range of where most of the copper culture artifacts have been found so I have read. Every year I seem to find bits and pieces of float or drift copper and always figured one of these days I will run across a Copper Complex item. I did read a older post on here about a fellow who found a nice copper culture axe head about 35 miles from my location some years back. Hate to think it but the newbie or uneducated detectorest might have tossed what I have here thinking it was a common square nail with out a thought. :BangHead: Will say that I have saved or keeped about 80% of all my finds through out the years every thing short of pull tabs and bottle caps and can slaw. All finds from each hunt are kept separate and marked where and when they were found. I have hundreds of these separate "piles" from each hunt. Never know what you might have. Hope that sheds some light on my copper awl, nail what ever it might be? 001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an Awl to me.
I also save all my finds in separate bowls out side the back door.
After a good hard winter they clean up pretty well to identify.
I have been saving all the Copper pieces and some are hammered.
I come down to Illinois to visit family a couple times a year.
Maybe we can get together for a hunt some time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread