Is this Morgan Dollar fake/too good to be true?

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I stumbled upon this ad on craigslist, and I can not for the life of me find any information on the "ANCS" coin grading service. There is an ANACS, is that the same thing? Wouldn't this coin fetch a couple hundred at least? $70 seems kind of inexpensive for such a high grade if it's legit. Thanks in advance.

morgan.jpg

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
The economy has been great for buyers and rough for sellers. Better to get $70 than have it not sell. Don't think you can eat that dollar, but $70 buys a lot of food. Just my opinion...

OP
OP
crhstreetwalker

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking about buying it, but my question was does it look legit or not? I can't find any information on "ANCS."

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't you get a refund on ebay if it's fake? Why not send the guy a message on ebay, find out what "ANCS" is and go from there?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it was "graded" by a fake (or fly by night) company, it stands to reason. I would be leary of it. Only way i'd buy it is to bust it out of the case first and give it a thorough inspection. The price isn't unusually low, especially since you can't really trust the grade. I'm sure if it is real, the grade is much lower than MS66. Here is a PCGS MS64 that recently sold for $57- 1921- P PCGS MS64 MORGAN DOLLAR "BLAST WHITE" NICE COIN ! NO RESERVE ! | eBay

and here is one just like yours that sold for $56- 1921-P MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR MS/BU GEM US COIN RARE | eBay

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Look at the date compared to the rest of the details. Looks mushy to me. Very hard to tell from the pic but if it is genuine, it is nowhere near MS-66. Even from that lousy pic, I can see a few hits. Lower MS grade, possibly even a slider (AU+). I wouldn't pay more than melt for that coin, if genuine.

Rigo

Sep 24, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd saty for away for many reasons. Where the coin is been sold, the "self made" slab, the quality of the picture and the coin looks like fake silver. Just my opinion.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful, there are lots of counterfeits out there. I won't buy Morgans online for that reason.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seller says he would be willing to trade for junk silver coins. Could he be trying to trade a fake Morgan for silver that actually has value? Hmmm...

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is most likely genuine, 1921 is the most common Morgan. Self slabbers seldom slab anything as less than ms66, most likely only AU and probably cleaned, melt value.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Not one of the top 4.. probably a custom label. Just like PGCS and PCS.. all not the top 4.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread