Is this a real gemstone?

LOTR1993

Aug 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends :)

My boyfriend bought me this promise ring. He told me he got it special from Russia, he had a favor from a friend.

I am too embarrassed and don't want to be rude and ask him, but I was wondering if this stone in the ring is a real gemstone?

It doesn't actually matter, relationship-wise. I am just so curious about it and want to know lol :P.

Let me know what you all think!

promisering.JPG promisering.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is technically a gemstone as it's use is as a gem. Now what kind is a different animal. It could LIKELY be one of two items, topaz or cubic zirconia. Both are reasonably priced and are commonly used in jewelry. An outside possibility is aquamarine, but the color is somewhat off for that material. The only way to tell for sure is to take it to a jeweler.

It's a very nice ring!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LOTR1993

Aug 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is technically a gemstone as it's use is as a gem. Now what kind is a different animal. It could LIKELY be one of two items, topaz or cubic zirconia. Both are reasonably priced and are commonly used in jewelry. An outside possibility is aquamarine, but the color is somewhat off for that material. The only way to tell for sure is to take it to a jeweler.

It's a very nice ring!

Thank you for your response! I was mostly wondering if it was like plastic or glass, or a real gemstone. I guess they only true way to find out would be to ask a jeweler, like you said. I appreciate your response :)

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard LOTR1993!
metal_detector.gif
2nd - I agree with smokeythecat - next time you are out shopping - swing by a jeweler. Please let us know what you find out.

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi. Pretty ring.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a nice looking ring. The settings the stones are in look decent. I would bet they are something better than glass. Definitely not plastic. Let us know when you find out.

Upvote 0

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's probably a blue topaz. It's not a terribly expensive gemstone, but it's very beautiful!

It's definitely not glass.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you know what you're doing you can remove the stone from the setting and do a specific gravity test which *might* give a decent indication of what it is. But only if you know what you're doing ;)

Otherwise take it to a gemologist. They can probably tell you within seconds what it is. Iding faceted material from a photo is pretty much impossible

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you REALLY want to find out what it is worth?? You might start something with your beau that will mushroom into something that gets out of hand. Do it secretly. Don’t embarrass him. TTC

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could just be the photo but the large stone looks a little rough. If it is an older ring and from Russia it will have a sickle and hammer stamped inside.

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks real enough to me and is a really pretty ring. When I metal detect and find a ring with stones, my first indicator of quality is usually the metal in the ring itself. Usually the stones are good if the ring is stamped more than 10K gold or platinum. That said, I have also found rings with an inaccurate stamp or where one or more of the stones were replaced with junk. Probably, not the fault of the buyer/owner, but they got scammed. Heck, my sister had someone clean her diamond ring and she got back replaced stones. By the time it was discovered, it was too late to challenge anybody. In my humble opinion, your ring was bought with love. If it were me, I would probably just enjoy it and the thought behind it, unless you are thinking about getting an appraisal for insurance purposes.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just enjoy the gift for what it is. If you really must know, go to a gemologist. Speculation for the sake of speculation is useless in this situation. (and any guess is just speculation, at best)

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks real enough to me and is a really pretty ring. When I metal detect and find a ring with stones, my first indicator of quality is usually the metal in the ring itself. Usually the stones are good if the ring is stamped more than 10K gold or platinum. That said, I have also found rings with an inaccurate stamp or where one or more of the stones were replaced with junk. Probably, not the fault of the buyer/owner, but they got scammed. Heck, my sister had someone clean her diamond ring and she got back replaced stones. By the time it was discovered, it was too late to challenge anybody. In my humble opinion, your ring was bought with love. If it were me, I would probably just enjoy it and the thought behind it, unless you are thinking about getting an appraisal for insurance purposes.
Your post dictates the reason good quality jewelry MUST have detailed pictures taken for id purposes. ╦╦Ç

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread