Is this old irrigation sprinkler head?

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter/ garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug this up at my fravite park thst was a army fort during the Civil War I think it's molded with concrete or something 20160903_172214.jpg 20160903_172218.jpg

Upvote 1

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure looks like it. Was probably hit by a mower, or some kid whacked it off out of spite.

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like a sprinkler head to me

OP
OP
A

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why is there concrete around it and how old is it? 20160904_144235.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Why is there concrete around it and how old is it? View attachment 1355173

Hmm...I'm thinking that might be white PVC pipe. Take a knife and, WITHOUT CUTTING YOURSELF....(or someone else! :laughing7:), cut a groove into the white coating. If it scratches easily and is bright white inside, it's PVC pipe. If it's hard like rock.....well, I dunno. That would tend to not make a sprinkler head pop out like it's supposed to. :tongue3:

EDIT: Actually, it "could" be concrete and still make sense. Might be from a bird bath or lawn ornament that has water flowing, or some type of flowing-water display piece that someone built. ...But I'm betting it's PVC.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not brass looks like cast or white metal, babbitt.So maybe some type of bearing cap.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not a sprinkler.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish these views had been included the first goaround. Sad thing is, it feels like I should "know" what this is...but at the moment I'm drawing a blank.

Allison, what's it look like on the inside, past the threads? Can you post that pic please? Also, see if the metal is magnetic. Got an idea swirling around...gonna have to wait for it to settle a bit, though. All I'll say right now is, maybe it's just a tad hasty to rule out this as possibly being a sprinkler head - but even more, I'm thinking something like a valve that turns a sprinkler system on and off. Gotta do some research.

Were you able to confirm whether the outer material is cement or other?

....Need to find out what's on the other side of the hole in the first pic of the OP. Dang - I gotta feeling this is gonna keep me awake half the night!

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, here's this. Maybe with this I can at least get some sleep...even though I haven't found an exact match yet.

I'm thinking it's an old model of water main shutoff valve. Fount a similar valve (top only) and, it may have been left in the ground after demolition of an old building, or updating of on-base water lines.

View attachment 1356006

OP
OP
A

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It won't let me see the pic's I will do some research after work tonite it's 7 am here and I Gotta leave at 8 I get off at 7.15 pm tonight

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a "Pop up sprinkler nozzle for a Buckner Lawn Irrigation Valve". Look up antique lawn sprinkler valves.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not a pop-up sprinkler. Been trying to find a match for it, as it looks a LOT like some of the lawn sprinkler shut-off valves I've seen out there. Just haven't found an exact match - for either the valve or the tool.

My thinking is that there used to be a pipe attached to the threads on the underside, and inside that pipe was a rod or shaft that went down, inside the pipe, to where the actual shut-off valve was. This would be for areas of moderately cold winters, where it was not normally necessary to drain the sprinkler systems. Nowdays, it's a given - drain the system before winter, or else risk getting fired! ...Anyway, that's my thoughts. But gotta stop here, as I'm burning up too much of my data allowance looking at all these search engine pics.

OP
OP
A

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wonder why is it made out of concrete I can't find nothing like that

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
That is 100% a sprinkler head. Looks like 3/4" npt or 1/2" npt pipe threads, hard to tell size in pictures. The white you see is not concrete it most likely is oxidation from corrosion. Maybe mad of pot metal.

OP
OP
A

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not concreat my step clean it up a little what kind of metel this is 20160906_211147.jpg 20160906_211137.jpg 20160906_211137.jpg 20160906_211137.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread