Is this platinum?

Lorrie

Greenie
Sep 22, 2004

Hi there, Been away for awhile. Can anyone tell me what these markings mean.
Found both rings in one hole, whahoo!!! Hunted for eight hours and ready to give up.
Before hurricane Fay on Daytona. To much sand brought in to hunt now!
Marked with 950 and 19k. No other markings!
Second ring very unique. Flips up and over into a different ring. Marked 950
Hope the pictures go thru.
Thanks Lorrie

Attachments

• rings.jpg
    rings.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0

Gulf Hunter

Jan 12, 2007
Galveston Co., Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 800s
950 can be kinda a tricky mark. Weight will certainly be a determining factor, as platinum is VERY heavy for it's size. 950 is used as a mark on both platinum AND a higher grade of silver, better than .925, savvy? With 19K, it would be highly probable that your ring is also platinum, but of course a jeweler's opinion should be utilized, if possible. Silver test acid could be applied to either piece to test for silver, but there may be some acid tests for PT, as well. Let us know, once you consult a professional, will ya?

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
I would say very likely yes, they are platinum
Platinum alloys are stated in parts of a thousand , so 95% platinum would be marked 950
The ring with the two markings appears to have gold on it, so the 19k would apply to the gold part, while the 950 is the platinum part
Platinum often bears the mark Pt. or Plat. in addition to the alloy marking, but that does not appear in all cases, as it is understood that the 950 means platinum alloy
I would have it confirmed by a jeweler that you trust, but I think you have made a huge score
Congrats! :thumbsup:

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Cool finds Lorrie and although I've seen them before it is great to see them again. NOW start posting more often and I need those two pictures. Send them to me... I promise to send them back.

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd would consider it sterling silver, because there's tons of silver compared to platinum lost.....till you get a jeweler to confirm one way or the other....Hope it is platinum........rdi

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lorrie,

Nice finds!!!

Try a jeweler to see if he can test them. I hope it's platinum, but either way they are both nice finds.

Let us know when you find out something.

Also, like Mumszie said, post some more of those nice finds. It gives us all encouragement.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread