It pays to read your manual!!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just took my Tesoro Vaquero out for the first time today..even though I have had it for a year.. it is my backup unit and prefered to go with my primary machine whenever I hunt..Anyway...after reading the manual..a couple of times and being an experienced detectorist, I thought..it would be so easy to get the hang of it.. Boy, was I wrong!!!

I took it out to a local ballfield..and tried to ground balance the unit...The machine was difficult to ground balance..as I was so positive I knew how to do it..It wasn't working as the manual stated in the instructions..Also..it was so erratic in the supertune mode...and there were so many false signals..There didn't anything wrong with the unit..but I was thinking..I had to be doing something incorrectly..Becoming discouraged, I left and immediately went through the manual when I got home..Going through the chapter...on ground balancing..I knew that I had done very step properly...But what was wrong? I went back to the beginning and reread the booklet carefully..and in the section on Air Ground Balancing...it stated you should turn the Ground Balance knob counterclockwise 5 times..then clockwise twice something which I ignored before previously. I did this,..and immediately took the detector outside to the ballfield...It worked perfectly..Problem solved...The detector was very stable..and worked fine in the supertune mode....

So I learned a very valuable lesson.....Always read and study your manual carefully..and don't think that because you are experienced...every detector will be so easy to learn.. Each unit is different and has it's own learning curves and nuances...Good Hunting!!

Merry Christmas to all!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread