Some odd crystals I just can't figure out.

Aug 28, 2018
I rather not say
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180828_210032.jpg

I've been tyring to figure out what these are for the longest time but I just can't seem to crack the case. Sorry for the bad picture my camera is not very good.

The first one on the left is solid smooth black with veins of blue quartz looking rock running through out it my best guest is some short of marble. the middle one is a smooth gray stone with bits of iron in it and as you can see on the top we have smooth white stone and shards of black stone sticking out. the final one is the one that puzzles me the most it's color is somewhere between aquamarine and sapphire and has what looks to be veins of red rust garnet running through out it my best guest for it is a light sapphire or blue quartz with rust garnet but i really can't tell. all these came from North Carolina.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard SomeRockCollector! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really can not tell with the picture. The descriptions were interesting and the locality you collected them from. Hardness tests and better pictures in natural light with higher definition are going to be needed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Aug 28, 2018
I rather not say
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_6138.jpg IMG_6142.jpg IMG_6143.jpg IMG_6144.jpg IMG_6145.jpg

Better pictures! the blue and red mystery stone is very hard the red part seems to be about 6-7 and the solid blue parts seem to be 8-9, The black white and grey stone is about a 7-8 on the top but they grey underside is only about a 4-5, The black and blue stone is a bit softer at about 6-7 for the black areas and 5 for the blue veins. After even more research into this today I still can't figure out what any of these are.

Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
There is a thread "Got a rock you want identified?" Try a post on it. Several people can help you there. Good luck.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much better pictures, thanks :) And thanks for the hardness estimates. Your blue and red stone appears to be a mix of Aquamarine and quartz, the red. Your black and white, the black looks to be smokey quartz and the white is a bit of a guess but maybe a calcite though it looks more like a chalcedony in the picture however its hardness is to low. The black and blue looks like it is also smokey quartz but the blue 'marbling' is sodalite.
My opinion and its some nice stuff. Considering the locality in NC these stones are present there.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the final pic is definitely sodalite. No idea on the middle one, I think DD is right about smokey. The first two pics are blue apatite.

Your hardness estimates are waayyyy off by the way...how did you test them? However you tested them needs to be re-evaluated ;-)

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job dDancer & stdenis! You get a like from me. ;-)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread