✅ SOLVED Is This A Real Meteorite?

Tetranum

Nov 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, i'm new here and would like to ask for some help. There are some online sellers selling these meteorite pendants, can someone say if they are real or fake? I know that you can't say for sure wthout some equipment, nontheles, maybe there is something about them that screams fake and I don't see it.
s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600.jpg
The description says they are "seymchan Widmanstatten pattern"
Also if this is not the right place for this question, I kindly ask an admin to move it accordingly, thank you.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Meteorites are tough to ID from pictures alone.

I did a quick search on "fake meteorite pendants" and found web sites right away that talk about fake ones out there.

Most pages simply said to check out the seller and get a written, money-back guarantee and you'll be fine.

They also said that some of the jewelry is easy to fake...

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Widmanstätten pattern is the crystalline structure. Seymchan is a specific place in Russia where a meteorite was found in 1967.

So, presumably, the piece in question came from that specific meteorite? The largest pieces were turned over to the USSR Academy of Arts and Sciences. So maybe their gift shop sliced it up for jewelry?

Meteoritical Bulletin: Entry for Seymchan

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FAKE. The dealer is based in China - Nuff said.:skullflag:

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this one in my hand is a real meteorite and it would really hurt if I dropped it on my foot. I'm think'n the Solo-Man could be correct on this item

Attachments

• meterorite.jpg
    meterorite.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 0

The Viking

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2015
Minneapolis, Mn.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much are they asking? I would think that if real it would be on the expensive side. I also do not like the chain that they are showing it with, that would be like a dog tag chain. If cheap enough I would buy it because it looks kinda cool, I would go into it thinking it was fake though and not want to pay much...

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know basically nothing about meteorites.... but these look like someone forge welded a bunch of little iron scraps together and then acid etched them...

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know basically nothing about meteorites.... but these look like someone forge welded a bunch of little iron scraps together and then acid etched them...

Maybe you should look up images of "meteorite cross sections"

To the OP, you should look up other examples of cross sections of the specific meteorite it is claimed to be and just see how they compare.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tetranum

Nov 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My thoughts exactly, they are always sold as an auction with only a few with the buy it now option which cost 100$ but nobody buys them, the seller sells them every day and its suspicious that he has so many, it's as if he makes them, they go for about 10-20$ each.

It would be nice if a blacksmith could confirm that it is possible to replicate this pattern with existing equipment.

this is a real meteorite with this pattern
14961451761_3391169952_b.jpg
and this is another item from this vendor
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread