It took 4 years, but today I found my first FATTY

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after some BIG disappointments the past couple days at the Iron City Field, digging 11-12/43-44s only to find copper/brass fittings of some sort, and then one Screaming 11/45, 12/46-47 repeating on the 90, I was expecting at least an LC, but letting my mind race I envisioned my first Seated, only to uncover another brass/copper tubing end cap..........
icon_sad.gif
icon_sad.gif
icon_sad.gif

Today I tried to gain permission at a field that will probably go upwards of 500 plus acres, my map shows 4 homesteads and an old road through this property. Well one of the sites is reserved for the property owner's grandson's friend....... The other 3 sites including the old road, Permission Granted!! (2 different land owners) I found one site and worked it a couple of hours, finding my very first Fatty Indian! As usual the fertilizers/chemicals have taken a toll, I can't even get a date, the best I can make out is 1861 or 1864. The land owner also told me about another homestead on a different property I could hunt also. Before the day was over it was 25 degrees and not suppose to be above freezing for the next 3-4 days. So I will finish my brief 2014 season (hunting during school break) with my first fatty and permission at 4 new field sites!

Everyone have a great and safe new year!
Thanks for looking, Bill

Attachments

• photo (60).JPG
    photo (60).JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 175
  • photo (61).JPG
    photo (61).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 22
OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's real faint, but I think that's what I see also, kinda of a bummer to find your first one and not be able to get a definitive date.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found some indian head penny's up here in Nova Scotia. Most were completely unreadable but a few were nice. I never found a "fatty" yet though and probably never will. By the picture yours looks to be not bad shape at all. Did you consider a oil soak to see if it helps on the date and details?

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Find!!!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure that the date is a lost cause. I don't know how badly the chemicals may have affected it but I see good details under there, like possibly full "liberty" letters. I would give it a good oliove oil bath, I'm sure the detail will get better, even the date.:icon_thumright: Nice fat one BTW

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find and congrats.It might be 1863? if it is a thick cent

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yah! 1861 babyyyyyy!!!!

Sweet find on the Indian. A little go-getter fuel to find a seated silver or old copper

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats, love the IH and that is a good one

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the Indian Head cent find!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find buddy. Always fun to nail another first.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats in pretty good shape for a fatty. That's nicer than any one I have ever dug.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you don't mind, but I played around with your photo, trying to enhance the date a little. It looks like a '61 to me too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420030311.394945.jpg

Nice old coin that I hope to find some day!

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Old Dude, I don't mind at all. I tried to "enhance" it enough to get some details with Windows Photo Gallery, without skewing the original too bad. I was hoping for an 1861 as it is the lowest mintage of the Bronze issue Indians!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Old Dude, I don't mind at all. I tried to "enhance" it enough to get some details with Windows Photo Gallery, without skewing the original too bad. I was hoping for an 1861 as it is the lowest mintage of the Bronze issue Indians!

Actually it's made of Copper-Nickel & In pretty good Shape to.
A great Find.
Davers

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the fatty Bill! I found my first (& only) this fall, so I know how you feel. I did the same as Old Dude and am pretty sure it's a "1" . from your photo anyway. either way, it's gotta fit into that small window of time to be a fatty anyway. Great First!

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Chris, I took a better picture outside with natural "sun light" (little better detail) versus the glare under the light bulb and I do believe it is an 1861! I haven't tried any cleaning method yet other than a little soap and water.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us

Top Member Reactions