rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out yesterday and found this tree on a side of a wooded hill. The tree is actually growing on top of a large rock with a branch or something stuck in the roots that looks like it has been there for a long time. The tree has actually grown around everything. There isnt many large rocks out in this area so I found it strange. I havent swung the coil yet but was wondering if anyone has seen something like this before or if you think it is just natural. Please tell me what you think good or bad. Thanks, rock

Attachments

• 100_3654.JPG
    100_3654.JPG
    661.4 KB · Views: 131

poorfarm1

Greenie
Dec 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could it be an old fence post that the tree grew around
or a fork in tree that died off

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think a fence post. But I just got done doing a top view of the area and found these 2 interesting pics. I had to print and then take a pic of the print and it is from 2008. Now 2013 it is all grown over with bushes. The first pic is rite around the corner from that tree pic and the other one that looks like a spring is probably a half mile away.

Attachments

• 100_3678.JPG
    100_3678.JPG
    339.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 100_3683.JPG
    100_3683.JPG
    413.9 KB · Views: 104

poorfarm1

Greenie
Dec 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember all travelers had to keep a water source close explore the area a little more never know whats around the bend

the rock appears to have 2 closed eyes a few more pics of rock a little closer
brush off moss to see if anything under it

Last edited:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One possibility is that the rock is one corner of a triangle. Check along the main compass points as well as the quartering points for more stones the same approximate size as this one. You can start by closely checking out what surface area you can see of this rock for any numbers and / or sight lines.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the one pile of rocks was interesting kinda in a point. There is a creek next to it. Ill have to wait till winter cause that pile of rocks is now covered with brush and allot of it. That creek runs all along the same direction as the rocks. There is no other pile of rocks like that for miles. Actually I have never seen a pile like it any place in this area. Its in North Ga by the way.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try using that root-bound rock as a point of reference and that rock pile as a second point, then go from there to look for a possible third corner. If there is a third point, it should be somewhere ON a 270 degree arc from both of the other two points. That sounds like a lot of area, I know, but try using the distance between THESE two points as a base distance. Just use basic plane geometry and strike an arc from each of these two points, using the distance between them, and check the spots where they cross. That will give you two intersection points.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill have to check and see if there is another pile on the other side of the creek. I know there isnt on the same side unless it is up the hill behind the 2 piles of rocks in the woods.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I just took more pics. Ill post a pic of the creek also as close to the middle spot I could get. I believe where the lines cross is a deep hole in the creek the creek pic is this week. where I havent been able to get yet cause we have had so much rain. I see a natural lake in the distance that lake shows all the way back to 92 and hasnt changed at all even in the dry seasons.

Attachments

• 100_3691.JPG
    100_3691.JPG
    520.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_3693.JPG
    100_3693.JPG
    471.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_3594.JPG
    100_3594.JPG
    729 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember all travelers had to keep a water source close explore the area a little more never know whats around the bend

the rock appears to have 2 closed eyes a few more pics of rock a little closer
brush off moss to see if anything under it

I actually see what you are talking about. I never even noticed it before. This area has had allot of Indian activity and the Spanish was in the area and did trade with the Indians.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
could the rock just be field rock that a farmer piled up ?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Just my two cents! Since the tree on the left in the original picture is of a Cedar Tree (I believe), I doubt that it is old enough to have any inference with something that was hidden 150 to 300 or more years ago. Cedar trees grow very fast in their' younger years of life in good soil, then slow down as they somewhat depleat the soil of vital nutrients. I have one on my' property which was and still is in the property line and was once used to hold fencing to keep cattle in. It is much larger than the one in the picture but it is probably less than 100 years old. It also had some old long dead trees that once grew out of crevices in the roots or trunk but they are long gone, having finally rotted away. I am not saying that the rock might not hold a message, just that the Cedar tree and the old dead snag sticking out of it, hold no significance to any possible message!

Frank

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess I will have to learn trees now, lol. It might be a cedar tree I know the bark looks strange on it. Ill have to check the rock next time Im out there. I thought it strange how the tree just grew all around the rock even at the base of the tree is a rock between the roots. Just this yr I have learned the different types of rocks in that area and now I guess it will be trees. I havent really looked in the woods behind that rock pile but will do that next week. In some of the old pics of the pile it looks almost like a cave was on the side of the hill behind the rocks.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could the rock just be field rock that a farmer piled up ?

The next time I go I will ask the farmer if it is natural or if it was done due to farming the land. I know there isnt any other rock piles like it any place out there that I have seen. The rocks look quite big.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I guess I will have to learn trees now, lol. It might be a cedar tree I know the bark looks strange on it. Ill have to check the rock next time Im out there. I thought it strange how the tree just grew all around the rock even at the base of the tree is a rock between the roots. Just this yr I have learned the different types of rocks in that area and now I guess it will be trees. I havent really looked in the woods behind that rock pile but will do that next week. In some of the old pics of the pile it looks almost like a cave was on the side of the hill behind the rocks.

Sorry to say but after looking at the pic zoomed in, you can see that the Cedar tree just grew up in a crack of a larger exposed rock shelf. The rock in question was gradually separated from the rock shelf as the Cedar tree and it's roots grew. We see this happen around here all of the time. However, I have seen many trees with rocks at their' base, that were intentionally placed there but more often than not, these were placed there by hunters to accomodate a good spot to sit while hunting.

Frank

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I was out yesterday and found this tree on a side of a wooded hill. The tree is actually growing on top of a large rock with a branch or something stuck in the roots that looks like it has been there for a long time. The tree has actually grown around everything. There isnt many large rocks out in this area so I found it strange. I havent swung the coil yet but was wondering if anyone has seen something like this before or if you think it is just natural. Please tell me what you think good or bad. Thanks, rock

If the tree and rocks are still there, take closer pics of all angles of the tree , stick, rocks and surrounding trees. I believe you will see some signs come out and it looks like a good starting place. I don't believe you have enough to contract with the property owner with at this point. More figuring and cypherin to do to see what evolves.

Last edited:

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Let me add, I think your tree and rock area speak of up to 3 caches. Check out the hole in the tree next to it to start.
I get no sense of who made the caches. There may be one in cave and one buried under the ground or covered with a flat rock anyway.
If you go back just take a lot more pictures than you think would ever be useful and from angles where there is not a durn thing to see..but do it anyway. lol. The rock at base of tree, the ledges behind, the "stick" especially toward the top. The left base of the cedar tree and the obscured bare spot on the cedar toward the right side.
closer pics will determine if what i see is imagination or perhaps has some validity. While you are out there yes..swing the old md. If you find buried metal pieces do not move them but take degree readings off of them.

Best of luck!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
desertmoons,

Not to be a naysayer but have you clicked on the pic, then clicked on the larger pic to bring up a full screen shot of the tree and rock? If not, please do so and I believe that you will see that the Cedar Tree merely grew up in a crack of a rock shelf layer on the surface and at one time, had another tree growing out it's trunk/root area but that tree has long since been dead, probably strangled off by the roots of the Cedar Tree. I could be wrong but I don't believe that there are any signs there to be read!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the tree and rocks are still there, take closer pics of all angles of the tree , stick, rocks and surrounding trees. I believe you will see some signs come out and it looks like a good starting place. I don't believe you have enough to contract with the property owner with at this point. More figuring and cypherin to do to see what evolves.

I have permission to be on this property by the owner. He doesnt care what I do as long as I dont disturb his crops. I can walk around the fields edges but cant go inside of the crops. The rocks are on the edges so it is all good.
I thank everyone for all of the comments on the pics I have posted. It wont be over night for me I can only go out there maybe 1 time a week but will go back as soon as I can. I have to call before I go and when I leave so I will ask the farmer about the rock pile the next time I call him. If you have anymore thoughts for me please let me know. There is a old rumor of the lost Indian gold and I have read online they believe it is in the area buried by the Indians and has never been found. Thanks, rock

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep a blue cedar that grew over the rock dropped its berries and another tree started and then died .See it often in cedar groves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread