It took 20 years, but I finally found a gold coin. Well, 4 gold coins. All French!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello THers!

I have been wanting to share this find now for a couple weeks, but was waiting for my friend to edit and drop the video first.

This coin was found at low tide on a rocky river edge. I was using a Garrett AT Max with the wrong coil considering the conditions, but it was too late in the day to change it. (NEL Thunder coil) I literally hit this coin with my predator hand digger at about 5 or 6". I'm still sick about it, but like the flowing hair half dime incident, at least I found it... I'm probably about as messed up about finding it as the person was who lost it 250+ years ago! I don't know exactly how it managed to separate into 4 pieces of pie in just one strike, but it did. I could probably whack a coin 100 times before it broke the way this one did. It's just crazy to me... I managed a few other very nice finds that day, as did my mates, but I will have to come back and edit this thread once the whole video drops. It was a disgusting and incredible day that I am truly humbled to have been a part of...

I know many of you don't like video shares on this forum, so I have attached some close-up pictures. If you're brave enough to watch the video, grab a box of tissues.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• GoldCoin1.png
    GoldCoin1.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 393
  • GoldCoin2.png
    GoldCoin2.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 339
  • GoldCoin3.png
    GoldCoin3.png
    262.6 KB · Views: 342
  • GoldCoin4.png
    GoldCoin4.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 77

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first gold coin last Friday. Nothing like yours but just the same a gold coin. I truly feel your pain! Still, a gold coin is a gold coin and not many of us will ever get to experience such a find. Congratulations and welcome to the gold coin club!

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was still an amazing find Brad. It is easy to say "don't beat yourself up" from our standpoint BUT really.
This is a find of a lifetime. You have all 4 pieces and a story.
I was just amazed when I saw the video. Garrett honorable mention if you ask me.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We watched the video a couple days ago on the tube and we are constantly amazed at all the HB finds! Congratulations!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find any way you look at it.

I eagerly await your guys' videos every Wednesday. Keep doing what you're doing :icon_thumleft:

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a beautiful coin broken or not, congrats

Golden Pull-tab

Mar 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin, sorry about the hit, hopefully 3rd epic find won't be a repeat. The guys need to pitch in and get you a custom made digger for your bday, something to keep your best finds from meeting a grim fate. I've made a rough design, maybe they can get one made at a tooling shop. Just point the handle at where you think the target is and dig that plug without fear.

Attachments

• The De-Bradinator.jpg
    The De-Bradinator.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 110

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin, sorry about the hit, hopefully 3rd epic find won't be a repeat. The guys need to pitch in and get you a custom made digger for your bday, something to keep your best finds from meeting a grim fate. I've made a rough design, maybe they can get one made at a tooling shop. Just point the handle at where you think the target is and dig that plug without fear.

:laughing7:

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Broken or not I'm still jealous! Let's just hope you don't flowing hair your next one. Anyways, great find Brad.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Amazing, just amazing. Congratulations on that treasure.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin Brad. i also wonder if it wasn't already broken before you got to it. Try a microscope on the edges to see if there is any microscopic wear on the cuts or if they are still razor sharp, all I can think to do.

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
Thanks for sharing b. I’ve “kissed “ a few as well. It happens. The vid was fun to watch. Don’t let em pic on ya too much [emoji12]. Been wondering if u boys want to come to the My little island to hunt pm me if there is any interest. Keep ur head down [emoji116]🏻

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Broken or not its a truly amazing find Brad. I hope Kurt, Bob, Bill and Leo paid up on the gold coin bet :thumbsup:
Keep up the good work boys. You all are an inspiration and a highlight on my wednesdays.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stellar banner.

Banner.

Banner.

Banner.

There... a banner for each one.

Super killer.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Utterly hilarious!! Hahah

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coin Brad. i also wonder if it wasn't already broken before you got to it. Try a microscope on the edges to see if there is any microscopic wear on the cuts or if they are still razor sharp, all I can think to do.

Fresh break. *sigh. Thank you!! Hope to bring it (them) to a meeting soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions