Problems with Whites

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
I bought a Whites Classic 5ID in January; admittedly not their top-of-the-line. After about 20 hours of light use, the coil went intermittent on me. After I got it back I used it a couple of hours, then stored it a few months while I learned the intricacies of the ACE250.
Yesterday my afternoon was blown to smithereens because I made the mistake of bringing only the Whites to a park. Of course it seemed to work before I loaded it in my van; at the park it just made sputtering noises and the display jumped around, no matter where the coil was pointed. Batteries are OK (BTW--I'm an electronic tech).
Has anyone else had this kind of bad luck with Whites?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could of been the soil where you was detecting. Take it outside and try it in your yard and see if it still dose it.......Matt

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mlayers said:
It could of been the soil where you was detecting. Take it outside and try it in your yard and see if it still dose it.......Matt
I agree with Mat. I'v had some detecters act like that in different soils.Take the batteres out , (to discharge the memeory) put them back in and try in a patch of known clean soil. Some detectors can be reset by one of the buttons being held in .

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
is your machine new? if so, it is under warranty.... they will repair for free.... if it isnt under warranty still, you can send it in and have them look at it.. they will give you an estimate before they do the work..... White's is the best company out there for customer service.... also try.. blowing dust out of the battery compartment.... unhook coil.. blow it all out..... that all may help also

Randy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all else fails, remember you can send it back to Whites. In the mean time you should try the detector in other areas to eliminate any electrical interference like cell phone towers, your own cell phone, over head wires and the such. Unplug the coil cable and replug it making sure the pins are not damaged. If you got a good deal on it through Craigslist, you got what you paid for. Good luck with getting it working.

OP
OP
J

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
I guess I wasn't clear about the malfunction at the park; the display was jumping around and nothing but a sputtering noise was produced, no matter where the coil was (even in the air). It did this even when I was near metal. Yes, I checked the batteries, but even weak batteries wouldn't cause this kind of problem.
My point is, with less than 25 hours on a new machine, it needs to be serviced TWICE! This is not acceptable in my book.

Rd2nowr

Jan 2, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, IDX Pro, Sunray XL-1 Probe
If you got this detector from Kellyco, that's who I would send it to. Whites built these detectors for kellyco, hence the unavailable coil selection for this model. I don't know a whole lot about the Classic5 ID, but I do know I'll put my IDX Pro up against any of them. The Classic5 looks alot like the IDXPro, but uses some off-the-wall Freq. on the coil. It could possibly be a bad coil. Hope you get this problem solved. Tim

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you purchased the detector new, it is under warranty and would need to go to an authorized White's service center. Kellyco does not do repairs, we just don't have the facilities for it.
If you'd like to PM me a phone number, I can have one of our staff give you a call and talk to you about what the machine is doing, to determine the nature of the problem and if the machine needs servicing.
Let me know if I can help.
Ms. Blaze

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could still be electrical interference from something in the area and or under ground. I would try it in another location, if problem is still there send it to Whites, don't let it sit with a problem while your warranty is running.

Good luck and good hunting.......

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
minton7 said:
is your machine new? if so, it is under warranty.... they will repair for free.... if it isnt under warranty still, you can send it in and have them look at it.. they will give you an estimate before they do the work..... White's is the best company out there for customer service.... also try.. blowing dust out of the battery compartment.... unhook coil.. blow it all out..... that all may help also

Randy

Yep, Whites have never, ever, been nothing but great dealing with. Call them, and let them know what's up with the detector. They may have some suggestions, or they might ask you to send it to them.
Carl

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a sensitivity control on the Classic ID? If so, kick it down some notches.... Look around for power lines, etc. It sounds like some interference. It could even be buried lines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions