Is This A Real Cannonball?????

geraldsbargains

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2008
Hi. Can anyone tell me if this is a real cannonball. Found in TN, buried in the ground. It measures 12 1/2" round, 4" across and weighs 9 lbs 3 oz. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Gerald
cannonball.jpg

Upvote 0

donny nj

Jan 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking Good Mon!!!

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
rebelLT said:
I dont know anything about civil war howitzers though I do have an observation and a question. I noticed that the picture of the artillery shell at the bottom has a fuze cavity, whereas the other metal ball does not. I would guess that, even as early as the civil war, most artillery shells would have been designed to explode and spread shrapnel. I dont think that a solid shot would be very effective against a mass of men (except for the one, two, or three unlucky guys that got hit by the thing). I would guess that most of the smaller "field" or portable artillery would fire such projectiles. I guess there could also be solid shot for attacking fortifications. I'm sure that there is some experts out there that know.

"Shots/bolts" were usually solid and "shells" were filled with explosives including small shot and shrapnel.

Solid shots weren't genererally used against infantry. They were used to knock holes in things (structures and storage yards filled with wagons, cannons, ambulances, etc).

Shells were more destructive against living things or in woods.

Flat spots aren't dents and aren't sealed fuse plugs...that would be counter productive.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could we see a photo of the flat spot?

OP
OP
G

geraldsbargains

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2008
Sure, I planned on posting another picture today.

I just want to thank all who have answered, it is so nice to know that all this help is available. Gerald

OP
OP
G

geraldsbargains

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2008
Here are 2 more pictures.

cannonball2.jpg

and here is the one with the flat part.

cannonball3.jpg

Again, I just want to say thank you to all of you for all the information that you have shared. Gerald

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread