Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm preplanning for my fall detecting spots and thought I would run this one by you folks.
As some of you know, I've been detecting a plantation house for a few years now and have, along with a few other TN members, recovered quite a few nice relics and coins from the place.
The best coins so far have been a 1782 Irish halfpenny (NCJoe), Spanish silver 1/2 reale (Mirage), 1833 Half dime (me), 1917 SLQ (me), plus more.
Shermans troops camped on this property during the CW too, so I've dug many CW bullets, buttons (CW & Colonial), and relics here.
There are two horse pastures that have become overgrown with weeds (some 4' tall :'( ) since the horse owner was renting & took his horses elsewhere. What used to be nice easy to dig detecting areas are now impossible to detect. Since this is for my own enjoyment, and the owners are super people that never ask for any of my finds, I was thinking about paying to have these two pastures replowed in hopes of turning up more coins & relics. I would pick up the tab at no cost to the owners. The owners don't have the equipment to plow the pastures, so I'm getting quotes now. One pasture is about an acre and the other is about two I'm guessing. I talked to an old guy today down the road that used to keep cows there, and he said he would charge me about $100 to plow it up, which seemed fairly cheap to me. ???
He has a plow attachment with about 8-10 long spiked blades that face straight down, not a disc type plow. Sorry I'm not a farmer, so I don't know the official plow type. ;D

Questions:
1) Would you yourself spend the $100 for a chance to dig more CW relics, coins, and other relics?

2) FARMERS - Any idea if this is a good price? The guy with the plow is only 1/2 mile away.

I know $100 is a nice chunk of change, but for the enjoyment I would be getting, and the chance to find old coins & CW relics, it's tough to pass up.

Here's a look at how the field was last December so you can imagine the weeds now. :tongue3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Z6AbdiOdA

Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
MM

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Yes, deffinately!!

What an opportunity :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Yes, deffinately!!

What an opportunity :icon_thumleft:

That's what I want to hear. ;D
My thinking is, not only the enjoyment of being able to "restart" over in the same pastures, but there could be coins & relics easily worth the $100 invested.
Thanks Shaun.
Cheers,
MM

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watercolor said:
Sounds like a VERY good price :thumbsup:

Sounded cheap to me too with the price of gas today.
-MM-

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it feasible to re-rent the pasture out and then give the money to the owners? It would probably be appreciated and still accomplish your goal. The problems I see from my geographical location are 1) will you be able to detect with the livestock in pasture, and 2) will it be eaten down before winter sets in.

fccdfed

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FCCDFEd said:
Is it feasible to re-rent the pasture out and then give the money to the owners? It would probably be appreciated and still accomplish your goal. The problems I see from my geographical location are 1) will you be able to detect with the livestock in pasture, and 2) will it be eaten down before winter sets in.

fccdfed

There is no livestock there anymore unfortunately. They had once talked of puting a garden in the small pasture area.
-MM-

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
With the prices out there one good button would pay for the plough!

How much stuff is there just that little bit deeper :icon_thumleft:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I don't know if it's a fair price or not but if I were in your shoes $100 would be pretty cheap for the oppurtunity to dig there. I wish there were civil war campsites close enough to me to hunt them. If you are OK with paying the $100 I say go for it :thumbsup:

HH Charlie

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$100 is VERY cheap! It is going to take a while to plow up 3 acres, if it's done thoroughly, so you have the labor and the equipment you're paying for. If you have found stuff in the past, this plowing should bring even more closer to the surface. I'd do it for sure!!

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Just a suggestion why dont you buy some cows or a bull and let him roam the paddocks, at the end you get low grass and a taste feed. win win if you ask me. then again i dont know what a beast would cost in america. If it was affordable to do so maybe you could share the beast(s) with the owner so you dont ahve to pay for grazing if you get along with these people real well.

Just an idea

Sasnz

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I was told by a fellow member that the old guys style of plow attachment would only break up the top. I was told it needs to be gone over with a bush hog first and then a disc type plow used to turn over the soil. More work of course, but I'm willing to pay more if needed, as long as it going to be an arm & a leg. If not, I'll just have to live with the bush hog treatment, and hope I missed some relics in the past. ;D
Too bad the Amish don't live closer. :wink:
Thanks,
MM

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, go for it. The old farmer is using his time and equipment and the price may be worth it for more enjoyment even if you don't find a darn thing.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Sure, go for it. The old farmer is using his time and equipment and the price may be worth it for more enjoyment even if you don't find a darn thing.

I agree Sandman.
The opportunity to detect these kinds of places are getting harder & harder to find as we all know.
When I'm over at that old Colonial house I can just imagine the Colonial days and CW troops camped there. Very cool indeed. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-

UncleVinnys said:
Good idea!
Good planning.
Only thing I'd offer is a really nice THANK YOU to the owner,
maybe even a bottle of Jack Daniels or something. :thumbsup:

Thanks UV.
I've been very appreciative and greatful of the chance I've been given. I've made them a nice relic shadow box and given them gift baskets and wine so far. Also let them use my truck one day to haul branches away. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Dug Buddy,

You bet it would be worth your $100 bill. Since plowing brings up stuff that is out of reach, your pasture would now become a virgin-like field once again.

Kirk, Chris, and I asked a farmer to plow our 25 copper field last year. Since it is no-till now, he said it would ruin their progess. I told my buddy, Derek752, in an e-mail last Sunday, "Every time I walk in that field before I sweep, I shake my head in disgust." I do so because I know it will probably never get plowed again and we know there are 15-20 more coppers and relics underneath all of the iron. I was digging square nails at 9 inches last Saturday.

Also, we know for a fact that our 28 copper field would yield over 45 total coins if it were plowed. :help: However, it, too, is all no-till now. :help:

Buddy Dug, I'd give that feller $100 without even thinking. You are going to get more from the area!

Go for it, buddy! Go for it with the passion that I know you always have!

Bring a hot apple pie with you, knock on the owners' door and say, "Sir and Ma'am, I have Mr. Johnson with me and he is going to plow your horse pasture for me and he is going to plow it for me even if it lands me a night in jail. :D I hope this hot apple pie will do the trick." :D :D I hope they give you the A-OK! :headbang:

Sir Kyle

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Is the price to bush hog ( cut the grass down) the same as plowing it, or cheaper???

Get the grass cut down and search it.

If some good items are found, then ----consider springing for a disc type plow(with the owners permission of course) to overturn a decent depth of dirt, so that those items you couldn't get to that were too deep, would be closer to the top.It might be a gamble but considering the items found there already, chances are there could be some deeper targets.
Plus if the landowner plants a garden in some of the area, later on.... it already would be plowed and ready for him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread