Is this Amathyst?

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Please good people, what can you tell me from pics?
Any value, other than it is nice to look at?
Wifes' favorite color, anybody able to cut this for jewelry?

dsc00386n.jpg

dsc00388yhl.jpg

dsc00390eaf.jpg

dsc00392b.jpg

Thanks for the info, your time, and consideration.
BW

C

Cappy Z.

Yes it is Amethyst. And a very nice crystal from what I can see. I want to thank you for posting here as I have been climbing an uphill battle to create more interest and dialogue.

The value may well be what it means to your woman's heart. It is in fact a rather common quartz.

But, it looks like a beautiful crystal.

HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Thanks, Billybud007.

You are correct Sir, beauty being in the eye of the beholder.

It is a pleasure to post here. I will certainly post further, as I always look for rocks of some kind or another. My problem is knowledge at this time, but that is happening as we communicate.

luck to you,
BW

Upvote 0

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Bravowhisky;
The simpliest way to ascertain if the mineral in question is fluorite or not would be to attempt to scratch it's surface with a shard of common manufactured glass, such as a piece of broken window glass. A common pocket knife blade may also is be used in a pinch if broken window pane glass does not happen to be handy. Fluorite exhibits a steady 4 on the Mohs hardness scale, window glass and pocket knife blades are typically 5.5 and amythest, which is a variety of quartz, a 7.0 on the scale.

If the glass is able to scratch the mineral, the mineral in question will most likely be fluorite, and if the mineral can scratch the glass, then you most likely have amythest. I hope this helps.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
You could 'cage' it and make it a pendant; if you don't want to cut + facet it.
just a thought :)

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

Ashleen said:
You could 'cage' it and make it a pendant; if you don't want to cut + facet it.
just a thought :)

Ashleen has a great idea. Shop around for the 'cage' of your liking. I can picture how stunning this gemstone would be in a new metallic home. Beautiful.

Good Luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Thanks for all the good words folks. Window glass won't scratch it, so I guess Amathyst it is.
I never thought about caging it. Forgive my ignorance, would that be simply a metal frame to enclose it? Caging that is?

BW

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

bravowhiskey said:
Thanks for all the good words folks. Window glass won't scratch it, so I guess Amathyst it is.
I never thought about caging it. Forgive my ignorance, would that be simply a metal frame to enclose it? Caging that is?

BW

Forgive my ignorance(bravowhiskey)

Are you kidding? I didn't know jack about Gemstones until I picked up a good book and my wife said.."That is beautiful.." Then I became an instant professional!

Nice nice nice crystal!

Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
bravowhiskey said:
would that be simply a metal frame to enclose it? Caging that is?

Bravo,

You can buy ready made cages at jewelry supply sites. They are hard to find.; tho. So my advice is if you find some, buy a lot!
I have some, if you want a couple to try.

This pic is of a herkimer diamond we dug in '05 at the mine in NY, and an amythest I found on a beach in Nova Scotia '06. I caged them together in a ready made cage...

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Or....
Get out you needle nose pliers, about 30 inches of 20-21 gauge half hard wire and do it yourself.
Practice with cheap brass or copper wire , until you get the hang of it; then do it up in silver or gold filled wire...

Attachments

• wrapcage.jpg
    wrapcage.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 260
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Ashleen,

Thanks for a great suggestion. I never would have thought about that.
Sometimes I'm all thumbs, think I'll let a pro tackle the job.

HH,
BW

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

Ashleen said:
Or....
Get out you needle nose pliers, about 30 inches of 20-21 gauge half hard wire and do it yourself.
Practice with cheap brass or copper wire , until you get the hang of it; then do it up in silver or gold filled wire...

Thanks for the great info and photos Ashleen.
:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
BillyBudd007 said:

I have the complete step by step directions on the wire wrapping cage. It is a pdf file, tho; so I can't post it here, or send it in a pm.
I could attach it to a regular email if you want. I'd need your email addres, tho.
Actually, I have quite a few different things in pdf (you need acrobat reader in your puter) if you're inerested.

Be well :)

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

Ashleen said:
BillyBudd007 said:

I have the complete step by step directions on the wire wrapping cage. It is a pdf file, tho; so I can't post it here, or send it in a pm.
I could attach it to a regular email if you want. I'd need your email addres, tho.
Actually, I have quite a few different things in pdf (you need acrobat reader in your puter) if you're inerested.

Be well :)

My email is posted here. Please send.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread