Is This A Real Cannonball?????

geraldsbargains

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2008
Hi. Can anyone tell me if this is a real cannonball. Found in TN, buried in the ground. It measures 12 1/2" round, 4" across and weighs 9 lbs 3 oz. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Gerald
cannonball.jpg

Upvote 0

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sure looks like the real thing to me! check out some cw artillery websites for dimensions etc, but I bet you've got a real one ;D

OP
OP
G

geraldsbargains

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2008
Wow. Thanks for the info. I didn't know where to begin looking but now I do. Thanks again. Gerald

OP
OP
G

geraldsbargains

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2008
Thank you buckle boy. What an excellent site.

I have found other cannon balls that are just like this one on another site.

Here comes the big question, is it worth anything? Thanks Gerald

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer to your question, Treasure Tales, is this: If the item is only 4 inches across, then it is probably some sort of cannister shot. In that case, it would've had a casting seam most likely. I believe that on that website I gave above, there is a listing of different sizes and weights of cannister and grapeshot. That's where you'll likely find it.

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
G

geraldsbargains

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2008
Treasure Tales, I have checked this ball and there are no seams. There is some pitting I think due to the rust. There is one place about a 50 cent piece that looks like that may have been the place of impact. Do they even get marked up from impact? I have no knowledge about cannonballs but going to look on the site buckleboy recommended. Thanks for all your help and information. Gerald

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a little difficulty finding the shot table in the site above...so here's a link to it.  The measurements and weight of the item are consistent with a 9-pounder solid shot on the chart.

http://www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

Regards,

Buckleboy

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
BuckleBoy said:
The answer to your question, Treasure Tales, is this: If the item is only 4 inches across, then it is probably some sort of cannister shot. In that case, it would've had a casting seam most likely. I believe that on that website I gave above, there is a listing of different sizes and weights of cannister and grapeshot. That's where you'll likely find it.

-Buckleboy

BB ...I think that if it's 4 inches across, its way to big for a canister or grape shot.
But then again no one on here thinks my advice or ID's a much count.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildrider said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckleboy

BB ...I think that if it's 4 inches across, its way to big for a canister or grape shot.

In my last reply above, I indicated that it could be a 9 pounder solid shot--not cannister or grape. It's all good.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
wildrider said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckleboy

In my last reply above, I indicated that it could be a 9 pounder solid shot--not cannister or grape. It's all good.
This is what the other one look's like....Battle of the Monocacy,the litlle dude to right is what we dug out of my brother's round....4" across +/-.....they made them....It's all still good ;)

Attachments

• P1150001.JPG
    P1150001.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 2,437

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
from the same source...Guns and howitzers were usually designated by the year in which a particular model was designed or improved. Thus, a particular weight weapon may have many different model designations.

The Federals produced bronze 6-, 9- (fewer than thirty 9-pounders were produced), and 12-pounders for field use; iron 12-, 18-, and 24-pounders for siege and garrison use; iron 32- and 42-pounders for seacoast defense; and iron 32-, 42-, and 64-pounders for navy use. The Confederates produced iron 6-pounders and bronze (later iron when bronze became scarce) 12-pounders, both for field use.

So if it is a 9 lber, it should be fairly rare and worth alot. My personal opinion <-----only mine... is that it's not a cannonball. If you research and find out what artillary units were in your area and the type of guns hey used....I will concede defeat :P

Lots of weapons used in Tennessee, especially artillery. There are also alot of local experts there that could fill you in. (ie; Middle Tennessee detecting club in Nashville.Meets the first Friday of the month. Lots of experts there.

Good luck and Happy hunting!

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
You all are very cool, when some one needs help with a ID you are there to help.

;D HH DDEII ;)

OP
OP
G

geraldsbargains

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2008
Ok where to begin.
Daaaveman, thank you for your help. How cool would that be to be your grandfathers. Very nice.

Buckleboy thanks for the site. I have checked it out and see that is does agree with weight and size to a solid shot.

Treasure I have looked all over this ball and cannot find a ridge like you pointed out. I see it in the pic but I think it was the way the pic came out.

Wildrider, what would be the best way to find out if it is this bronze 9 lber that you have described.

Now, does anyone know anything about impact. If this is a cannonball, could it have the size of a 50 cent piece to a silver dollar size flat area?

Sure, I would be more than willing to sell it once I find out more about it. Thanks everyone.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
What I believe you have is an steel ball from an ore mill. The are called ore mill balls and come in different sizes. I see people selling these on ebay all of the time as cannonballs and many of them claim to be from the area from where I am from central Kentucky "Perryville" to be exact or from a boxcar found at "??? Crossroads" in Tennessee.

And last but not least...the bronze 9 pounder would be the cannon, NOT the ball.

OP
OP
G

geraldsbargains

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2008
Wildrider, glad you know, I had no idea the 9 lber was a cannon

I found this about 15 miles from the Alabama border. Central Tn. On the river bank.

I did ask above, here is what I asked.

There is some pitting I think due to the rust. There is one place about a 50 cent piece that looks like that may have been the place of impact. Do they even get marked up from impact?

What does this flat mark represent? Is it from an impact or does this steel ball have a flat area?

Deffinetly no seam. Will try and take another picture tomorrow in the light. I would like to now if I have a piece of history here and what it would be worth?

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
I dont know anything about civil war howitzers though I do have an observation and a question. I noticed that the picture of the artillery shell at the bottom has a fuze cavity, whereas the other metal ball does not. I would guess that, even as early as the civil war, most artillery shells would have been designed to explode and spread shrapnel. I dont think that a solid shot would be very effective against a mass of men (except for the one, two, or three unlucky guys that got hit by the thing). I would guess that most of the smaller "field" or portable artillery would fire such projectiles. I guess there could also be solid shot for attacking fortifications. I'm sure that there is some experts out there that know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread