Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Isuzu Mechanic Needed- problem still not solved

12 years is a fair amount of time to have any vehicle, the actual repair at this time will be more than the value of the car. I have some older model cars too and at some point you just have to let go.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin

spartacus53 said:
12 years is a fair amount of time to have any vehicle, the actual repair at this time will be more than the value of the car. I have some older model cars too and at some point you just have to let go.

Just handed off our 1996 Voyager (195,000 miles on the clock) to one of my daughters, no doubts she will get a fair amount of use from it yet as its mechanically in excellent condition. Paid $600 for it in '05 and put on one set of tires and replaced the brakes.

We replaced it with a 2000 caravan (129,000) and no doubt will put this one to good use. Seen way to many vehicles with a lot of life left in them go to scrap yards because the owners deemed them money pits, and then start complaining about the new car payment and increased insurance rates. :wink:

12 years old is just broke in. :thumbsup:

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes

My wife and I refuse to buy brand new.

We are happy not having payments. ;D

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blacksheep said:
[
12 years old is just broke in. :thumbsup:

I will have to disagree with you there. One of my everyday cars is 26 years old, and that my friend is just broken in with 334,717 miles on it ;D It's an old classic Mercedes 300 SDL so getting 500,000 or more miles should be no problem. Most of today's cars should get 2-300,000 so long as you maintain it and get regular oil changes. Still at some point you have to let go. I will let go when it either falls apart, or there is a problem like he is having that can't be solved. You are right about the investment, it is long term so long as you like what you have :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

spartacus53 said:
I have had the car less than one year. Maybe it was a mistake to buy it (I paid $300 for it) it has great compression, new clutch, tires and ran great while I had it.. I just repaired my older Mazda as backup. Riding the bus will not work for me. Thanks for the advice but I will repair it eventually. All my older vehicles were over 200,000 and running fine when I sold them. I always do all the labor myself, I am just not familiar with "modern" vehicles, computer codes or fuel injection. This is the first vehicle I have owned in the 90s. Its also the first vehicle that I was not able to repair myself but it will be done, I believe.

I just got back in town because my Mom passed away. The exhaust manifold is here.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

pygmy said:
It's a shame the forums mechanic has not volunteered a response.
Failure to right the problem would be embarrassing so I suggest a PM to McGearhead.
Who is "the forums mechanic?" McGearhead is helping.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Excavator said:
I suspect the rich condition could be caused (or compounded) by the cracked manifold, confusing the O2 sensors. But I see you are working to correct that.

I don't believe that crack would cause a blockage, but a blockage could exist for other reasons. If it's been running rich for a long time (sooty exhaust), the cat converter almost certainly would be clogged. The sudden increase in exhaust temp may have loosened enough soot to finally kill the cat. You don't have to guess about that, just use your vacuum gauge.

A clogged exhaust can cause high temps in the exhaust pipes. Running out of gas makes the mixture lean, which also raises exhaust temps. Both of these together may have cracked the manifold.

EGR- If it it's stuck open, you will see a problem. Stuck closed, I doubt you would see any change, since yours is a mechanical system.

Wish you luck, I know how aggravating these long term troubleshoots can be.
Thanks Excavator. I have been out of town. My manifold has arrived in the mail and I may work on it tommorrow.

The black soot had accumulated in the tailpipe before I owned it. (It was there when I bought it). The exhaust was loud before I ran out of gas. I just replaced the catylytic convertor but no change..

A new intermittant scraping noise appears to be coming from under the timing belt cover, the last time I drove it. The CMP code is back up. I will not drive it anymore. Tommorrow I will try to remove the timing cover, change the ex. manifold and check the EGR.

BTW my EGR has wires going to it and the EGR trouble code does not come up.

Thanks again. Stay in touch I may need your help.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
I have had the car less than one year. Maybe it was a mistake to buy it (I paid $300 for it)

I am just not familiar with "modern" vehicles, computer codes or fuel injection. This is the first vehicle I have owned in the 90s. Its also the first vehicle that I was not able to repair myself but it will be done, I believe.

I just got back in town because my Mom passed away. The exhaust manifold is here.

First and foremost, I am sorry for your loss. I wish I could help, but I know nothing about any Isuzu vehicles, like you my newest car is a 1986 560 SEL. The only thing I knowr about Isuzu's are the commercials with Joe Isuzu ;D

Although I no longer do my own work, I have a great mechanic that work for Mercedes for a good number of years. There are some cars that are just cursed from the beginning, I remember the older Dodges always had electrical problems, other manufacturers will have transmission problems, engine, etc.. Sometimes there are problems that are next to impossible to find, and I think you may have that there. It seems you are rebuilding the whole engine so you should stick with it and best of luck to you.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

spartacus53 said:
First and foremost, I am sorry for your loss. I wish I could help, but I know nothing about any Isuzu vehicles, like you my newest car is a 1986 560 SEL. The only thing I knowr about Isuzu's are the commercials with Joe Isuzu ;D

Although I no longer do my own work, I have a great mechanic that work for Mercedes for a good number of years. There are some cars that are just cursed from the beginning, I remember the older Dodges always had electrical problems, other manufacturers will have transmission problems, engine, etc.. Sometimes there are problems that are next to impossible to find, and I think you may have that there. It seems you are rebuilding the whole engine so you should stick with it and best of luck to you.
LOL. Thanks for your condolances and your opinions, but I repeat, the compression is very good and I havent done anything to the internal engine itself or anything that would be considered "rebuilding."

So far what I have spent is approximately $300. Im not anywhere near the point of giving up and I certainly dont believe it has reached the point yet of "impossible to find". This may be a simple problem of slipped timing belt, stuck EGR or fuel injector. I realize that a new car would be an improvement but its just NOT possible so dont go there please. You are not helping. I have a second vehicle for backup but its a small car and not as nice as this one. This car is not cursed.

ADDED: If this trucks needs a new engine, then so be it. But there are no signs that tell me I need a rebuild.
Thanks for your concern.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I never said get a NEW car, I haven't bought a NEW car since 1984. All my cars are used and some abused, but they all run. I mentioned my NEWEST is a 1986, that is far from new... From what you are saying too, I can't help but think that maybe it's a combination of things and that would make it difficult to pinpoint. I really give you credit for hanging in there and I am sure that you will get it on the road soon :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

spartacus53 said:
I never said get a NEW car, I haven't bought a NEW car since 1984. All my cars are used and some abused, but they all run. I mentioned my NEWEST is a 1986, that is far from new... From what you are saying too, I can't help but think that maybe it's a combination of things and that would make it difficult to pinpoint. I really give you credit for hanging in there and I am sure that you will get it on the road soon :icon_thumleft:
Ok I understand. I was confused with your comment.
spartacus53 said:

I just want to make it clear that this has been a well maintained vehicle up until the last owner, not a lemon or cursed, and buying another used vehicle is not the answer at this time.. I have a second car. It has been difficult to pinpoint the problem and I have had multiple problems, but I dont believe its impossible.

An 86 carbureted vehicle is easy to repair. Wait until you get to computerized fuel injection and trouble codes, and then maybe you will understand the problems I am having. 8)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
An 86 carbureted vehicle is easy to repair. Wait until you get to computerized fuel injection and trouble codes, and then maybe you will understand the problems I am having. 8)

No thanks, I feel your pain already.. I'll stick with my clunker..

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

lostcauses said:
Every thing I am hearing is the timing is wrong. You are going to have to check that timing belt. You might possibly do this by using the timing mark and pulling a valve cover to see were the valves are at TDC during the cycle.
TDC can be found by pulling a plug and finding when the piston is at the top of the crank shaft. A lot of modern systems are not marked on the balance wheel so once at TDC you can mark the balance wheel.

Update:
As most of you know,
my Mom passed away from a sudden stroke so I have not had time to work on my truck until today.

I was able to remove the old exhaust manifold.

I removed the timing cover to check the marks and here is what I found:

According to my Haynes Repair Manual, it appears that my timing belt may have somehow jumped one tooth.
Im not positive because there are several markings.
I need to read up on it some more but here are the pics to compare with the book.
isuzu camshaft pulleys book.JPG

The marks on the right appear to line up (the camera creates a bit of an illusion) but the marks on the left do not.
Also the center marks appear to be off a notch.
isuzu camshaft pulleys paint.JPG

The belt also has a tear and a cut groove..
It may have been caused by the missing bolt in the CMP sensor.
It may be laying down in the bottom. :dontknow:
Or it may be ripped from some other reason so I will replace the belt.
isuzu camshaft pulleys belt.JPG

What I would like to know is how could a belt skip a tooth? It appears tight.
Do the markings look wrong?
I need to check for TDC but the mark is down on the crank and I cant see it until I remove the outer pulley.
Thanks.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

The two camshaft pulleys used are identical. The intake on the left and exhaust on the right but I cannot get the marks to line up properly. I dont know which pulley is wrong until I find the TDC mark. According to the book I will need to remove the crankshaft pulley to see the TDC mark..

So what do you think? Is this the problem? ;D

It would account for the CMP code coming back up even though I just replaced it with a new sensor.

I thought the belt was fairly new. Maybe this is best to replace it now because I think its the interferance type. I should be considered lucky to get a warning. What would cause that hole in the belt? I need also check the tensioners.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

chances are pretty good that when the cog broke loose on the belt is when it jumped one tooth. that could easily be your problem. those marks should line up EXACTLY like the picture. If you haven't pulled the pulleys and belt, line up the right side with the mark first, then take the belt off, try not to move the pulleys, then turn the left one just enough to line it up with the mark. as long as you don't turn the engine over this should work. If you have a zero tolerance setup this will not be easy

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Sniffer said:
chances are pretty good that when the cog broke loose on the belt is when it jumped one tooth. that could easily be your problem. those marks should line up EXACTLY like the picture. If you haven't pulled the pulleys and belt, line up the right side with the mark first, then take the belt off, try not to move the pulleys, then turn the left one just enough to line it up with the mark. as long as you don't turn the engine over this should work. If you have a zero tolerance setup this will not be easy
Whats a cog?

I think I should install a new belt because Im afraid its ready to break. I bought a Dayco timing belt today for only $24.

It seems I cannot remove the timing cover completely without removing the bottom crankshaft pulley.
My book doesnt explain it well.

I was thinking of moving the left intake cam one notch, like you said, and try it to see if it runs better but I cant find the TDC mark on the crankshaft pulley. Maybe the right pulley jumped and not the left? That could cause an exhaust valve restriction, I think. I need to figure out which pulley jumped.
I think I need to remove the cover, find TDC and then line up all the marks with the new belt..

When I bought the car, the CMP sensor bolt was missing and I think the mechanic may have dropped it down and it caught in the belt making the hole and causing it to jump a tooth but Im just guessing. If this is true, I need to remove that loose bolt before it causes any more trouble. If you look closely at the belt, you may be able to see a score mark all the way around where it was scraping on something at one time..

Thanks. I should have checked these marks long ago but the trouble codes messed up my thinking.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

a cog is the little ridge in the belt that grips the teeth of the pulleys.
to find TDC remove the valve cover for the #1 cylinder, turn engine over by hand, watch the valves move up and down on #1, one of the valves for the #1 cyl will line up with your exhaust port, the other is intake, continue to turn the engine over until the #1 exhaust valve is closed and the intake valve has just closed, remove the spark plug for this cyl, insert a screwdriver into the spark plug hole, be gentle you don't want to scratch the piston, go back to turning the engine VERY slowly and watch the screwdriver when it stops coming out of the hole you are basically at TDC.
at that point you should be able to tell which one is off, however if you haven't pulled the belt or pulleys, at this point you should be able to line up the one that's off without problems, because if it was really off it wouldn't run at all
go ahead and replace the belt, yours is shot

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Thanks.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

PROBLEM FOUND!

but Im not happy. >:(

It seems I was correct that a prior mechanic had dropped a CMP sensor bolt down inside the timing cover. I found it lying down in the bottom.

It appears that the bolt cut the hole in the belt and it rode around several times perhaps causing the cogs to skip a few notches. The intake and exhaust valves dont open at the right time and the engine ran hot cracking the manifold.

It also accounts for the CMP code even after I replaced the sensor. Also O2 codes.

All I need to do now is try to find a picture of the proper crankshaft, TDC and cam position marks for this vehicle. I want to make sure I get it right. Pics later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread